Dallas draft board leaked

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Dallas draft board leaked
Thu May 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Dallas draft board leaked
Thu May 30, 2013 1:04 pm
  • Really cool to see where Dallas had players placed. Good post !
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Thu May 30, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Huh, Desmond Trufant a 3rd round grade (my personal favorite CB in draft). Michael and Simon not on the board due to injury/other concerns. Yet, they had Dion Jordan rated 3rd overall.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu May 30, 2013 1:35 pm
  • EJ Manuel rated at 4th round interesting. The Seattle influence via Safties/Corners was evident they didn't like Trufant because of his height I would bet on it.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu May 30, 2013 5:27 pm
  • Not surprising as Jerruh Jones isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the NFL when it comes to judging talent.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 30, 2013 5:43 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Not surprising as Jerruh Jones isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the NFL when it comes to judging talent.

I think he does just fine at evaluating talent. His draft boards are very much in tune with what most other teams have, and he's had some very good draft picks over the last few years. Dallas has more regular season wins over the last 10 seasons than Seattle does. They've only posted two losing seasons in that span (2004, 2010).

The problem with Dallas is that for whatever reason they just seem perpetually unable to get over the hump. Part of that is because the NFC East has been a very competitive division during that period. Part of it is the erratic nature of Tony Romo. Part of it is luck.

If I had to critique Jones, I'd say that he trades up in the draft far too often, and that he does things just a bit too much by the book. He also puts too much stock in free agency. I look at his draft board and there might be 3 names on it that I'm not familiar with. I bet if I saw Seattle's draft board I'd maybe know half the names, and the names I don't know would be where the great picks come from.

Oh, and the extension he signed Romo to was retarded. But for the most part, I think he's done a solid job and has a more than solid track record.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 pm
  • The extension of Romo negates anything positive you said, kearly. That's just inexcusible, period. When Jerry knows, KNOWS, he can have a Barkley, for at most a 2nd, its plain inexcusible.

Jerry hasn't adapted to todays more "draft-centic" league and GM'ing.

Take 2012 for example. Sure, Claiborne's nice, but NOT on a team which badly just needs warm and cheap bodies. It was just dumb, Jerry searching and reaching for a shiny object. All their money is invested in few players. Dude turned down Holmgren this offseason. The only coach that could grind 10-11 wins out of Romo

The Cowboys are the late 90's Seahawks. They'll never get above 8 or 9 wins.

He's Al Davis circa 1986 or 1987. The plunge into insanity is beginning to manifest. The game passed him by 2 or 3 years ago (especially after new CBA), he's living solely off prior accomplishments.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu May 30, 2013 10:06 pm
  • Love your usual analysis Kearly, but have to disagree with ya! I think PE nailed it with the "shiny object", and fails to adapt points....... and yeah that extension for Romo was very stupid!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu May 30, 2013 11:12 pm
  • Jerry Jones is a blithering idiot and he has condemned cowboys fans to never-ending hell. Always "almost" there. He hits a good pick every now and then but he absolutely blows it on his picks. He absolutely blew it when he shot his wad to select Morris Caliborne. Overrated player that can thank Patrick Peterson for his draft status.

Jerry's running backs have been a huge failure and he always tries to fix things in FA just like Ruskell. He traded a starting DB to the Lions for Jon Kitna for crying out loud! After a season where Romo got hurt and his backup sucked. Talk about closing the door after the cow got out. There was a good chance Kitna would have been cut...but no... Then he is in desperate need of a DB so he pays through the nose for them... "JJ" is reactionary and by being so he short his team trying to fill a hole from 6 months ago. He really "F'ed" up when he fired Jimmy Johnson. The other JJ did things the right way, he built a young team through great drafting, much like Pete and John do...

Undead Al lives again, through "Jerrah the Pariah!"
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
  • pehawk wrote:The extension of Romo negates anything positive you said, kearly. That's just inexcusible, period. When Jerry knows, KNOWS, he can have a Barkley, for at most a 2nd, its plain inexcusible.

Jerry hasn't adapted to todays more "draft-centic" league and GM'ing.

Take 2012 for example. Sure, Claiborne's nice, but NOT on a team which badly just needs warm and cheap bodies. It was just dumb, Jerry searching and reaching for a shiny object. All their money is invested in few players. Dude turned down Holmgren this offseason. The only coach that could grind 10-11 wins out of Romo

The Cowboys are the late 90's Seahawks. They'll never get above 8 or 9 wins.

He's Al Davis circa 1986 or 1987. The plunge into insanity is beginning to manifest. The game passed him by 2 or 3 years ago (especially after new CBA), he's living solely off prior accomplishments.

Hole in one. Still Kearly's analysis is solid despite being wrong.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 am
  • pehawk wrote:The extension of Romo negates anything positive you said, kearly.

Yup. Pretty much.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri May 31, 2013 4:13 am
  • Glory hole.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri May 31, 2013 5:53 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:Glory hole.

This.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri May 31, 2013 7:20 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:Glory hole.

That was you saying "psst..." and beckoning me through that hole with your finger?

I always assume its theENGLISH or peaches, because, well, they’re British and I’m racist.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri May 31, 2013 10:06 am
  • Looks like they only had 1 player we drafted on their board, maybe I missed 1 or 2 others.

Jordan Hill, they had him a 3rd, where we got him. Interesting.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Fri May 31, 2013 8:04 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Looks like they only had 1 player we drafted on their board, maybe I missed 1 or 2 others.

Jordan Hill, they had him a 3rd, where we got him. Interesting.

I saw that as well looks like Hill was higher on boards than some people thought.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:49 pm
  • Jerry Jones has been open about his draft priorities in the past. Last year he traded his 2nd round pick (#45 overall) to move up for Mo Claiborne. A couple days after the 2012 draft ended, he publicly remarked that had he still owned the #45 pick, he would have used it to draft Bobby Wagner. Turns out it's a very good thing (for us) that Jones moved up for Claiborne.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:29 pm
  • Its been an unusual off season. So ....... anyone that wants to poke fun at the Cowboys best get their fill now. Cause the flat cap aint gonna last forever. And that cap penalty, for past transgressions, will be paid off directly.

Teams like the Cowboys, Redskins and Raiders are rapidly digging themselves out of cap hell. Future off seasons will return to normal.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:27 am
  • Jville, no offense, but I don't think Jerry's issues are going away. Just look at what happened with Garrett and Callahan over the past few days. It actually makes me reconsider my personal assesment on Garrett as a HC.

Dallas may soon be like a less extreme version of Oakland. You need to evaluate with an exchange rate. I.e. Tom Cable going 8 wins Oakland, converts to 10.5-11 in the real world.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:15 am
  • As long as Jerry remains owner of the Cowboys they will remain medicore and irrelavent. He's so arrogant that he can't see past his own nose. The current Callahan/Garrett fiasco is just the latest Chinese Fire Drill situation they have going there. Jerry wants all the power and recognition except he forgets he is niether a player, coach or GM even if he tries to be latter two.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:12 am
  • ivotuk wrote:Jerry Jones is a blithering idiot and he has condemned cowboys fans to never-ending hell.........

Yep, and that warms the very deepest parts of my heart. No fanbase I despise more unless it's the Stealers.
    Putting your eggs in the Romo basket after his endless failings in the clutch is a "What is he smoking?" moment. I'm nearly 57 and have been watching pro and college sports since 1964 and have NEVER seen ANYONE who finds more ways to fail when his team most needs him to not do so than Tony Romo. But I will say he's an excellent bet in fantasy football because his numbers are always good. :roll:
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:12 pm
  • I am guessing that Jerrah is getting old and doesn't want to just rebuild, lest he die before the Boys win another Super Bowl. That is what letting Romo walk would have done for the Cowboys; it would have been a "we're rebuilding" move. So Romo had all the leverage there. The only other option was to overpay a very good, but not top tier QB in the way that he did.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:18 pm
  • I still say that if you took Romo and put him on a team like SF or us or even a team like the 2010 Jets they'd be instant Superbowl contenders. Dallas has more issues than the QB.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:38 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:I still say that if you took Romo and put him on a team like SF or us or even a team like the 2010 Jets they'd be instant Superbowl contenders. Dallas has more issues than the QB.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I'm not sure I'd go as far as instant SB, but Romo's good. He was the best player on the field when they played a Clink last year.

Holmgren would've been perfect to keep Romo in check. Or, a coach that actually remembers the running game. Unless you're Brady or Manning you aint going to win throwing so much.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information