Rob Ryan hired to run Sheep's D

HawksSoc

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...yan-agrees-to-take-over-st-louis-rams-defense

Thoughts and opinions?

Seems to be good for us, he comes with a lot of hype but he's never coached a top ten unit, his Boys team last year had just 16 turnovers (4th fewest in league), while the rams led the league in sacks. Should be interesting to see if he can melt down the Rams like his brother has done so thoroughly with the Jets.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
He's going to be taking over a D with a lot of talent and will have Jeff Fisher, a defensive coach in his own right, as his boss. I don't think that it's going to be quite as disastrous as you all think.

Remember, they had Gregg Williams as DC before he was banned via Bountygate, and his son - who apparently no one liked - took over for the rest of the season. If the Rams could still put up solid defensive performances for the most part in that situation, I don't see how Ryan taking over is a downgrade.

themunn

Reaction score
He's never had a unit with top-ten talent to be fair.

The Cowboys were ranked 32nd when he took over, for example, and with Jerry Jones as a GM there's never much hope for you

I think this is a good move for the Rams (bad move for us)

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I see three quality teams developing out of the West next year. The Cards are in disarray but still have a solid D. It's going to be tough sledding to win this division, which is looking like the best in football.

GCrow

Reaction score
The Rams currently run a 4-3 right now right? Are they going to switch to a 3-4 now with Ryan?
Seems like most of their guys are better off in the 4-3.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Dallas had some huge injuries on the defensive side of the ball last year, the Rams just got better....

mikeak

Reaction score
volsunghawk":34092s3i said:
He's going to be taking over a D with a lot of talent and will have Jeff Fisher, a defensive coach in his own right, as his boss. I don't think that it's going to be quite as disastrous as you all think.

This

m0ng0":34092s3i said:
Dallas had some huge injuries on the defensive side of the ball last year, the Rams just got better....

and this

I think this is bad for us. Fisher and Ryan combined with good players and like 100 draft picks (thanks Redskins - I could have given you a guy in a wheelchair for a lot less) will make this a 3 team conference and I wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 teams make the playoff. At least we should have two easy wins against Arizona

chris98251

Reaction score
Ryan given the players he needs will have an aggressive attacking defense, they were hard to deal with last season I think Ryans fire will keep them coming. Fisher also is a defensive minded coach and will support Ryan in bringing in the guys he needs.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Oh great, that's 4 games a year with at least one pompous douche on the opposing sideline. Jeff Fischer won't get the TV airtime either because he'll just be standing there, calm and collected, so we'll get to watch Rob Ryan huff and puff up and down the sidelines yelling at referees, players, opposing players, and anything/one else that is around.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JesterHawk":1ci0an3z said:
Oh great, that's 4 games a year with at least one pompous douche on the opposing sideline. Jeff Fischer won't get the TV airtime either because he'll just be standing there, calm and collected, so we'll get to watch Rob Ryan huff and puff up and down the sidelines yelling at referees, players, opposing players, and anything/one else that is around.

It'll set the Rams defense back a bit, what's not to love?

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Good for the Rams, they need a boost! This will only help galvanize the Seahawks by making competition a lot tougher.

2013 going to be a fun season.

RedAlice

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":2zprjx7g said:
Good for the Rams, they need a boost! This will only help galvanize the Seahawks by making competition a lot tougher.

2013 going to be a fun season.

I'm not sure on this hire, but I highly doubt Fisher is going to jeapordize his young Defense that quietly made even your team surprised in that last game, and beat you the first game.

I was kind of hoping for a very quiet Rams off season with all media focus on Seahawks with Wilson crazy good and Niners in SB.

This is now an amazing division to play in. 2013 will be fun. NFC East can suck it.

Shinigami

Reaction score
In Rob's defense (pun) the teams he's been with as a DC have been pretty bad, and I regarding the whole team. The Raiders, Browns, and Cowboys either had an offense that virtually non existent or wildly inconstant which would always put more pressure on Rob's defense. If anything I liked most of what he did in Dallas, but that's not to say he doesn't deserve some of the blame with some of the poor performances, but I think the big issue with the Cowboys really didn't have anything to do with Rob Ryan.

BASF

Reaction score
GCrow":2bn4zpa6 said:
The Rams currently run a 4-3 right now right? Are they going to switch to a 3-4 now with Ryan?
Seems like most of their guys are better off in the 4-3.

Ryan ran a 4-3 with the Raiders then went to the 3-4 when he went to the Browns and stuck with it when he went to the Cowboys. He has only had one defense as the coordinator finish in the top ten and that was in yards for the Raiders, points allowed was middle of the pack that year. I am not really concerned about the addition of Ryan to the Rams. They were already going to be a very good defense this upcoming season. The question will become if they will be able to bring in an infusion of new blood with both Long and Laurinaitis signing very high cap hit contract extensions this season.

Shaz

Reaction score
This is an excellent move for the Rams

Despite his brash attitude he's a damn good D Coordinator

He'll get those boys playing hard

seahawk2k

Reaction score
His scheme typically borders on unsound, downhill and aggressive, its kind of boom or bust. If anything, I feel like the Rams needed a coordinator that's not quite so aggressive, yeah, they can cause problems with the way that front four attacks, but they run themselves out of plays and often aren't terribly interested in defending the run. This hire strengthens their mentality and it fits the style, but the style is chaotic and aggressive, but the more we see it, the better we do.

Latest posts