NFL wants to ban the N-Word?

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread about this yet.

The head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which monitors diversity in the NFL, expects the league to institute a rule where players would be penalized 15 yards for using the N-word on the field...Newsome also said the committee talked about other slurs coming under any possible new rule, including homophobic slurs. Wooten, who previously has urged all players to stop using the N-word, thinks the NFL will rule an automatic 15-yard penalty for first-time offenders and an ejection for second infractions.

Hmmm. Use of the N-word is just too socially complicated for an outright ban to work, IMO. You're just not going to hear it on the field in any kind of "slur" context. Nobody's going to be Riley Coopering their opponents. You're going to hear teammates using it with each other (with social permission) and even between teams. But it's not going to be as a slur, at least on the field.

So this rule is dumb. It's not the actual word itself that matters, the six letters in a string. It's the intent. And this league is so afraid of intent, it won't penalize a team when one of its assistant coaches tackles an opposing player out of bounds. So they're going to try and take the easy route which will end up with enforcement that will swing between arbitrary and non-existent. Bad call.

chris98251

Reaction score
Banning language, I don't see how that could be implemented fairly, so as a lineman you call the guy across from you a Bitch is that gonna get flagged also?

They are trying to make the sport PC with a bunch of dudes that are in combat, so the white referee throws a flag and the Black referees look at him like WTF, do they need a review?

Then the Umpire gets on the mic and says, 15 yard penalty for saying the N word. What about when someone says Wet Back, or Dago, or Chink, or Redskin?

Everytime that team gets introduced at games do they throw a flag?

OP
OP
VivaEfrenHerrera

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Hehe... I didn't even think of that! Let's go to the head official for the call...

Tweeeeeeet.... Use of a racial slur, No. 98 on the defense. Fifteen yards. First down Redskins!

Sigh.

randomation

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":348e6iks said:
Hehe... I didn't even think of that! Let's go to the head official for the call...

Tweeeeeeet.... Use of a racial slur, No. 98 on the defense. Fifteen yards. First down Redskins!

Sigh.

This made me laugh way to hard I am a terrible person :(

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Ejected if it happens twice??!! They could cheap shot a player multiple times a game and not get thrown out, but twice for that stupid word cause it hurts peoples feelings good grief. Lets just call it what it is pansy ball. Bunch of spineless whiny babies.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":20j5gefb said:

Sigh.

Lololololololololol. Well done.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
You talk about gamechanging calls. The Refs really would control all aspects of the game then. May as well make it flag football or POWDERPUFF football and no talking or saying the word hike. If you cant say the word hike then you are flagged for illegal motion with your hands and feet. See how stupid this egomaniacal garbage is or can get? sheesh. I know.....15 yd penalty for saying egomaniacal. Sorry.

drdiags

Reaction score
The NFL is going to try to address the locker-room behavior as well. They may not be successful, but this is like the HR training you get about behavior at the work place. People still violate the rule but if a company wanted to crack down on it, they would be within their rights. The 15-yd penalty thing would have allowed the one umpire/ref leeway to penalize Trent Williams for calling him a name after the ump tried to get Williams to cool it with an opponent.

This isn't PC BS, it is telling professional players that they need to step up their smack talking game. I doubt it will get rigorously enforced but players will be warned to cool it and if they don't, they end up costing their team yardage. I am sure the coaches will get it under control at that point.

The league shouldn't have to do any of this stuff but there are fake tough guys out there that want to write checks with their mouths and know there isn't much an opponent can do, besides threatening to see them after the game or some such silliness.

This is on the players.

Sac

Reaction score
So, a bunch of white, authority figures in stripes is going to dictate how a mostly African American workforce talks to each other.

This is going to go over well.

drdiags

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":8zokspx8 said:
So, a bunch of white, authority figures in stripes is going to dictate how a mostly African American workforce talks to each other.

I think for the salary an NFL player is paid, he can resist the urge to drop a few N-bombs until he was off the job. Cannot have it all your own way. There is this thing called compromise.

chris98251

Reaction score
drdiags":3l8458fv said:
SacHawk2.0":3l8458fv said:

I think for the salary an NFL player is paid, he can resist the urge to drop a few N-bombs until he was off the job. Cannot have it all your own way. There is this thing called compromise.

We have compromised ourselves into a lawsuit happy country that can't do, say or do anything without someone crying injustice and sueing. So it starts with the N word, then what happens when someone says i'm making you my Bitch, or your wife sure was good last night, pity I'm going to score twice on you and you can't do nothing aboutr either of them etc.

Everyone is so hung up on a person that says a bad word or has a belief or point of view thats different or doesn't want to become mainstream that they are now a target. When does it stop?

Or you can go to Arizona and see what they are proposing there, right to refuse service for sexual oreintation. Yeah were a great society.

There comes a point where you have to let stuff roll off your back. These are grown men, just as most of us at work don't like everything we work around it or leave. Can't police everything.

Next thing were going to hear is a lawsuit against the NFL denieing men the right to get in touch with their feminine side.

drdiags

Reaction score
All this is true. Football is not the same as corporate America but it isn't like restricting some stupid conversation techniques is going to take away from the game. Trash talk is one thing, you cannot tell me dropping the N-bomb is going to enhance anything in the game.

Yeah, stand up for your freedom of speech but as a corporation, the NFL has a right to say what is allowed while performing in their corporate environment. Has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Corporations have to protect themselves and this is what the NFL is doing.

There are extremes for everything but I cannot pitch my flagpole on this particular invasion of my right to be an a-hole.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I will say this, if they can't stop benches from clearing and cheap shots and bounties etc how are they going to stop taunting and conversation on the line and when they are unpiling etc.

It's a feint attempt in my mind to do corrective action due to the official that was abused verbally. Again deal with the problem and fine or suspend the player, don't write a rule thats a blanket band side to cover the NFL for future litigation to say they addressed it.

Stuff between players should be that, the Dolphins locker room stuff should have been handled in house and recognised, the Referee should not have had to deal with it and like the NBA should have been penalized or thrown out, a couple times and it stops.

Rocket

Reaction score
As the proud owner of an extremely colorful mouth I feel this is a stupid decision,
especially since it was precipitated, in part, by the actions of a referee toward a player.

Clean your own home before you ride your broom into mine,
and work on cleaning up ACTIONS before words.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rocket":29skquzd said:
As the proud owner of an extremely colorful mouth I feel this is a stupid decision,
especially since it was precipitated, in part, by the actions of a referee toward a player.

Clean your own home before you ride your broom into mine,
and work on cleaning up ACTIONS before words.
BINGO!

OP
OP
VivaEfrenHerrera

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
drdiags":wvy4aujh said:
Trash talk is one thing, you cannot tell me dropping the N-bomb is going to enhance anything in the game.
Yeah, but nobody's really throwing around N-bombs in a Michael Richards kind of way, right? And that's the only really penalty-worthy context. Let's say Percy does something magical, and Marshawn forgets he's too close to a mic and says something like, "Damn! That n!gga's insane! That's my boy, right there -- we got some dawgs!"

Is that really something that needs to be addressed at the league level? And if they write the rule so that exact phrase does turn out to be a penalty, no way they'll be able to enforce it clean. So it'll just end up a law on the books that doesn't do anything. I dunno. Just seems like a tough and unproductive road to go down, however well-intentioned it might be.

And I say this as someone who would be happier with a good bit less taunting, posing and humiliating than many other fans.

drdiags

Reaction score
I am sure intent will not match delivery. I would hope the refs warn more than penalize. I am sure I will be cussing out refs when one of these penalties ruins a scoring drive by the Seahawks. I could also see where different crews enforce it differently, thus making people wonder why even have it in place. I would not enact the rule but I am not going to take the view that it is ruining the game, since at this moment I don't really know how seriously it will be enforced.

I guess when they are ejecting Lynch from the game for using the term as one of endearment, all you will be proven right and I will be shown a lemming. Goes with the territory.

drdiags

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2vrbvyxs said:
Hehe, well, I'm not taking the view that it's ruining the game either. And I certainly don't think of anybody as a lemming, lol.

Just having some fun with it. I like self-deprecating humor just to lighten the mood. I am just here for the beer. Rock still hasn't paid up though.