Day 2 "upsets"?

renofox

Reaction score
PCJS said there were "upsets" in day 2 that forced them to make big changes in their draft strategy.

Everyone seems to assume they were targeting interior line, but that doesn't really make sense when you look at the players taken ahead of the Seahawks' picks.

2.1 CB Porter
2.2 QB Levis
2.3 TE LaPorta
2.4 TE Mayer
2.5 G Avila
2.6 EDGE Hall

Were they planning on going QB, TE, or G? No DL had gone off the board. It looks to me like they ended up with their highest rated DL.

2.7 OT
2.8 WR
2.9 EDGE
2.10 EDGE
2.11 TE
2.12 C Tippmann
2.13 CB
2.14 CB
2.15 EDGE
2.16 CB
2.17 OT
2.18 DT Benton
2.19 WR
2.20 CB
2.21 RB Charbonnet

I don't think they were looking at C this high, and Benton was the consensus highest rated IDL on the board to start day 2 - it's no surprise he was taken before their 2nd pick. Were they counting on him to fall to them with no alternate interior line plan?

After they traded 3.21, three DTs were taken in the next 15 picks - Turner, Martin, Ika. So there were viable candidates and they traded out anyway.

If there were "upsets" it appears they may have been on the offensive side. I don't see where the board really fell against them on the defensive side unless, for some strange reason, they were looking for CB or maybe another EDGE (when they already have 6 on the roster).

AgentDib

Reaction score
Good discussion topic.

I could have seen them really liking Avila who went directly in front of Hall. LG/C/RG flexibility which they have put a premium on and strong senior bowl showing.

In front of #52 really most of those guys would have been good fits for us. Branch as S/CB (#45), White as 4T (#46), Mauch as G/C (#48), Benton as 3T (#49), Smith as S (#51). Branch may be the most likely if we were talking about a trade up at the time, due to his excelling in quarters coverage which we could be implementing a bit more often with Karl Smith this year.

It would be fun if the NFL collected draft boards and released them 10 years after each draft.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think one of them could have been a tight end in the early 2nd round. LaPorta and Mayer are Seahawk-y as hell.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It was a great TE class... and we missed out.
Imo, tight end is one of our positions of strength. I'm glad they didn't take a tight end with so many other needs. Just my two cents.

I agree it was a strong class, but I like they guys we got.

In regards to the OP, I do believe that some of the D lineman such as Benton was who they may have been targeting. Tippmann at Center also could've been a play for them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
I agree with you guys thinking TE, or maybe OL, is what they were actually looking at. Take away CB and WR and those are the only positions where the day 2 picks (other than EDGE and RB, which they took) were much stronger than the early day 3 picks.

I think that's why they reached a tiny bit at EDGE - the offensive pick(s) they wanted were gone and they couldn't get a suitable trade down arranged. I'm thinking they really wanted Meyer, but maybe even Levis or Avila.

I think at 3.20 they didn't see anything at all they liked more than day 3 candidates, so they made the trade (which was excellent imo).

I just think the whole "the board didn't fall right for day 2 IDL" thing is not accurate. They were always looking R4-5 for beef.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
...In regards to the OP, I do believe that some of the D lineman such as Benton was who they may have been targeting. Tippmann at Center also could've been a play for them.
Benton was the highest rated day 2 IDL. Why didn't they take him at 2.6 after they got "upset" (jumped) on their offensive selection? They should have known there was a strong possibility he wouldn't be there at 2.21?

I'm not saying he definitely wasn't their preferred pick at 2.21, but I think he would have been less of a reach at 2.6 than Hall. The drop-off from Hall to other EDGE available at 2.21 was nothing compared to the drop-off in IDL after Benton.

I think they had 2.21 penciled in as ZC the whole time, knowing he would not be there at 3.20. Fans are underestimating just how crucial a RB1B is to PC.

The whole situation only makes sense if their board was set up for offense day 2 and beef on day 3.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
John said they had guys picked ahead of them that they had taken off their board due to physicals etc. He was just saying the draft was random this year. In fact he said it a couple times. He wasn't necessarily saying they had guys in mind sniped in the second round or later.
What I did find interesting was in their last presser John specifically said that they didn't have a great opportunity to draft a QB because three went off the board in the first four picks. He also said they talked to Geno and said they would pick a QB should the opportunity be there at 5. They were ready to pick a QB at 5 but it didn't work out for them. I have zero doubt they would have jumped at the opportunity to pick Stroud or AR. They knew Young wasn't falling to them.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Considering how little the Hawks have used a TE in the PC regimen a 2nd rd pick would have been a wate
They also block. Kind of important in this offense. If you don't agree, Zach Miller would like a word.

Also, there was like 130+ receptions by TEs last year. 3TE sets were important.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
IIRC, 3 of our TE's are on their last year. So there's that. Could have been looking to the future.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
JS said in his first or second night's presser that the first four picks went as expected, though maybe not to the exact teams. They were not surprised by those being off the board; but maybe they hoped Levis would go in that group, giving opportunity for one of the others at 5. There was no other QB in the draft they felt was worth the investment. That is no surprise.

Beyond those four, there were only two other players they would hold fast for at 1.5 without moving down. Witherspoon was one; the other... ?