Do you have a favorite AFC Team?

jmahon316

Reaction score
It's a question that's been in the back of my mind for the past few years, and although I've really desired to like an AFC team as much as Iove the Seahawks, no team has ever really jumped out at me. I'm starting to like the Bengals though, and I really feel like next year they're going to turn around in a big way and have a good season. Do you have a favorite AFC team?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I've liked the Jaguars since their expansion days with Mark Brunnel, Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor. They've kind of always been my AFC team. Over the last 15 years or so, I've come to like the Ravens as well. Seems like a classy organization, John Harbaugh is a hell of a coach, and they've been pretty consistent with their success. Reminds me of the Seahawks but in the AFC.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
When I was a kid I loved the Dolphins.

I thought their uniforms were cool, and I thought Miami was this far away exotic always warm land that looked cool on TV when they'd play on MNF.

This kid from Washington was enamored with the sun, palm trees and entire vibe and look of the Dolphins.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I tend to cheer for athletes moreso than teams.

Right now, guys like Lamar, Mahomes, Watson, Kittle, McCaffery are awesome to watch.

I can't really bring myself to like the Bengals at all, personally.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'm going to badly age myself here.........

When I was a young boy like age 9 my grandparents got the first color TV in the family. This was like 1965 and my 2nd year of watching pro football. I was especially a fan of the AFL. My grandfather was a huge football fan and after they got that color TV, my family was out at he and my grandma's place for Sunday dinner. He turned on the afternoon AFL game on NBC and it was the San Diego Chargers playing a home game in now long gone Balboa Stadium. It was the first time I'd seen them in those powder blue uniforms with the white pants and helmets trimmed with the gold lightning bolts. That was it, I was a fan and I remained one until a couple of years ago when they went to LA. That spoiled them for me because I lived down in SD for almost 14 years from '89 to '02 and I felt like they abandoned the SD area. Of course once it was announced that Seattle would get a franchise (1974), I had serious fan eyes for no one else but I did continue to root for the Chargers as a #2 team until they moved or if their success had a negative affect on the Hawks.

As I said I always had a soft spot for the AFL so as a result I still root a bit for the Chiefs, Raiders, Jets and Bills. Even back then though I never did like the Broncos or Pats.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Always been the Jaguars for me, but it's hard to root for them with those new uniforms. Of course their previous uniforms sucked, too. I do miss the cool teal/black helmet they used to have, but they should have went back to their late 90s uniforms.

JGfromtheNW":3q1d4tcj said:
I've liked the Jaguars since their expansion days with Mark Brunnel, Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor. They've kind of always been my AFC team. [...]
Interesting...

For me it was the late 90s and yeah I was a kid who recently decided the 49ers were my team (not due to their winning; I chose them because of Bill Walsh and his sneaky offense, which I originally read about in the kid's library section, and their uniform colors), and here comes the Jaguars with Mark Brunnel, a poor man's Steve Young, running a similar offense (not the WCO, but the route patterns were similar), with uniforms that were different colors but had similar numbers and stripe patterns to the late 90s 49ers (not quite as prominent a drop shadow, but similar gold tracing around the numbers, and the thick black stripes on the pants).

So I immediately gravitated to the Jaguars, since they were in a lot of ways the 49ers AFC.

Maulbert

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1j21drhb said:
Always been the Jaguars for me, but it's hard to root for them with those new uniforms. Of course their previous uniforms sucked, too. I do miss the cool teal/black helmet they used to have, but they should have went back to their late 90s uniforms.

JGfromtheNW":1j21drhb said:
I've liked the Jaguars since their expansion days with Mark Brunnel, Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor. They've kind of always been my AFC team. [...]
Interesting...

For me it was the late 90s and yeah I was a kid who recently decided the 49ers were my team (not due to their winning; I chose them because of Bill Walsh and his sneaky offense, which I read about, and their uniform colors), and here comes the Jaguars with Mark Brunnel, a poor man's Steve Young, running a similar offense (not the WCO, but the route patterns were similar), with uniforms that were different colors but had similar numbers and stripe patterns to the late 90s 49ers (not quite as prominent a drop shadow, but similar gold tracing around the numbers, and the thick black stripes on the pants).

So I immediately gravitated to the Jaguars, since they were in a lot of ways the 49ers AFC.

Do you mean their current uniforms, which, aside from the shit mustard color rush unis, are actually kind of decent? Or are you talking about the two-tone monstrosities that gave rise to that awful gold-black helmet they wore from 2013-17?

This is what the Jags used to wear:
Jacksonville Jaguars e1430684026247
ap_titans_jaguars_football_77680362.jpg

This is what they wear now:
Iforms 053019 getty ftr 1kujhik50y6041sbc6vsq8jd68

They've definitely improved.

getnasty

Reaction score
For some reason it changes for me every year but this year i like Buffalo and Houston

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Maulbert":1meq2plm said:
5_Golden_Rings":1meq2plm said:

JGfromtheNW":1meq2plm said:
Interesting...

For me it was the late 90s and yeah I was a kid who recently decided the 49ers were my team (not due to their winning; I chose them because of Bill Walsh and his sneaky offense, which I read about, and their uniform colors), and here comes the Jaguars with Mark Brunnel, a poor man's Steve Young, running a similar offense (not the WCO, but the route patterns were similar), with uniforms that were different colors but had similar numbers and stripe patterns to the late 90s 49ers (not quite as prominent a drop shadow, but similar gold tracing around the numbers, and the thick black stripes on the pants).

Do you mean their current uniforms, which, aside from the $h!t mustard color rush unis, are actually kind of decent? Or are you talking about the two-tone monstrosities that gave rise to that awful gold-black helmet they wore from 2013-17?

This is what the Jags used to wear:
Jacksonville Jaguars e1430684026247
ap_titans_jaguars_football_77680362.jpg

This is what they wear now:
Iforms 053019 getty ftr 1kujhik50y6041sbc6vsq8jd68

They've definitely improved.
I think the new ones are better than the nasty gold helmet ones, and probably better than the late 2010ish ones. But they look too plane to me. Missing the gold trim on the numbers. So, I think the current ones are better than the recent ones, but not better than the 90s ones.

And not just the gold trim, but the font. The 1990s font was a lot more "Jaguar-y" than the current generic block font.

PH-101109981.jpg

Also they seem to have dulled the teal compared to the 90s look. But I do agree they are better than the recent super hero monstrosities.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I have to agree with JGfromtheNW about the Ravens, if the Seahawks weren't my favorite team, I'd root for them, I feel like they've been underrated since they joined the league. Plus, those purple and black uni's are just so good to look at.

olyfan63

Reaction score
KC Chiefs, though first I had to forgive them for their unceasing pummeling of the Seahawks in far too many years of the AFC West. They always had those big bruising O-Lines and the Nigerian Nightmare and guys like that and just ran right over the undersized Hawks DL, expecially in KC. Except for that one sparkling game where Derrick Thomas had 7 sacks but Krieg hit Skansi for the winning TD as time expired. Lately, KC has just been fun to watch, especially since Mahomes arrived.

I root for the Jaguars now too, on account of Gardner Minshew. His senior season at WSU was so much fun to watch. And the Mark Brunell years, lefty in his prime, I agree with the Steve Young comp during Brunell's peak years. Plus a UW guy. Brunell won a couple playoff games

I also tend to root for the Buffalo Bills, from back in the Marv Levy Jim Kelly days, even though they never won the big one in 4 tries. From their earlier era, truth be told, OJ Simpson was also so amazing for them back in the 70s and he was my idol as RBs go, and I recall him getting his 2,003 yards in snowy conditions. I would read his interviews and try his moves, and darned if they didn't actually work in 6th grade playground football!

I used to root for the Bengals back in the Boomer Esiason days, but these days, not so much.

Interesting that nobody's mentioned the Broncos yet, except as a dislike. I seem to run across Bronco fans quite a bit in my corner of the Pac NW. I would always root for them against the Raiders, back in the day. Monday Night Football in the snowy confines of Mile High Stadium was alway interesting to watch. I've had good friends who were Bronco fans, and have to admire their overall enthusiasm and loyalty to their team. So I'll generally root for the Broncos if they're not playing a more-favorite team of mine.

To round it out, I'll add the Chargers, when they were still in SD. Had some good old AFC West games with them, and Air Coryell and Fouts & Co. were always fun to watch. Then their SB year, with Junior Seau, sad how things ended for him. Plus the cool unis and lightning bolt helmets.

So it looks like I still have a little affection for all the old AFC West teams aside from the Hated Raiders.

Hate list... Raiders and Steelers.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I typically have rooted for the teams that suck...so Raiders Texans Bengals and Bill's. The Patriots and Steelers are my 31st and 32nd face teams.

pmedic920

Reaction score
If I wasn’t a Seahawk guy, or if something ever happened to them (Sonics style) I’d become a Texans fan, they would also be my current favorite AFC team.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I became a Ravens fan after Super Bowl XL. Its kind of funny because I was actually a fan of the old school Browns and they moved, kind of annoying to me. I learned to appreciate them again because they just brutalized the Steelers with Tsizzle, Ray-Ray and Ngata. It was therapuetic. So I kind of stuck with them as they were the underdog and like JohnBaugh somewhat.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Raiders, they dominated for years and did it their way and offered no apologies for doing it that way.

Why I liked the LOB also.

AR-150719915.jpg

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I used to really like the "luv ya blue" Houston Oilers of the late 70's. Earl Campbell was/is my favorite player.

They would have won Super Bowls, even with Dan Pastorini at QB, if they weren't in the same division as the Steelers. Having to go thru the wildcard every year left them too banged up to get past a fresher Steeler team. When they got Stabler I thought he was the missing piece until he decided to throw the ball to the other team an incredible 18 times in their 5 losses & 28 overall that year costing them the division, to the Browns, & forcing them to go the wildcard route again.

Latest posts