Lesean McCoy's inflated numbers?

kf3339

Reaction score
So watching the game and seeing the final numbers for McCoy I couldn't help but wonder if his final regular numbers were inflated because of the weak NFC East and the rest of their schedule.

His averages this game against a barely average defense were 77 yards (3.7 avg.) rushing and only 15 yards receiving. Not what I would call impressive given the hype.

This is what makes seeing who gets All Pro recognition sometimes pisses me off since I am confident in the NFC West his averages would have been even worse. On the other hand how do you think Lynch would have fared if he was in the NFC East and had their schedule to go against this season?

Just saying.

Seahawkx

Reaction score
And another interesting stat I learnt today was that he only averages like 3 yards per carry for first three quarters and than a whooping 7+ yard in the forth quarter. The reason is because of Chips high tempo offense which drains the opponents defenses by the 4th quarter and that's when this guy gets most of his yards. Nothing special to me.. I would take the Beast over him any day.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He's always been a great running back, the dude is slippery which is kind of puzzling the way he was shut down tonight. Still wouldn't trade Lynch for him.

willyum

Reaction score
Yeah he has always been a very good back. Add Chip Kelly and his offense along with Nick Foles playing good football his numbers dont surprise me. His game against the Lions in the snow was crazy

Basis4day

Reaction score
kf3339":afmfm5eo said:
So watching the game and seeing the final numbers for McCoy I couldn't help but wonder if his final regular numbers were inflated because of the weak NFC East and the rest of their schedule.

His averages this game against a barely average defense were 77 yards (3.7 avg.) rushing and only 15 yards receiving. Not what I would call impressive given the hype.

This is what makes seeing who gets All Pro recognition sometimes pisses me off since I am confident in the NFC West his averages would have been even worse. On the other hand how do you think Lynch would have fared if he was in the NFC East and had their schedule to go against this season?

Just saying.

If you're going to do that, don't you need to downgrade ET, Kam and Sherm because they didn't face stiffer competition at the qb position?
Many teams we better teams we played this year were good because of their defenses. Last year we had a gauntlet of Qbs.

You play who you play.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Every team has 4-8 games against "weak" teams.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kf3339":25py1gk9 said:

Just saying.

Are you referring to the Saints as a barely average defense? They are not. They are ranked in the top 5 in total defense during regular season. Their secondary is suspect but they have a solid front. Lynch only got 45 yards rushing against them too. Saints defense is much improved compared to past years.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/seasontype/2

DavidSeven

Reaction score
His numbers were inflated by playing in an up-tempo, read-option heavy offense. Look at the RBs who became stars under Chip at Oregon. Whoever gets to carry the rock for Philly is going to put up huge numbers routinely. That being said, McCoy has been a great player for a long time and was First Team All-Pro in 2011. He'd be considered an elite back with or without Chip.

kearly

Reaction score
He's the shiftiest back in the NFL right now. Nothing over-rated about him. Five minutes after I passed on him in my fantasy draft back in August I was kicking myself, I knew I'd just made a huge mistake.

KK84

Reaction score
Agree with kip 100%. There are many overrated players in the NFL. Shady is not one of them. Straight up baller.

formido

Reaction score
Basis4day":3f9e9ww7 said:
kf3339":3f9e9ww7 said:

Just saying.

If you're going to do that, don't you need to downgrade ET, Kam and Sherm because they didn't face stiffer competition at the qb position?
Many teams we better teams we played this year were good because of their defenses. Last year we had a gauntlet of Qbs.

You play who you play.

You definitely have to account for who someone plays. You wouldn't have a strong case in discounting the LOB's play, however, since they demolished the best QBs they faced this year. I heard a little bit of this "they haven't faced anyone" before the Saints game, and they went on to embarrass Brees, holding him to his worst YPA since he played for San Diego.

Basis4day

Reaction score
formido":ns7fnw2l said:
Basis4day":ns7fnw2l said:
kf3339":ns7fnw2l said:

Just saying.

You play who you play.

You definitely have to account for who someone plays. You wouldn't have a strong case in discounting the LOB's play, however, since they demolished the best QBs they faced this year. I heard a little bit of this "they haven't faced anyone" before the Saints game, and they went on to embarrass Brees, holding him to his worst YPA since he played for San Diego.

You said it, "this year". The tough teams we faced weren't QB driven. They were defensive teams. And we came within a hair of losing to Tampa at home and Clemmons on the road.

The LOB didn't need to face QBs that can put up ridiculous numbers like they did last year in Romo, Rodgers, Brady, Newton, Stafford, Griffin and Ryan.

I agree that the LOB is deserving despite that this year, just as McCoy is deserving this year. Despite the source of this post being based on his performance in one playoff game.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
Chip Kelly's system is absolutely perfect for McCoy. With that being said though he is a tremendous running back.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
youngchew":24cew29j said:
dontbelikethat":24cew29j said:
He definitely deserves the 1st team All-Pro. Dude was amazing this season.

/end thread.

Agreed. The top three in the league at the position is probably Charles, Peterson and McCoy in some order. Beast is great, but still think he's looking up at them three (though not many others if anyone).