AFC the clearly stronger conference

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I had wondered if it was just my imagination, but it occurred to me, that this year, for the most part, the AFC has beaten NFC teams a lot more than not. I just had to know, and oddly, it's not a stat that anyone talks about, or can be googled. The only way was to count myself.

This was my figuring week by week, in case anyone feels like rechecking (Week. head to head game total, AFC/NFC record to date):

1. 4 1-3
2. 2 1-1
3. 3 3-0
4. 5 3-2
5. 5 3-2
6. 7 6-1
7. 6 4-2
8. 11 6-5
9. 5 4-1

It's kind of a tedious process and I'm not 100% sure I'm totally accurate, but I know at least close. So far this year, the record for AFC/NFC head to head games is 31-18 in favor of the AFC. That's nearly a 2-1 AFC advantage, and it says a lot about why those teams seem to get more media attention, or at least I'd think so.

That's quite an advantage. Makes me wonder if any NFC team has a chance to win it all this year? I guess possibly, but not as likely.

IDK why I cared, but it was interesting to find out for sure I guess...

Jegpeg

Reaction score
AFC is definately the stronger conferance at the moment but that is measuring strength in depth. The worst 4 team atm (Giants, Cards, Panthers and Bears) are all in the NFC and they will have no impact on the super bowl.

The Eagles are the only team with a single loss and probably the best team in the NFL this season so far so would have at least a 50% chance of winning the big one of they got there. The NFC doesn't have depth so if the Eagles slip up the next best NFC team, probably the Lions, would be underogs against not only the chiefs and Ravens but also the Dolphins and Jags but not to the point that the game would be a foregone conclusion.

Rosco

Reaction score
I had wondered if it was just my imagination, but it occurred to me, that this year, for the most part, the AFC has beaten NFC teams a lot more than not. I just had to know, and oddly, it's not a stat that anyone talks about, or can be googled. The only way was to count myself.

This was my figuring week by week, in case anyone feels like rechecking (Week. head to head game total, AFC/NFC record to date):

1. 4 1-3
2. 2 1-1
3. 3 3-0
4. 5 3-2
5. 5 3-2
6. 7 6-1
7. 6 4-2
8. 11 6-5
9. 5 4-1

It's kind of a tedious process and I'm not 100% sure I'm totally accurate, but I know at least close. So far this year, the record for AFC/NFC head to head games is 31-18 in favor of the AFC. That's nearly a 2-1 AFC advantage, and it says a lot about why those teams seem to get more media attention, or at least I'd think so.

That's quite an advantage. Makes me wonder if any NFC team has a chance to win it all this year? I guess possibly, but not as likely.

IDK why I cared, but it was interesting to find out for sure I guess...
Little late to the party,aren’t you?!

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
For years, the NFC was the better conference because they had the best QBs... in Rodgers, Stafford, Wilson, Brady (TB), Brees, Ryan and a few others like Murray and Newton.

Meanwhile, the AFC started stockpiling the earliest picks spending them on the best QBs coming out of college... so the pendulum has definitely swung in the AFC's direction because they obviously have the best QBs in the league right now... in Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson, Lawrence, Rodgers, and Tua.

The pendulum will swing back to the NFC but it likely will be another 10 years before it does.

Jac

Reaction score
For years, the NFC was the better conference because they had the best QBs... in Rodgers, Stafford, Wilson, Brady (TB), Brees, Ryan and a few others like Murray and Newton.

Meanwhile, the AFC started stockpiling the earliest picks spending them on the best QBs coming out of college... so the pendulum has definitely swung in the AFC's direction because they obviously have the best QBs in the league right now... in Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson, Lawrence, Rodgers, and Tua.

The pendulum will swing back to the NFC but it likely will be another 10 years before it does.
And now you can probably add Stroud to that list as the most promising of the next generation.