Sit the Hell Down Buddy!

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
The problem with sitting is, when a play happens, the guy in front of you usually anticipates it and stand before you do and blocks your view. So, we just stand the entire game.
At sounders FC games in the supporters section, flags block you view of any action at the net. If you'd tell them to stop they'd laugh and spit beer on you.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Couple of Seahawks fans got snippy with me last year when me and my buddies were slow to sit down while on offense. Said "i remember my first football game too"

Lucky I didn't have too many drinks in me at that point or else we would of had words.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
shush-librarian-be-quiet.jpg

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":8nsup8m2 said:
The problem with sitting is, when a play happens, the guy in front of you usually anticipates it and stand before you do and blocks your view. So, we just stand the entire game.
At sounders FC games in the supporters section, flags block you view of any action at the net. If you'd tell them to stop they'd laugh and spit beer on you.

We've been Sounders season tix holders since inception, and I've lost count of the times I've had to explain to new people sitting behind us that no one sits down at matches, so they can stop with their passive aggressive "hrrumping" and "disgruntled under their breath" complaining about us not sitting down.

jkitsune

Reaction score
FWIW, I think the main issue is that it's easy enough for people aged 15-50 to stand for an entire game, but many fans at the stadium have health issues, or their bodies aren't what they used to be, and many of them have been season ticket holders for quite a while (hell, maybe they even stood the whole game in their heyday). I personally just do whatever the guy in front of me is doing, but all things being equal, I try to sit on offense out of courtesy to the older couple sitting directly behind me.

I think the fact that the Jaguars sent the letter, even if I agree with the sentiment, is the funniest part. For a team that's desperately trying to maintain fan enthusiasm...

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jkitsune":1xkanase said:
FWIW, I think the main issue is that it's easy enough for people aged 15-50 to stand for an entire game, but many fans at the stadium have health issues, or their bodies aren't what they used to be, and many of them have been season ticket holders for quite a while (hell, maybe they even stood the whole game in their heyday). I personally just do whatever the guy in front of me is doing, but all things being equal, I try to sit on offense out of courtesy to the older couple sitting directly behind me....

Cheering is organic, there aren't set rules or perceived manners for cheering.

If the crowd's into the game and everyone wants to stand, then that's what people should do. I just don't like the sour pusses that think it's poor manners to stand because that's the way it's always been.

Now if there's just a couple knuckleheads standing and staring at their cell phones when everyone else is sitting down? Then that's different, but if you're in a section where everyone's going crazy standing and cheering for the whole game, then you should follow suit.

Largent80

Reaction score
Nobody sat in San Diego when we were there. Between that and 3 hours of tailgating my doggies were pretty sore by 5:00 pm.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":nvx8pdds said:
ZorntoLargent":nvx8pdds said:

We've been Sounders season tix holders since inception, and I've lost count of the times I've had to explain to new people sitting behind us that no one sits down at matches, so they can stop with their passive aggressive "hrrumping" and "disgruntled under their breath" complaining about us not sitting down.
You have gotten tickets since 1974? :D

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1x3mw029 said:
Couple of Seahawks fans got snippy with me last year when me and my buddies were slow to sit down while on offense. Said "i remember my first football game too"

Lucky I didn't have too many drinks in me at that point or else we would of had words.

:D :D Nice one.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I've been to one game. Sat in the Hawks Nest. I remember sitting like before the game started while I ate some garlic fries...and I think I sat down for a few minutes during halftime.

Who the hell sits down? That's for the visitor's section.

NINEster

Reaction score
I would say this:

I stand when watching 49er games at HOME, so long as the outcome is in any doubt. I'll be all alone standing. I remember clearly standing the whole 49ers/Giants regular season game in '11 at home alone because the game was tight the entire way through to till the very end. It's hard not to stand if you're into your team.

As far as the stadium experience, I like to stand as much as possible but will tend to sit if its appropriate. Sometimes people will only stand on 3rd downs for defense, or other big moments. It's a little weird maybe to be the only one standing in a section.

Never really had to think much. It all seemed natural, and if standing is that important in the moment, it's what I'll do.

Latest posts