Rules question

Lennie

Reaction score
I was recently watching the replay of the Seahawks, Bronco's Super Bowl and I have a question.

During the first quarter Carroll challenged the spot of the ball when Wilson scrambled and dove out of bounds. After review, it was determined the spot was indeed closer to the first down marker but not quite a first down.

This may be a stupid question, but does that not constitute a successful challenge? While it wasn't a first down the spot of the ball was indeed determined to be closer.

I have tried to google this but have had no success.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
It did not make the first down. I agree it was moved a yard..but did not change the outcome of the challenge which was the first down. I have seen that play a few times.

rideaducati

Reaction score
If Pete had challenged the SPOT, it would have been a successful challenge. Pete said to the ref "we think he got the first down" or something close to that. It was the "wording" Pete used in the challenge. I believe Pete mentioned this in his post game presser.

OP
OP
Lennie

Lennie

Reaction score
rideaducati":2mg3ktz8 said:
If Pete had challenged the SPOT, it would have been a successful challenge. Pete said to the ref "we think he got the first down" or something close to that. It was the "wording" Pete used in the challenge. I believe Pete mentioned this in his post game presser.

I didn't know he said that. Why wouldn't Pete just challenge the spot of the ball? In either case he would have been successful.

marko358

Reaction score
The rule should be that if the original play was changed in any way after a review, proving that the refs got something wrong, the challenging team wins and keeps their timeout. Why do they over-complicate everything?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Lennie":bu9zg9fm said:
rideaducati":bu9zg9fm said:

I didn't know he said that. Why wouldn't Pete just challenge the spot of the ball? In either case he would have been successful.

Pete also mentioned that he would have to be more careful with his wording on challenges. It was a "heat of the moment" thing.

kidhawk

Reaction score
marko358":36ffz5ty said:
The rule should be that if the original play was changed in any way after a review, proving that the refs got something wrong, the challenging team wins and keeps their timeout. Why do they over-complicate everything?

The spot of the ball could be moved slightly on a LOT of plays, so they made the rule that when challenging the spot it must be in reference to whether it was a first down or not.

Here's a good site for referencing rules like this:

[urltargetblank]http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2015-nfl-rulebook/#rule-15.-officials-and-instant-replay[/urltargetblank]

ARTICLE 4. REVIEWABLE PLAYS
The Replay System will cover the following play situations only:

g. Other.
1. The position of the ball with respect to a first down.

ARTICLE 5. NON-REVIEWABLE PLAYS
Non-Reviewable Plays include, but are not limited to:

e. The position of the ball not relating to first down or goal line

253hawk

Reaction score
Refs blew the initial call and blew the review. And they missed the facemask. I was getting ready for XL* all over again.

I guess my .gif slowdown abilities are better than what the NFL can provide down to the zebra under the hood.

igEu5G2g73vqm.gif