Speculation: Holmgren to 49ers..

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I don't like it... Not one bit... But it is what a lot of us speculated after he left the Hawks, so not a real big surprise. But it could mean the 49ers become relevant again. He's the same man that resurrected the Seahawks from the dead after all... Wouldn't be thrilled with the move at all. Plus part of me would hate playing against him. Think Favre and the Vikings...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -the-49ers

JPatera76

Reaction score
Good for them but this doesnt hurt us. We're a defensive team. And that imo plays into our strengths. His teams are soft imo

Crizilla

Reaction score
bring it on

stop acting scared

bring it on. If anything, you'd be happy for Holmgren for another opportunity

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Crizilla":3s7ygtd3 said:
bring it on

stop acting scared

bring it on. If anything, you'd be happy for Holmgren for another opportunity

Yeah, true. I like Holmy of course. Just wish he'd have chosen the Jags or something, not our direct NFC rival. Of course, he kinda did do that with the Browns, and that didn't work out so well. But sounds like he's gonna coach now, and that's the part I don't like. Though the modern NFL has probably passed him by. At least I hope that's the deal.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I think the NFL has passed Holmgren by. I think we would see a similar result in SF that he had in Cleveland.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkFan72":fhcbj1y7 said:
I think the NFL has passed Holmgren by. I think we would see a similar result in SF that he had in Cleveland.

With all due respect to Mike, I will tend to agree. I think his time has come and gone, and that team is a ways from being anything to worry about.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bevell runs the WCO, not as pure as Holmgren but it's what we run, Holmgren the Coach I think can still coach, he is not detached from the game, the key is can he find a QB and will Baalke let him call the shots on how he wants the team built.

The other aspect is having a bigger personality then the GM something they are willing to take on.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
HawkFan72":rq9zgnrd said:
:13:

OrFan

Reaction score
I think he would have very little success. Like has been said above, the NFL has passed him by.

This is like an old player that doesn't know when to hang them up. He should stay retired.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He grew up in the City. We all know about the Walsh connection. He had an excellent offensive mind.

I hope he gets it he is a good man.

Tical21

Reaction score
Yeah, this scares me. I've got so much darn respect for that guy. Rumor has it that he called them last season and they weren't interested. Crazy what can happen in a year. I've thought he was going to get back into it, but was thinking more as an offensive coordinator. There is nobody on this planet I would rather have teaching my quarterback than that guy.

NINEster

Reaction score
Funny how Holmgren is regarded as a sacred Hawk, and not even remotely a Niner around here.

The guy was this close to taking over the Walsh Niners but instead they went with George Seifert. In hindsight the decision was probably a wash, except for when the Packers rose to prominence under Holmgren.

If it weren't for Holmgren knowing the 49ers offense inside out, there's a chance the Niners could have made it back to the Super Bowl but instead Green Bay had their run.

His teams could never beat those '90s Cowboys, even after the 49ers were good enough to do it themselves.

Marvin49

Reaction score
It's a nice little fantasy for 49er fans but I don't think there is even a remote possibility it happens. The speculation is that he's interested, not that they are interested in him. He was interested last year too and he didn't even get a call.

I'd love to be wrong, but sadly I don't think I am.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't think a set in his ways guy like Mike would ever work with the current other two legs of the troika in Balki Bartakomous and York.

Which is too bad, I have thought Mike wants a Niners gig since he left Seattle.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":nknnv2iu said:
It's a nice little fantasy for 49er fans but I don't think there is even a remote possibility it happens. The speculation is that he's interested, not that they are interested in him. He was interested last year too and he didn't even get a call.

Why are they not interested do you think? Championship pedigree, connection to the team's history, the city and an innovator of offensive football... what do you suppose their issue is with him?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1svmqjl7 said:
Marvin49":1svmqjl7 said:

Why are they not interested do you think? Championship pedigree, connection to the team's history, the city and an innovator of offensive football... what do you suppose their issue is with him?

No clue.

Both he and Shanahan were reportedly very interested in the job last year. I think for both men it represents a return to where it kinda started for them (In Shanahans case it was Oakland but revitalized his career in SF) and an opportunity to bring the franchise back to where it was.

I can only guess that Jed wants his own legacy and not a rehash of old Walsh protégés or that he in fact is too cheap to bring someone else in. I've never really given in to the "he did all this because he's cheap" scenario, but if he sticks with Tomsula here (as I'm expecting) it would go a long ways toward making me believe its true.

If he lets Tomsula and staff go...that'll kinda prove the opposite. Many of the coaches on staff have multi-year deals that he's have to pay off to fire them.

I guess we'll find out here in the near future.

aredub

Reaction score
I wonder if the 49ers would actually go for this. I don't see it as being a huge threat though. They are in serious rebuilding mode and with Baalke running the show, it'll be a while before they are relevant again no matter who the coach is. I bet Jim is loving it sitting back at Michigan

Marvin49

Reaction score
aredub":2fy2ol3e said:
I wonder if the 49ers would actually go for this. I don't see it as being a huge threat though. They are in serious rebuilding mode and with Baalke running the show, it'll be a while before they are relevant again no matter who the coach is. I bet Jim is loving it sitting back at Michigan

Could be...but I have and will continue to maintain that there is more talent there than people think. The problem is that where they are lacking are some of the most important positions on the field.....QB, O-Line, Pass rusher.

Pretty sure Kap is done in SF, so that makes QB a huge need. Jared Goff at the time of this posting has 6 TDs vs Air Force and they are threatening again. He'd look nice in SF but they have to lose to the Rams and they STILL might not get him.