Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OKC part owner Aubrey McClendon indicted (Recently Deceased)

Discuss any and all other sports-related topics. From the College Sports, Fantasy Sports, Archery to Water Polo and everything in between. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14880 ... ng-charges

Oklahoma City Thunder part owner Aubrey McClendon has been charged with conspiring to rig bids for the purchase of oil and natural gas leases in northwest Oklahoma, the Department of Justice announced Tuesday.

The indictment alleges McClendon "orchestrated a conspiracy between two large oil and gas companies to not bid against each other for the purchase of certain oil and natural gas leases in northwest Oklahoma." According to the indictment, the conspiracy ran from December 2007 to March 2012, during which the conspirators would decide ahead of time who would win bids, with the winner then allocating an interest in the leases to the other company.

Leasehold interests usually include the right to develop the land and to extract oil and natural gas for a period of time, typically three to five years.

Each violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a $1 million fine for individuals.

So one of the sleazy lying snakes who stole the Sonics is a crooked businessman too?

No way!!

twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• twisted_steel2 wrote:http://kfor.com/2016/03/02/police-former-ceo-of-chesapeake-aubrey-mcclendon-killed-in-car-accident/

He just died. WTF :shock:

Opps, sorry just saw your post Hawk-Lock

Sounds like a suicide to me. The police said he basically went straight into a wall, and he was going at a really high speed. Not to mention he was indicted the day before.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• From the ESPN article.

"He pretty much drove straight into the wall," Balderrama said. "The information out there at the scene is that he went left of center, went through a grassy area right before colliding into the embankment. There was plenty of opportunity for him to correct and get back on the roadway and that didn't occur."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14886 ... indictment

Terrible human being finally has his terribleness catch up with him, and he takes the cowards way out.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Should have taken clay with him
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• Wow. What an unexpected turn. I was going to post the initial indictment news yesterday as a bit of schadenfreude, but didn't.

Despite well-deserved ignominy from all Seattle (and really, all conscientious) sports fans, I hope that we can at least agree that this is a terrible blow to his family.

Stunning to see it unravel this way.
    Our Man in Chicago
    NET Veteran

• Its pathetically sad what some people will do to get ahead in life. i hope he did not leave behind a wife and kids.

May God rest your soul.
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

• A wife and three children.
    Our Man in Chicago
    NET Veteran

• Hmmm coincidence? I would look to Clay Bennett and check those brake lines.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Our Man in Chicago wrote:A wife and three children.

Lets keep this in mind with the comments.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• It smells, that type of scandal can bring a lot of people down.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I feel sorry for his family but not him.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Looks like he answered the question if he was guilty or not, GUILTY it is.
    I hope he has some sunscreen with him, as it's going to be more than slightly warm where he is headed.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Condolences to his family, but the guy wasn't a great person.

These things are always really sad. And I usually always feel bad for the family. Not to switch subjects, but did anyone hear about Monty Williams' (former Pelicans coach and now the OKC assistant) wife dying in a car accident last month. Just so tragic. I think he had like 5 kids, I just felt so bad for Monty and his family.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Intentionally crashed his car into a concrete bridge pillar at a high rate of speed while wearing no seat belt . . . interesting way to go. :34853_doh:

Prayers for his family.
    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:
    Our Man in Chicago wrote:A wife and three children.

Lets keep this in mind with the comments.

Sorry, but it sounds like this guy was a pretty $h!t person. The fact that he would take his own life like this, knowing that it will probably mess up his wife and kids pretty bad, instead of sticking around to be held accountable for what he's done makes him even worse IMO.

The guy is a selfish coward.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• I figured he would beat this, just like the Browns Haslam did on his federal charges. Guess he felt otherwise. I guess he will be remembered in a better light in Oklahoma than he will be here in the PNW. Schultz is the biggest weasel of that entire drama.

Not sure how much time he was looking at if convicted but rotten deal he left his family having to deal with.
    drdiags
    * The Doc *

• Danny O'neill speculated on ESPN that if the city of Seattle had held their ground and made the Sonics stay the final two years at Key Arena that they'd probably still be here as this guys business plummeted during the last recession and they would have been forced to sell the team to other owners.

Sounds like a suicide but maybe he was bumped off if he was going to rat out powerful people?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Danny O'neill speculated on ESPN that if the city of Seattle had held their ground and made the Sonics stay the final two years at Key Arena that they'd probably still be here as this guys business plummeted during the last recession and they would have been forced to sell the team to other owners.

Sounds like a suicide but maybe he was bumped off if he was going to rat out powerful people?

I've thought that all along, if they were held to the lease they'd still be here because soon after the economy crashed.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Danny O'neill speculated on ESPN that if the city of Seattle had held their ground and made the Sonics stay the final two years at Key Arena that they'd probably still be here as this guys business plummeted during the last recession and they would have been forced to sell the team to other owners.

Maybe Clay Bennett did it. I feel bad for his family though :cry:
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• I think there is a good chance that if we held them to the lease and they stayed the final two years that the Sonics would have been sold back to a local owner. I think McClendon lost most of his fortune shortly after the team was sold to OKC group.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:I think there is a good chance that if we held them to the lease and they stayed the final two years that the Sonics would have been sold back to a local owner. I think McClendon lost most of his fortune shortly after the team was sold to OKC group.

I didn't live here when this happened. Why didn't the city stick to their guns? 2 years is a long time for other things to happen with arenas etc They also had Durant by that point so weren't far away from being contenders.
    Last edited by Glasgow Seahawk on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• This guy called it 4 years ago...

253hawk
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:I think there is a good chance that if we held them to the lease and they stayed the final two years that the Sonics would have been sold back to a local owner. I think McClendon lost most of his fortune shortly after the team was sold to OKC group.

That is correct.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:I think there is a good chance that if we held them to the lease and they stayed the final two years that the Sonics would have been sold back to a local owner. I think McClendon lost most of his fortune shortly after the team was sold to OKC group.

I didn't live here when this happened. Why didn't the city stick to their guns? 2 years is a long time for other things to happen with arenas etc They also had Durant by that point so weren't far away from being contenders.

I think this explains things pretty well.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/yes- ... all-of-it/

The mayor had no backbone, and took a cash settlement instead of dragging it out another 2 years and waiting for a ruling on the lawsuit.

He tries to defend his actions in the article, but lots of good info in there.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• McClendon is leaving a legacy of earthquakes in Oklahoma for which he is almost singularly responsible.

He didn't approve of g** $ex so I can see why he took his own life.
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• McClendon and Bennett stole the Sonics but it was Howard Schultz who paved the way for them to do so. The real guilty party for Seattle losing the Sonics is Schultz. He takes most of the blame with city/government officials in 2nd.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• hawkfan68 wrote:McClendon and Bennett stole the Sonics but it was Howard Schultz who paved the way for them to do so. The real guilty party for Seattle losing the Sonics is Schultz. He takes most of the blame with city/government officials in 2nd.

I hate the OKC group but like you said there were a lot of pudgy fat fingers destroying the Sonics pie, see Stern and local government officials as well.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Wasn't McClendon the one who was quoted as saying that they wanted the Sonics, but didn't want the Storm because Oklahoma didn't want to import le$b!a*? Or was that different minority owner?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:Wasn't McClendon the one who was quoted as saying that they wanted the Sonics, but didn't want the Storm because Oklahoma didn't want to import le$b!a*? Or was that different minority owner?

I don't remember that quote, but it would not surprise me in the least.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• HAHA serves him right!
    LegionHawk12
    NET Practice Squad

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information