2 and you're out

stack55

Reaction score
There reporting on NFL channel that Godell and the
Owners are drawing up 14 new rule changes.

One being if you get two personnel fouls you are
Automatically ejected from the game.
Richard Sherman has already said that it s a stupid rule.

IMO they should just stick to the judgement calls. If the
Players are fighting or throwing punches, throw
Them out. If you just did a wrong football move, give
Them 15 yards and move on.

And what gets me is there not addressing the what's
A catch rule.

firebee

Reaction score
stack55":2ezl0g7r said:

A catch rule.

If it's just two personal fouls... That's a stupid rule. 2 Flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct type of fouls... Okay. I get that, but if a player is unfortunate enough to get a late hit on a QB and then helmet to helmet on another player because they dropped right before contact and leveled their helmet with the defender's helmet... GTOH with that. It's a completely ridiculous rule.

Ultimately... I really think they just need to back off of making up new rules and trying to redefine existing rules. It seems to be making the officiating much worse. I don't recall officials making so many bad calls or non-calls before 2000. Seemed officiating was much better when general guidelines and common sense prevailed vs. now when you have a bunch of suits trying to technically define every aspect of the game.

sutz

Reaction score
firebee":hmv4ryrh said:
stack55":hmv4ryrh said:

A catch rule.

If it's just two personal fouls... That's a stupid rule. 2 Flagrant unsportsmanlike conduct type of fouls... Okay. I get that, but if a player is unfortunate enough to get a late hit on a QB and then helmet to helmet on another player because they dropped right before contact and leveled their helmet with the defender's helmet... GTOH with that. It's a completely ridiculous rule.

Ultimately... I really think they just need to back off of making up new rules and trying to redefine existing rules. It seems to be making the officiating much worse. I don't recall officials making so many bad calls or non-calls before 2000. Seemed officiating was much better when general guidelines and common sense prevailed vs. now when you have a bunch of suits trying to technically define every aspect of the game.
I'm pretty sure that in-play personals like facemasks and shit are exempt for this. It's aimed at the after the whistle unsportsmanlikes and taunting/fighting penalties. I read that on another discussion of this. If they do it that way, I'm all for it.

nwgamer

Reaction score
I had read that if the rule were applied to last season, there would have been only two ejections all year. I can't remember the name of the players but the story said it wasn't Josh Norman or Odell BJ.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
stack55":27sxezdc said:

A catch rule.

Absolutely agreed.

The general problem with rule creep is that people think that they can absolve all problems by creating hard and fast rules.

That's just not reality though. Instead, more generally referee discretion is the way to go here. Once we start enforcing ejection after two PF calls we're going to be up in arms over the guys who get ejected on a ticky-tacky PF call, or the guy who didn't get ejected over a ridiculously flagrant PF call because it was "only his first one."

Instead, refs should be encouraged to remember that they can eject people at their discretion.

Trying to take the humans out of human interactions with an overstuffed rulebook is just never going to work.

Largent80

Reaction score
The rule should be, if 2 players are in a scuffle, either NO penalty should occur, or both should get one.

How many times have you seen the retaliating player get the flag and not the instigator?

mikeak

Reaction score
Largent80":3b9v0nmq said:
The rule should be, if 2 players are in a scuffle, either NO penalty should occur, or both should get one.

How many times have you seen the retaliating player get the flag and not the instigator?

So in cases where one guy beats on another and the other doesn't do anything they should both be penalized?

Right now there are some that will not hit back and hope for the other guy to get the penalty. If your suggested rule was in place they would just go "sweet he hit me so I can hit him back - we are both getting penalized no matter what"

sutz

Reaction score
nwgamer":3ambjjgj said:
I had read that if the rule were applied to last season, there would have been only two ejections all year. I can't remember the name of the players but the story said it wasn't Josh Norman or Odell BJ.
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure the Noman/OBJ situation is exactly the kind of thing this rule consideration is aimed at.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Largent80":lgym38xj said:

I see what you did there :{)

Cyrus12

Reaction score
why not just leave the game as it is?? More bs rule changes...I really do not want to see it go down the same path as the NHL which is now unwatchable.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'm not sure why this is such a big deal to people.

Basically the NFL is saying... Don't cheap shot or you'll be gone.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sutz":1t5qs1hj said:
nwgamer":1t5qs1hj said:
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure the Noman/OBJ situation is exactly the kind of thing this rule consideration is aimed at.

Broncos player would have been ejected at the Super Bowl as well

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
sutz":b0t4qnx4 said:
nwgamer":b0t4qnx4 said:

That's the dumb part. This rule was aimed at them, however the rule they made wouldn't have gotten them ejected.

Good job NFL.

mikeak

Reaction score
Uncle Si":28mm4q2s said:

Not even that. They are saying - cheap shot once and we can live with it but you get your warning. Do it twice you are out.....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
mikeak":2e4rodoh said:
Uncle Si":2e4rodoh said:

Not even that. They are saying - cheap shot once and we can live with it but you get your warning. Do it twice you are out.....

Seems fair to me.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
My problem is not that it isn't valuable - but that it adds one more subjective assessment that is difficult to prove/validate, but can swing games or at materially affect them.

Back to the 2 person scuffle, nobody thinks that there will not be baiting that leads to a player being unjustly ejected? How many times are they going to miss the instigator, and instead eject the victim for retaliating?

Also, who believes this will be evenly enforced? Anyone watching the BS stuff from Porter in the Steelers/Bengals game knows this is not true. So certain 'golden' teams will be allowed to blatantly break the rule repeatedly, but other teams will end up scrutinized repeatedly - even when doing nothing wrong.

I trust no rules where I am asked to trust judgement of officials that already apply their emphasis unevenly.

Also, will we get stuff like in college where clear violations are let go for certain teams but ridiculous penalties are handed down for someone just doing their job? Anyone seen some of the BS the targeting rule has led to?

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Just dumb to even have it, gonna end up like Basketball or "soccer" now.

Hawks46

Reaction score
sutz":16yg8r76 said:
firebee":16yg8r76 said:
stack55":16yg8r76 said:

A catch rule.

I'm pretty sure that in-play personals like facemasks and shit are exempt for this. It's aimed at the after the whistle unsportsmanlikes and taunting/fighting penalties. I read that on another discussion of this. If they do it that way, I'm all for it.

That's the way that I heard it was that it was two unsportsmanlike fouls in a game.

Latest posts