Dalton gets 6 yrs, $115 mil

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1soulvvo said:
WOW. The Bengals have massively overpaid here, IMO.
Agreed. Now the Bengals have a bad case of gingervitis, heheuheuheheuhehehehe.

*shows self out*

OrFan

Reaction score
Wow, who knew that Opie Taylor was worth that kind of money?

Weadoption

Reaction score
RW is gonna break the bank given his 1 ring and counting future.
He deserves it too.

ManBunts

Reaction score
I can only rationalize from guys like Cutler and Dalton getting this kind of cash, and then Kap making the actually surprisingly reasonable deal he did, that the world has turned upside down. And based on this, I think we can get Russell for like $50/year. Because none of this makes sense. None of it.

Sigh...but all that said, I still believe Russell understands the quality of the players around him and I don't see him taking a Flacco-esque deal that will kill the team. I ALSO don't see Schneider and Carroll offering it to him, frankly. They'll certainly make him a well paid man, but I think they've made it abundantly clear that they will not sacrifice the team for a single player

Popeyejones

Reaction score
For all we know Dalton's contract could be structured like Kap's, and we'll spend 48 hours guffawing about how overpaid he now is, only to learn that it's another massively team friendly deal.

For Hawks fans, I think the real question is if it is structured similarly to Kaps, what does that mean for Wilson? Does he follow the trend of Kap and Dalton, or does that ring push him into the more traditional (and back breaking) QB contracts we see with Brees, Romo, Cutler, Flacco, Stafford, Peyton, Brady, Manning?

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Wilson's deal won't be like Kaepernick's because as a team, we don't need the ability to cut Wilson each year. He's here for the long haul and there are zero questions about what he can do, fantasy players looking at accumulation-based stats be damned.

I don't think it'll quite be the traditional elite QB contract, though. We'll see.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Was referring more to the atypical salary de-escalators related to both individual and team performance which frees up cap room for the 9ers to get more weapons if Kap or the team aren't living up to expectations rather than the ability to cut him should something go really wrong.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I am a TCU fan.
I liked Dalton as a college QB.
NEVER thought he would pull a long term stating spot in the NFL.
Not sure this is great news for Bengal fans but it's great news for A.D.

Jville

Reaction score
Popeyejones":25pt1slu said:
For all we know Dalton's contract could be structured like Kap's, and we'll spend 48 hours guffawing about how overpaid he now is, only to learn that it's another massively team friendly deal.

For Hawks fans, I think the real question is if it is structured similarly to Kaps, what does that mean for Wilson? Does he follow the trend of Kap and Dalton, or does that ring push him into the more traditional (and back breaking) QB contracts we see with Brees, Romo, Cutler, Flacco, Stafford, Peyton, Brady, Manning?

It seems to be the new standard for teams that have not fully bought into a quarterback for whatever reason.

My thought is did the Patton Manning contract (because of the neck reservation) introduce this type of contract structure?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I almost have to believe that Dalton's contract is structured in a way that makes it not as bad as it seems based on the total value.....i.e. smaller signing bonus, less guaranteed money, back-loaded, what have you. Because he clearly is not a $19M/year quarterback. He's not even half that.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Sure enough, per Rotoworld...

Updating a previous item, the actual value of Andy Dalton's six-year extension is $96 million with a $12 million signing bonus.

He also gets a $5 million roster bonus in three days. The guaranteed money is just $17 million -- the roster bonus and Dalton's signing bonus. Dalton was already under contract for a little over $1 million this year, so across seven seasons the base value of his new contract is essentially $97.09 million -- $13.87 million annually. Dalton can earn another $19 million through escalators, per PFT. People, on Twitter, at least, freaked out about the initially-reported worth, but this is going to end up being a front-loaded, team-friendly deal.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Cincinnati, what are you doing?

Cincinnati, STAHP!

(Even with the details listed, it's still too much for a guy who's 'good' because he has AJ Green bailing him out.

drdiags

Reaction score
Seems like the price of doing business in the NFL. Bengals had to show Dalton some love, otherwise they undermine his leadership position. They have done well the past few years in building their team. I don't think this deal is crap crippling and if they change position on Dalton in a year or so, they could get from underneath the deal with no major issues.

How it impacts Wilson potentially getting a deal next year is not something I can say I can gauge. Looking at what was posted earlier in this thread, ~$14M/yr over the next 7 for Dalton, counting the $1M he was set to earn this year makes it a deal that could keep Wilson under $20M average for the life of his upcoming contract. We will find out in about 12 months or so.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I wonder if the current QB salary bubble will ever pop. What would it take for the Daltons, Cutlers, and Flaccos of the world to stop getting contracts that take up such a large amount of the salary cap?

KC is trying to resist giving this type of contract to Alex Smith; I wonder if they'll break the trend. Probably not.

Anthony!

Reaction score
drdiags":4o69q91d said:
Seems like the price of doing business in the NFL. Bengals had to show Dalton some love, otherwise they undermine his leadership position. They have done well the past few years in building their team. I don't think this deal is crap crippling and if they change position on Dalton in a year or so, they could get from underneath the deal with no major issues.

How it impacts Wilson potentially getting a deal next year is not something I can say I can gauge. Looking at what was posted earlier in this thread, ~$14M/yr over the next 7 for Dalton, counting the $1M he was set to earn this year makes it a deal that could keep Wilson under $20M average for the life of his upcoming contract. We will find out in about 12 months or so.

So new deal 6 years 115mil which means 7 years 116 mil which is 16.57 mil a year not sure were the 14 mil came from. I still think Rw will be around 18 mil

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
If Wilson asked for 18M/yr, I would jump on that. Note: I have not been hired as a NFL GM for a reason.

But Alex Smith is asking for 18M/yr, and if KC ends up giving that to him, Wilson might look at it and think that if Alex Smith can get 18M/yr, he should get 22M/yr (and he would be right).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ yep. Who knows if Wilson follows this mini-trend or not, but 22 million per is a totally reasonable get for him. I don't think he's worth it yet (IMO Rodgers is the only guy who is), but he's as likely to get there as anyone and has the ring already.