Bucs reportedly shopping Revis; may cut him by Wednesday.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
#Bucs are trying to sort out their options on Darrelle Revis. They’re uncomfortable paying him $16M. As @alexmarvez said, trading an option

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez 11m
.@Buccaneers stepping up efforts to trade CB Darrelle Revis, source tells @FOXSports1

I wound guess any trade would be made contingent on Revis taking a paycut, unless a team like Oakland or Cleveland is willing to eat the whole thing just to fill up their cap. Could be a good thing for Sherman's negotiations, but I always said Revis's deal was a smoke and mirrors deal that wouldn't be useful as precedent. However, if he restructures, then I could see it being a good baseline for Sherm.

Dtowers

Reaction score
There is some talk of the Bucs eating a portion of the 16mil to help facilitate the trade.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He doesn't fit what Lovie runs.

They want peanut Tillman in Tampa for sure.

Dtowers

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3imgdg3a said:

It's funny too because Lovie gave some lip service when he signed saying Revis could fit any system. So much for that idea.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Dtowers":2t38chqn said:
Scottemojo":2t38chqn said:

It's funny too because Lovie gave some lip service when he signed saying Revis could fit any system. So much for that idea.

Yeah, I know, but Lovie is all Tampa 2 all day. Right after he got signed I heard him and Polian talking about how the Tampa was still a relevant NFL defense. Which I don't doubt. But the idea that he values his system over unique skill sets kind of puts me off a bit.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Well, this escalated quickly...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
Short of a trade in the next two days, the Buccaneers are expected to release CB Darrelle Revis by 4 p.m. Wednesday, per league sources.

Dtowers

Reaction score
@Scott Agreed. Tampa 2 can be relevant with elite DL play and a stellar MLB. Not just those things but those two stand out as the most important to me. Lovie doesn't strike me as a huge innovator which is why I think he falls back on old standards and why I think he ultimately was let go in Chicago.

@David his contract is just so ridiculous for most teams to deal with and they know the Bucs font want him on the books at that price. Pretty obvious they don't have many options.

drdiags

Reaction score
I think Revis will get a nice 2-3 yr contract from his next team. I would think he doesn't get more than $10M, though he could slide down to $8M. Will help re-adjust the pay scale for Sherman and others looking toward next year. No way is Revis getting close to $16M but that is just my WAG.

BillHawks

Reaction score
Are the Browns ballsy enough to try for this secondary?

Haden
Revis
Byrd
Whitner

That looks like LoB East to me. Would be very, very, expensive though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Throwdown":smxcg757 said:
How much cap do the whiners have?

If Revis took less than his likely market value, it'd be a possibility

Wouldn't discount the Colts, Patriots or Broncos from making a run for him either.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Throwdown":3ss1tdi6 said:
How much cap do the whiners have?

I just had this thought, too. I think they just shaved $7M or so by cutting Carlos Rogers. Whitner and Tarell Brown are also FAs. In theory, they could cut loose of all those guys and go all-in with Revis. He would still need to take a paycut, though.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1ldgsbdj said:
Well, this escalated quickly...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
Short of a trade in the next two days, the Buccaneers are expected to release CB Darrelle Revis by 4 p.m. Wednesday, per league sources.

$16 million, 1st round pick, 3rd round pick. Up in smoke.

I remember when that trade happened and a lot of people thought that contract was smart for Tampa just because it didn't have guaranteed money. SMH.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Haha I was literally just talking to my friend who's a colts fan about Revis, he wants him

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Throwdown":34gjm2d6 said:
Haha I was literally just talking to my friend who's a colts fan about Revis, he wants him

Irsay's the kind of owner that would pay Revis and they have both the need and a ton of cap room

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
BillHawks":29onppno said:
Are the Browns ballsy enough to try for this secondary?

Haden
Revis
Byrd
Whitner

That looks like LoB East to me. Would be very, very, expensive though.
That's ballsey alright. Damn, it's not ridiculous even. But I see a possible Bears/Bucs trade brewing.