Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Rams trade for Brandon Cooks

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Rams trade for Brandon Cooks
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:56 pm
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Re: Rams trade for Brandon Cooks
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:58 pm
  • Eh. Cooks isn't anything special. But man, the Rams are pissing me off
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Pats Brandin Cooks To The Rams
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:58 pm
  • They are going all in this year.

This year's first, and sixth round pick going to the Pats.
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:00 pm
  • That's a bad deal for the Rams.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:02 pm
  • D R E A M T E A M
    R
    E
    A
    M
    T
    E
    A
    M

I really hope this backfires on them because so far it looks like they have won the offseason.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:04 pm
  • drrew wrote:That's a bad deal for the Rams.

The Pats gave up a 1st round pick for him a year ago and are getting rid of him already? I would agree - it seems strange. Must say though the Rams are going for it though.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:04 pm
  • LOL! He's not that good!

"Hey, we'll give you a 1st round pick for a guy that you're probably not going to keep anyway. But we'll need a 4th rounder back just so that it doesn't hurt so bad."

Belicheck "A 1st for one of my 4ths? And that guy that played some position, Offense I think it was... Done."
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:05 pm

It is, but they're just getting anybody they can get their grimy little hands on. He's their easily their 3rd best receiver behind Kupp and Woods.

New England really knows how to manipulate teams into buying their mediocre receivers, don't they?
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:10 pm
  • Please keep crowning them. Gonna' make that much more enjoyable when they choke in the playoffs.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm
  • drrew
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:34 pm
  • Applaud them for goin for that ring, but in a vacuum this seems like poor value.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:50 pm
  • Donald, Gurley, Peters, Brockers, Joyner, Talib, Whitworth, and now Cooks all are up for new deals within the next two seasons.

This better work out for the Rams because that roster is going to get blown up.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:28 pm
  • I'd hate this move if I'm a Rams fan. If they don't win it all this year or next year, this offseason won't have been worth it.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:44 pm

I definitely am glad to see the Rams seem to have overpaid here, but I hate the fact that the fleecing bonus goes to the Patriots

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:53 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:I'd hate this move if I'm a Rams fan. If they don't win it all this year or next year, this offseason won't have been worth it.

That's what we gotta hope for. It's basically what happened with Seattle last year. Hopefully the same will happen to the Rams.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:54 pm
  • People acting like the Rams aren’t #2 in the NFL in cap room for 2019 (projected 90 million under, and only 1 million less than the Jets at #1) and #1 in cap room for 2020.

They can pay everyone who balls out in their system, collect comp picks on the guys who don’t, and a lot of these guys are just transitionary players and aren’t even supposed to be long term pieces anyway (Whitworth, Talib, and Suh).

The other neat thing about what they’re doing is these are all trades, so they’ve added a ton of talent at a low salary cost for 2018 and are still projected to nab two 3rd round comp picks in next year’s draft.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:26 pm
  • Good trade for the Pats.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:42 pm
  • Like it or not the Rams are better with Cooks. Wonder what NE is up to come draft day??
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:15 pm
  • A lot of talent but none of which are stable mentality and guys that weren't wanted by there previous team . Plus at the end of the day Jared Goff is a dud.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:59 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:People acting like the Rams aren’t #2 in the NFL in cap room for 2019 (projected 90 million under, and only 1 million less than the Jets at #1) and #1 in cap room for 2020.

They can pay everyone who balls out in their system, collect comp picks on the guys who don’t, and a lot of these guys are just transitionary players and aren’t even supposed to be long term pieces anyway (Whitworth, Talib, and Suh).

The other neat thing about what they’re doing is these are all trades, so they’ve added a ton of talent at a low salary cost for 2018 and are still projected to nab two 3rd round comp picks in next year’s draft.

Solid points. Rams are looking big picture.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:02 pm
  • Hope he can make Goff go from dud to stud in LA.Good luck!
    Back to School!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:26 pm
  • So much coping in this thread LOL. Giving the impression cooks is some kind of scrub or just a guy - he's not. They lost Watkins and got a other deep threat. That will help McVay stretch the field and get other guys open. If Goff can improve his deep ball, their offense will be even more dangerous.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:31 pm
  • Everyone saying too many egos on the Rams...is that not what we had when we had success? I am not saying Rams are gonna win the sb but they are a helluva lot better now than last season.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:10 pm
  • drrew wrote:Donald, Gurley, Peters, Brockers, Joyner, Talib, Whitworth, and now Cooks all are up for new deals within the next two seasons.

The rams are projected to have $110 million in free cap Space in 2019.
    For just this reason.
    Rambitious
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:59 pm
  • I'm not sure I'd like the trade if it was the Seahawks but it isn't 'awful' by any means.

The Rams now don't select until the late third. Then they have 3 4th's and 5 6th's.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:12 pm
  • original poster wrote:I'm not sure I'd like the trade if it was the Seahawks but it isn't 'awful' by any means.

The Rams now don't select until the late third. Then they have 3 4th's and 5 6th's.

What do you think they might do with those picks? I'm guessing they trade up in the draft or maybe package some of those sixth round picks with someone like Brockers or Barron in a trade to get some higher draft capital back.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:51 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:
    original poster wrote:I'm not sure I'd like the trade if it was the Seahawks but it isn't 'awful' by any means.

What do you think they might do with those picks? I'm guessing they trade up in the draft or maybe package some of those sixth round picks with someone like Brockers or Barron in a trade to get some higher draft capital back.

I'd say they will stick where they are in general, they may do some moving around but nothing dramatic I wouldn't say.

At this point they'll be adding depth guys and camp bodies.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:05 am
  • Rambitious wrote:
    drrew wrote:Donald, Gurley, Peters, Brockers, Joyner, Talib, Whitworth, and now Cooks all are up for new deals within the next two seasons.

For just this reason.

No, let's be realistic here. The Rams technically have $100m. But, that is before many players are paid. The best I've read on facts are that after paying all contracts due, Rams are at $40m.

Still a fair play for next year and by no means shoved outa the game: but let's keep it real.
    When you get to Helllll, John. Tel em Daisy sentcha.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:50 am
  • Who is B.B. dumping Cooks to go up and draft?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:36 am
  • RedAlice wrote: The Rams technically have $100m. But, that is before many players are paid.

Exactly, which is why the claim that this is a one-year shot and the team is going to have to be blown up because of it is so wrong.

Last year the Seahawks brought in rentals to try to supplement around their stars who were all on the back end of their second contracts. They pushed right up against the cap and didn't have cap room moving forward, so no matter what happened, they were a year or two off from having to blow things up, and they chose to do so this year instead of next.

The Rams on the other hand, are bringing in more pieces to supplement their stars who are still on their first contracts, and they've got nothing but cap room moving forward.

I guess one could complain that they're mortgaging the future with this by giving away draft picks, but I think that's wrong for two reasons:

1) Like other smart teams who are on the cutting edge of how to play this (Eagles, and Pats) the Rams have realized that we're well past the flat cap era in which draft picks were gold, and now that the cap is jumping every year draft picks have become overvalued and mid- and late-career talent is now undervalued. With the cap going up by 10 million a year you can basically bring in vet reinforcements and keep your team together as much as you want to.

2) Because they're trading for players they still have two third round comp picks coming back to them next year (they'll have four picks in the first three rounds next year), and it's not like they're without any draft picks this year either (they're sitting out day one, but they still have a 3rd, three 4ths, and four 6ths -- that's eight depth and develop guys coming in behind the stars they've landed).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:46 am
  • The Rams are going to be as competitive as any team in the league the next few seasons (at least). While I think NE got the better deal here, Cooks helps replace some of the deep threat they lost.

Cap wise...they are still in good position.

No Hawks fan enjoys seeing other Division/Conference teams get exponentially better but, I think we're in for some battles with both the Rams and SF.

As for our off-season, I'm still at a loss...little cap space, losses on both sides of the ball.

Anyways...that discussions for another forum.
    Elemas
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:53 am
  • With the Ego's they have brought it they could roll over most teams and dominate, however with those same ego's if they start off slow and have adversity the whole thing could implode, strong personality types are great if they positively reinforce a situation, explosive personalities as we seen can divide things quickly.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:27 am
  • They've lost/replaced a few very good players as well, so it's not a pure additive upgrade over last year's squad. That being said, what makes these moves troublesome is that they have an innovative head coach that will likely scheme to their talents. It's not necessarily an issue this year because we're hitting reboot, so expectations are different.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:05 am
  • Cooks going to be a beast in Mcvays offense look at what desean Jackson did in it despite kirk cousins overthrowing him alot. Don't think all the egos together will be an issue, wade Philips will keep them in check. Aslong as they stay winning everything will be fine for the rams
    SF49r
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:29 am
  • Passepartout wrote:Hope he can make Goff go from dud to stud in LA.Good luck!

Wow....
    A Pro Bowl QB is a dud... ??
    You do know Goff played in the Pro Bowl last year, ya?
    Rambitious
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:56 am
  • RedAlice wrote:
    Rambitious wrote:
    drrew wrote:Donald, Gurley, Peters, Brockers, Joyner, Talib, Whitworth, and now Cooks all are up for new deals within the next two seasons.

For just this reason.

No, let's be realistic here. The Rams technically have $100m. But, that is before many players are paid. The best I've read on facts are that after paying all contracts due, Rams are at $40m.

Still a fair play for next year and by no means shoved outa the game: but let's keep it real.

No, my post was realistic.
    And yes, over the next few years they do have a lot of players that need paying.
    Point is, they have enough cap $$ to pay who they want/need by and large.

I always keep it real.
    It’s what I do.
    Rambitious
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:57 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Everyone saying too many egos on the Rams...is that not what we had when we had success? I am not saying Rams are gonna win the sb but they are a helluva lot better now than last season.

We did, but imo there is a difference between adding multiple new big egos to a team and having a cohesive unit that played for quite some time together but consists of big egos.
    "It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back, in the draft, turn nothing into something"
    rossob
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:20 pm
  • In general even if I think this was an overpay - I would be psyched to be a Rams fan right now. I love it when teams sense a window and go all out to win it all. That ultimately is what it is all about.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:38 pm
  • If the Pats GM calls you then you have to know that he thinks you are a sucker.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:50 pm
  • Rambitious wrote:
    Passepartout wrote:Hope he can make Goff go from dud to stud in LA.Good luck!

Wow....

Goff is not a dud IMO, but his stats were largely a product of McVay's offense. Lots of easy throws and screens. He did flash some beast talent though. Up to him and his coaches to continue to develop. Also that OL was damn good in all facets last year.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:23 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:
    Rambitious wrote:

Wow....

Goff is not a dud IMO, but his stats were largely a product of McVay's offense. Lots of easy throws and screens. He did flash some beast talent though. Up to him and his coaches to continue to develop. Also that OL was damn good in all facets last year.

A year of film for teams to work with. The read option was not as devastating in 2013 as it was in 2012. So lets see his adjustment to the adjustment.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:26 pm
  • Rambitious wrote:

Wow....

David Garraurd and Andy Dalton played in the Pro Bowl too.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm

It might actually be the most brilliant of all off season moves.

Let’s revisit post season.
    When you get to Helllll, John. Tel em Daisy sentcha.
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    Rambitious wrote:

Wow....

Sick burn
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:00 am
  • getnasty wrote:
    Rambitious wrote:

Wow....

lol
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:40 am
  • Cooks now has them over a barrel for number one receiver money. I'm not so sure he is a number one receiver.

They've fashioned themselves a one-year window with a mediocre QB and a great D-Line. Their DBs have great name value but I'm not sold personally. Some okay receiving options, but nothing spectacular in my opinion.

Their coaching is pretty awesome though and for that reason I think they could make a good run at the Superbowl.
    Beren
    NET Rookie

Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:46 am
  • The Rams worship and/or Crowning is hilarious. This team hasn't won a playoff game since 2004, but yeah, let's just assume they will win it all :?
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:58 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    RedAlice wrote: The Rams technically have $100m. But, that is before many players are paid.

Exactly, which is why the claim that this is a one-year shot and the team is going to have to be blown up because of it is so wrong.

Last year the Seahawks brought in rentals to try to supplement around their stars who were all on the back end of their second contracts. They pushed right up against the cap and didn't have cap room moving forward, so no matter what happened, they were a year or two off from having to blow things up, and they chose to do so this year instead of next.

The Rams on the other hand, are bringing in more pieces to supplement their stars who are still on their first contracts, and they've got nothing but cap room moving forward.

I guess one could complain that they're mortgaging the future with this by giving away draft picks, but I think that's wrong for two reasons:

1) Like other smart teams who are on the cutting edge of how to play this (Eagles, and Pats) the Rams have realized that we're well past the flat cap era in which draft picks were gold, and now that the cap is jumping every year draft picks have become overvalued and mid- and late-career talent is now undervalued. With the cap going up by 10 million a year you can basically bring in vet reinforcements and keep your team together as much as you want to.

2) Because they're trading for players they still have two third round comp picks coming back to them next year (they'll have four picks in the first three rounds next year), and it's not like they're without any draft picks this year either (they're sitting out day one, but they still have a 3rd, three 4ths, and four 6ths -- that's eight depth and develop guys coming in behind the stars they've landed).

This guy gets it.

I'm still a little lukewarm on this trade - I assumed we would trade our first rounder, but after losing this years 2nd for a WR we didn't re-sign and now trading for a WR with only one year left...

I'll be stoked if we re-sign Cooks, Donald and Joyner before the season. We're over the cap right now, and the plan is to create room by extending them - hopefully it happens.

Interestingly enough, we had a great draft last year and didn't have a first round pick (traded back). I think we'll focus on LB early and maybe even trade up into the late 2nd round.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:01 am
  • Another interesting thing about this is that we didn't bring Watkins in until after training camp.

Cooks will have all offseason with the Rams, AND we actually tried to trade for him last year, so he's a guy that McVay covets
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 am
  • Rams will look good right up until the point they have to pay Goff, and they look to be setting themselves up fairly nicely for that too.

TBH, I wasn't that sold on Goff when he was coming out of college. It will be interesting to see what happens when his rookie contract is up.

I will be really interested to see what happens to the first team that decides to trade, or let walk, their franchise QB after his rookie deal is up. Is it possible that the right coaches can set up a system where an adequate QB, surrounded by an all-star cast, can make a run? It wouldn't surprise me to see the Rams give it a shot, maybe even the Eagles when you consider how their season went after their franchise guy went down.

Crippling a team, to pay a QB who is merely good, doesn't seem like a recipe for success to me.
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information