eric wright fails 49ers physical, then cut by bucs

NorCal

Reaction score
Hmm. Wonder if he failed for that particularly nasty physical malady known as "yourgettingsuspendeditus"

rideaducati

Reaction score
Damage control. They didn't like how hypocritical the trade made harbag look.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3bmdht1c said:
That's pretty good, Niner.

I don't know how I feel about the whole thing... on one hand, he was a 1st round talent and could definitely have helped our secondary, and on the other, he could very well have been more trouble than he'd be worth...

And overall, it doesn't really matter. Our secondary is the weak link on this team. Culliver actually played well in the first half of the season, but had some pretty big screw-ups in the playoffs. Rogers is getting old, and just doesn't present as good of a CB as he did in 2011 when he was a pro-bowler. Our only 'for-sure' starter will be Brown, but he isn't that big, he's more adept at covering the slot. The wild card is Nnamdi, can he play press-cover in our nickel packages? I doubt he makes the starting roster.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd say WR now that Crabtree's out for an unknown period of time is the other weak point on your team besides CB, but that's not a permanent issue the way the CB situation is. Being Seahawks fans, we're just spoiled at this point, with the embarrassment of riches that Carroll & Schneider have gotten us when it comes to DBs. Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, Browner, and Lane even looked really good playing for Browner while he was suspended.

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2mwwxn68 said:
I'd say WR now that Crabtree's out for an unknown period of time is the other weak point on your team besides CB, but that's not a permanent issue the way the CB situation is. Being Seahawks fans, we're just spoiled at this point, with the embarrassment of riches that Carroll & Schneider have gotten us when it comes to DBs. Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, Browner, and Lane even looked really good playing for Browner while he was suspended.

Boldin sort of negates the loss of Crabtree. Both are similar in production. Between Vernon Davis, Mario Manning, Kyle Williams and the unknowns (McDonald, Jenkins, Lockette and Patton), the 49ers are sitting decently well on the receiving front. Secondary is definitely the obvious weakness. It seemed the the 49ers FO valued pass rush depth over the secondary though. I guess they figured QB pressure making the secondary look good is the best strategy to continue with. To be fair, it did work for the first 13 games of the season until the Smith brothers got hurt.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":vydiba33 said:
Boldin and Crabtree aren't anything alike...Guess we'll see what happens when the real season arrives.

I agree... Boldin is a good 3rd down guy, but Crabtree really elevated his game to become a legit #1... I guess it remains to be seen whether Boldin can provide anything more than a 'physical' 3rd down receiver.

You mentioned that WR was our biggest hole, and while you can absolutely contend that, I see Vernon and McDonald contributing significantly to the 'receiving corp'. But we still need a number 2 WR to step up. Manningham really played well with Kaep (for the 3 games they played together), and he should be available Week 1 / 2. I see him as our next best WR, with the Jenkins as the wild card. The knock on him is he doesn't have the strength, but he definitely has speed...

man, the season can't come soon enough!!!!

NinerBuff

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":w06mpp91 said:
I didn't say WR was your biggest hole, I said it's the other weak point besides CB since Crabtree's out.

agreed

Scottemojo

Reaction score
For sure the Bucs tried to pull a fast one on the Niners, and the Niners detected booze on his breath. From July 8.

rideaducati

Reaction score
QuickLightning":1ze555rc said:
RolandDeschain":1ze555rc said:

Boldin sort of negates the loss of Crabtree. Both are similar in production. Between Vernon Davis, Mario Manning, Kyle Williams and the unknowns (McDonald, Jenkins, Lockette and Patton), the 49ers are sitting decently well on the receiving front. Secondary is definitely the obvious weakness. It seemed the the 49ers FO valued pass rush depth over the secondary though. I guess they figured QB pressure making the secondary look good is the best strategy to continue with. To be fair, it did work for the first 13 games of the season until the Smith brothers got hurt.

I think you should go do a little research on Boldin. As a number two WR, he used to be great. When asked to be the number one WR, he has never been very good. With Crabtree out and a qb that only throws the ball AFTER he sees a guy open, I don't see Boldin being very affective this year.