Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread
Sat May 20, 2017 3:33 pm
  • The Sounders won and got 3 pts but they should've had a more convincing win. They dominated the possession and shots but only came away with one goal.

Morris is too unselfish. He needs to be more greedy and take shots. He passed up some opportunities because he went for an assist rather take a shot. It resulted in the ball being taken away and an opportunity missed. He did earn a PK which Dempsey decided to waste on a kick straight to Rimando.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat May 20, 2017 7:40 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:The Sounders won and got 3 pts but they should've had a more convincing win. They dominated the possession and shots but only came away with one goal.

Morris is too unselfish. He needs to be more greedy and take shots. He passed up some opportunities because he went for an assist rather take a shot. It resulted in the ball being taken away and an opportunity missed. He did earn a PK which Dempsey decided to waste on a kick straight to Rimando.

Its just hilarious how there was Encroachment by Sunny on that PK attempt...where was our retake? HMMMM???
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun May 21, 2017 2:55 am
  • They won!
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Mon May 22, 2017 7:30 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:The Sounders won and got 3 pts but they should've had a more convincing win. They dominated the possession and shots but only came away with one goal.

I'm OK with the unselfishness, and remember most of those opportunities you'd maybe like to see Morris take are when he's coming in on bad angle runs. Very difficult shots to slip by the goalie.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 22, 2017 7:55 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:The Sounders won and got 3 pts but they should've had a more convincing win. They dominated the possession and shots but only came away with one goal.

Its just hilarious how there was Encroachment by Sunny on that PK attempt...where was our retake? HMMMM???

really?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 22, 2017 2:44 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:The Sounders won and got 3 pts but they should've had a more convincing win. They dominated the possession and shots but only came away with one goal.

really?

Here are the match highlights https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2017/05/21/rave-tv-recap-shipps-lone-goal-gives-sounders-win-over-rsl?autoplay=true

it doesn't seem like encroachment to me.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon May 22, 2017 4:05 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

really?

Here are the match highlights https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2017/05/21/rave-tv-recap-shipps-lone-goal-gives-sounders-win-over-rsl?autoplay=true

it doesn't seem like encroachment to me.

Same thing that Roldan got called for vs Chicago.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat May 27, 2017 7:33 pm
  • If you say so Smurf. Not only does that not look like encroachment but I've never heard someone argue for it... like anywhere.

Anyways,... 5 of the 7 games in the MLS were 1-0 tonight. Thought that interesting
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 29, 2017 1:53 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:If you say so Smurf. Not only does that not look like encroachment but I've never heard someone argue for it... like anywhere.

Anyways,... 5 of the 7 games in the MLS were 1-0 tonight. Thought that interesting

I only saw it argued one place...the similarities between that photo and the photos from chicago (where fire players were inside the 18) made me laugh.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Wed May 31, 2017 4:13 pm
  • Sounders didn't show up to play Columbus. Down 2-0 already and fielding a terrible lineup. Adekoya at forward? Bruin seems to be in Schmetzer's doghouse for some reason.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Wed May 31, 2017 7:13 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders didn't show up to play Columbus. Down 2-0 already and fielding a terrible lineup. Adekoya at forward? Bruin seems to be in Schmetzer's doghouse for some reason.

Bruins hurt. He broke his arm or similar.

As soon as I heard dempsey and morris were called up and we had no experienced forwards playing I wrote this game off. A joke they couldnt move this game to stop us being disadvantaged. Most leagues dont play when there are national team games nearby.

Think im done with Evans and Torres. Decent enough when they start but lately that feels rarer and rarer. Instead we get stuck with guys like Delem playing who is awful.

Fernandez is also a waste of a jersey these days. Which sucks as he was good in his rookie season.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 31, 2017 7:54 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders didn't show up to play Columbus. Down 2-0 already and fielding a terrible lineup. Adekoya at forward? Bruin seems to be in Schmetzer's doghouse for some reason.

Bruins hurt. He broke his arm or similar.

As soon as I heard dempsey and morris were called up and we had no experienced forwards playing I wrote this game off. A joke they couldnt move this game to stop us being disadvantaged. Most leagues dont play when there are national team games nearby.

Think im done with Evans and Torres. Decent enough when they start but lately that feels rarer and rarer. Instead we get stuck with guys like Delem playing who is awful.

Fernandez is also a waste of a jersey these days. Which sucks as he was good in his rookie season.

I forgot Bruin had hurt his elbow. Thanks for the reminder :2thumbs:

I would of rather they put Lodeiro or Shipp at forward. But it was a shit show for 90 minutes. Hope never to see that again but I'm sure we will as the season progresses. Depth on the team is very bad.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:53 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Think im done with Evans and Torres. Decent enough when they start but lately that feels rarer and rarer. Instead we get stuck with guys like Delem playing who is awful..

I've been done with Brittle Brad for 4 years, why we continue to give him 300k per year to play half the matches I have no idea.

Torres is the same way, dude can't stay on the pitch.

I'm more concerned with why all of a sudden, full strength or not we've become such a terrible road club. We used to be a great road club, even without being at full strength roster wise we could usually at least make it close, or even pull a match out.

This club is getting it's pants pulled down and spanked almost every road match now. Not a good trend.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:27 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders didn't show up to play Columbus. Down 2-0 already and fielding a terrible lineup. Adekoya at forward? Bruin seems to be in Schmetzer's doghouse for some reason.

Could someone explain the offsides rule to me. On those first two goals Columbus clearly had a player beyond the defenders before the shot and they were offsides when the ball was struck. Did the refs just miss the calls? The announcers made no mention of it.

I'm not saying it should have been called I am just asking for clarification of the rule.

Here are the highlights of the game.

Last edited by bigtrain21 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:33 pm
  • bigtrain21 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders didn't show up to play Columbus. Down 2-0 already and fielding a terrible lineup. Adekoya at forward? Bruin seems to be in Schmetzer's doghouse for some reason.

Could someone explain the offsides rule to me. On those first two goals Columbus clearly had a player beyond the defenders before the shot and they were offsides when the ball was struck. Did the refs just miss the calls? The announcers made no mention of it.

I'm not saying it should have been called I am just asking for clarification of the rule.

Offsides is not when the ball is shot, it's when the pass occurred (past the midfield line). Once the play is deemed onsides, the players can be anywhere when the ball is shot.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:39 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    bigtrain21 wrote:

Offsides is not when the ball is shot, it's when the pass occurred (past the midfield line). Once the play is deemed onsides, the players can be anywhere when the ball is shot.

So just to clarify. Those two players that got the goals, as long as they were onsides when they received the pass past the midfield line the play is deemed onsides?

If they pass to the player that is offsides that changes things right?
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:50 pm
  • bigtrain21 wrote:
    So just to clarify. Those two players that got the goals, as long as they were onsides when they received the pass past the midfield line the play is deemed onsides?

It can be confusing, so maybe a pic is in order.

But yes, it has more to do with who's engaged in the pass than the other players around him.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:07 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    bigtrain21 wrote:

But yes, it has more to do with who's engaged in the pass than the other players around him.

Thanks. I appreciate it. One last clarification from the picture you posted. If the guy with the ball would have just immediately launched a shot on goal instead of passing to the up top, would the guy in the center listed as offsides have been okay or would it technically be offsides?
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:49 pm
  • bigtrain21 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    bigtrain21 wrote:

Thanks. I appreciate it. One last clarification from the picture you posted. If the guy with the ball would have just immediately launched a shot on goal instead of passing to the up top, would the guy in the center listed as offsides have been okay or would it technically be offsides?

He would be offsides.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:01 pm
  • Some notes:

- Will Bruin's injury came at a pretty terrible time for us.

- It's really nice to have Brad Evans back. He's been solid since coming back. He was rested last night, along with Chad Marshall so that they, as older players, don't pick up knocks.

- Torres should be fully fit soon.

- Tony Alfaro has just about played himself off the roster. Besides a decent performance at LA Away, he's been garbage.

- Adekoya has a pretty nice game IMO, He made some good runs, had some good touches. Messed up his one big chance, but He'll learn. Not bad for his second time on an MLS pitch.

- I liked the attempt to play Jones at LM, but we were too weak in the back for it. He should have started at LB (where he moved to later).

- Harry Shipp picking up hip injury in training really hurt our selection. If he's able to go 90, I feel we would have had a better game. He and Bruin were brought in specifically for games like this.

- There is really no reason why the USMNT players had to be unavailable for this game. Kind of a crappy time to call them up, should have left strait from Columbus to Cali.

- I'd like to see Aaron Kovar on the pitch at some point. I think the kids a solid possession midfielder who can swing in a good ball. Pair him up with Will Bruin and I think good things will happen.

- Nico is KILLING me with his dead ball service this year. It's so poor. Lofted balls, not on target. Killing me. He needs to be better.

- I think this team has some pretty bad luck right now, but I also don't feel like they are doing enough to create their own luck. They aren't taking enough shots. I'd like them to just pepper the goal in their next outing. Be selfish. Shoot, and FFS shoot to the far post with your off foot. Deuce is the only one on the team who can do it, and its frustrating.

- Keep playing youngsters. Not just Morris. Get minutes to Wingo, Adekoya and others.

- I 100% still believe in Brian Schmetzer and that he is the man for the job.

- I also thing that, Despite there being 7 open roster spots, that Garth Lagerway has done a good job in not bending away from his philosophy. He has not bought a player yet that didn't have a distinct role within our club. He hasn't panic bought anyone.

- I'd like to see us try a few different things tactically, but I understand that with our fixture congestion that may be difficult. I'd like to see them try a 352/532 or a 343/541. I think we have better talent at CB then we do outside back and it could alleviate some of our roster issues.

Thoughts?
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:16 pm
  • Smurf wrote:They aren't taking enough shots.

They are 3rd in the league in shots taken. Their problem isn't that they aren't taking shots, it's that their shot accuracy is terrible.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:08 pm
  • It seems the Sounders are always the club most impacted by USMNT call ups. Each season it's the Sounders losing ground during call ups. Quite frustrating. Considering they are not playing well, it's even more frustrating now.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:10 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Smurf wrote:They aren't taking enough shots.

They are 3rd in the league in shots taken. Their problem isn't that they aren't taking shots, it's that their shot accuracy is terrible.

I'm aware we are 3rd in the league in shots taken...but its till not enough. The way we were playing early in the season we should be league leaders.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:29 am
  • Houston seemed like they didn't even wanted to be here last night, but we'll take it. Even when we went up 1-0 they didn't change their tactics formation wise. Not sure what that was about.

I hate to say this, but the Sounder's are a far more fluid and dynamic attacking side without Dempsey clogging up the middle demanding his touches and taking away from what Lodeiro does best, distribute.

Even shorthanded last night without Dempsey and Morris, I saw more possession, more GOOD possession (in final 3rd), and far more dangerous chances.

Lastly I like Jones at mid, he was for most of the match the only one putting pressure on Houston's back line, and worked very well with Lodeiro and Flaco.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:28 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Houston seemed like they didn't even wanted to be here last night, but we'll take it. Even when we went up 1-0 they didn't change their tactics formation wise. Not sure what that was about.

I hate to say this, but the Sounder's are a far more fluid and dynamic attacking side without Dempsey clogging up the middle demanding his touches and taking away from what Lodeiro does best, distribute.

Even shorthanded last night without Dempsey and Morris, I saw more possession, more GOOD possession (in final 3rd), and far more dangerous chances.

Lastly I like Jones at mid, he was for most of the match the only one putting pressure on Houston's back line, and worked very well with Lodeiro and Flaco.

They changed when they took Cubo out. Elis is FAST and they tried to beat us using his speed. It nearly worked.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:45 pm
  • Thoughts:

- Gutsy performance by Bruin. Not the best, but it was enough.

- Christian Roldan is the best player on our roster right now.

- Aaron Kovar looked really solid. He took players on, made good passes, showed strength on the ball, defended well, and most of all, he looked comfortable with the ball on his right foot. If we can get that type of performance from him consistently...watch out. He was awesome last night, and a big reason why we won.

- Torres gotta be careful. He's gotten caught a few times too high up the pitch.

- Ref missed a few calls last night, including a clear handball in the box. Par for the course this season.

- Gustav Svensson was a tremendous pick up. I'm curious if they could pull off a 343/352 with him in the back line of three with Marshall and Torres. He was great last night in the holding MF role.

- Joevin looked dangerous all night.

- Nouhou was pretty solid. He's QUICK and not afraid to go at someone with his pace. Picked out Jones last night really well.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:57 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Houston seemed like they didn't even wanted to be here last night, but we'll take it. Even when we went up 1-0 they didn't change their tactics formation wise. Not sure what that was about.

Dempsey is a tremendous player and his achievements are worldly but I still believe the wrong guy got sent to China at the beginning of last season. They should have let Dempsey go and made a serious effort to hang on to Martins. This team would be much better with a Martins and Morris combo on top.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:19 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Houston seemed like they didn't even wanted to be here last night, but we'll take it. Even when we went up 1-0 they didn't change their tactics formation wise. Not sure what that was about.

They changed when they took Cubo out. Elis is FAST and they tried to beat us using his speed. It nearly worked.

Houston subbed, but they never changed to a more aggressive formation to put more numbers forward.........Keller even commented on this during the match.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:36 pm
  • Fernandez has announces to urugian media he has played his last game for the sounders and is leaving shortly.

Not fussed by this, would rather give a young player a chance to develop.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:48 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Fernandez has announces to urugian media he has played his last game for the sounders and is leaving shortly.

Not fussed by this, would rather give a young player a chance to develop.

Ditto.

Appreciate Flaco, but he never came close to his prior form with the club. My guess is yes, we'll go young until the summer transfer window opens and try and get a DP winger.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:34 am
  • Attended a Sounders game for the first time (well the MLS iteration anyways, went to NASL Sounders games when I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s.) My wife, daughter and I went together and were so impressed with the atmosphere that we are now season ticket holders. It doesn't hurt that all 3 tickets cost less than what a single one would cost for the Seahawks (for partial season, for the full season all 3 will be slightly more than a single ticket for Seahawks.)

While my daughter is a Seahawks "fan" (she wants to be like me), she has never shown interest in actually watching any sport until the Sounders game. She followed what was going on closely and asked a lot of questions. Looking forward to being able to share this with her and hopefully it springboards her into actually wanting to watch and learn about American football as well.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 am
  • JustTheTip wrote:Attended a Sounders game for the first time (well the MLS iteration anyways, went to NASL Sounders games when I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s.) My wife, daughter and I went together and were so impressed with the atmosphere that we are now season ticket holders. It doesn't hurt that all 3 tickets cost less than what a single one would cost for the Seahawks (for partial season, for the full season all 3 will be slightly more than a single ticket for Seahawks.)

While my daughter is a Seahawks "fan" (she wants to be like me), she has never shown interest in actually watching any sport until the Sounders game. She followed what was going on closely and asked a lot of questions. Looking forward to being able to share this with her and hopefully it springboards her into actually wanting to watch and learn about American football as well.

Awesome.

I've had season tix since the 2nd season, and have a similar family story. Most of my family didn't care about soccer before we got our tix.........now except for the occasional complaints if it's a nasty weather day, they love going.

Especially in the summer, when it's a beautiful day or night there's no place better to spend the day then up at a match just walking around taking it all in.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:04 pm
  • Six Sounders are being called up to preliminary rosters for the Gold Cup this Summer. Final rosters will be made on June 23.

Clint Dempsey, Jordan Morris, Christian Roldan (USA)
    Jordy Delem (Martinique)
    Oniel Fisher (Jamaica)
    Roman Torres (Panama)

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:58 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Six Sounders are being called up to preliminary rosters for the Gold Cup this Summer. Final rosters will be made on June 23.

Clint Dempsey, Jordan Morris, Christian Roldan (USA)
    Jordy Delem (Martinique)
    Oniel Fisher (Jamaica)
    Roman Torres (Panama)

for the USA, expect Morris and Roldan to be in camp (from the impressions I'm getting) and Deuce to be called in as a replacement players after the group stage.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:41 pm
  • It disappoints me how poorly the Sounders are playing on the road this season. Can't believe that this team (most of the core players are still there from last year) won the MLS Cup last year. They won the cup on the road. They are playing awful right now. Yes, the field conditions weren't good yesterday but even if they were I don't see them winning the match. Jones is not a defender, needs to be moved to midfield. Jack Harrison was owning him all match.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:20 am
  • I'm still pissed about the Orlando game. We were comfortable all game only to give away that stupid foul then leave 2 vs 3 at the front post. Ughhhh Absolutely threw away 2 points. Starting to think if we can get anything in a trade for Torres or Evans to cash in. Wish Sigi had a new gig as he would definitely take Evans.

I liked the new player though, he had a good debut.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:36 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I'm still pissed about the Orlando game. We were comfortable all game only to give away that stupid foul then leave 2 vs 3 at the front post. Ughhhh Absolutely threw away 2 points. Starting to think if we can get anything in a trade for Torres or Evans to cash in. Wish Sigi had a new gig as he would definitely take Evans.

We don't need a trade, Lagerwey has already made it known that we're going hard after another DP once the summer transfer window opens in a couple weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get rid of Evans. But no one's going to take on his 300k a year salary for an aging oft injured journeyman who's mediocre at 2-3 positions.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:28 am
  • Not sure what's happening with Jordan Morris. If he's having a sophomore slump or what but he's had little, if any, impact this season so far. He was better last season.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:45 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I'm still pissed about the Orlando game. We were comfortable all game only to give away that stupid foul then leave 2 vs 3 at the front post. Ughhhh Absolutely threw away 2 points. Starting to think if we can get anything in a trade for Torres or Evans to cash in. Wish Sigi had a new gig as he would definitely take Evans.

who?
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:46 am
  • Nouhou. New as in the first time I saw him play. Wouldn't mind him getting a run at Lb and Jones pushed forward and Morris at Right Wing.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:48 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Not sure what's happening with Jordan Morris. If he's having a sophomore slump or what but he's had little, if any, impact this season so far. He was better last season.

Still think a lot of this is Dempsey related. I just feel the team has better chemistry without him and Lodeiro and Morris are far more influential when Dempsey is out.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:28 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Not sure what's happening with Jordan Morris. If he's having a sophomore slump or what but he's had little, if any, impact this season so far. He was better last season.

Still think a lot of this is Dempsey related. I just feel the team has better chemistry without him and Lodeiro and Morris are far more influential when Dempsey is out.

Dempsey is definitely having an effect on Morris but Morris is being asked to play in a role that doesn't really suit his abilities that well. That's one of the reasons Will Bruin leads the team in goals, he's a better fit in that role than Morris. That isn't really an indictment on the players but rather Garth for not putting the right pieces in place for this team to execute Schmetzer's system or Schmetzer for not adjusting his system to compliment the talents of one of his best young assets.

I never thought I'd say this but Cristian Roldan has not only surpassed Jordan Morris as the best young player on the Sounders. He may be the best young American in MLS. Roldan has the potential for a Jermain Jones like impact at CM for the Nats... right now... and he's only 22. If he can develop his vision and be more consistent timing his tackles, he'll be able to play just about anywhere in the world. Roldan is one of the few guys who came out virtually unblemished when I look into his advanced metrics.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Nouhou. New as in the first time I saw him play. Wouldn't mind him getting a run at Lb and Jones pushed forward and Morris at Right Wing.

Gotcha.

He had a pretty good night. He has all the physical tools, still super raw.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:51 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Not sure what's happening with Jordan Morris. If he's having a sophomore slump or what but he's had little, if any, impact this season so far. He was better last season.

To be honest, its all 3 of them. They never know where the other is going to be, and very rarely to they make space for the other.

Lodeiro and Dempsey love playing in the hole, behind the striker, and the midfield. The difference between them is, Nico will go to that spot all across the pitch. Dempsey has a pretty narrow window he'll drop into....So naturally they find themselves in the same space....a lot.

Jordan, on the other hand, never makes runs in behind. He doesn't stretch the defense. Which is odd, because you'd think thats his biggest strength.....sure, he is fast...but he never makes runs to the channels.....when he does get the ball he its because the pass usually puts him in behind...but he never forces the CB's deep to free up more room for Clint or Nico. This is something that went unsung about Valdez last year...not only was his hold up play good, but he was a very unselfish runner. Jordan just isn't doing that right now, and it pinches the space Clint and Nico have to operate in.

To be 100% honest right now, Jordan is probably a 60 minute player at best. If he only has 60 minutes of runs in him, he needs to make them all the time.

All 3 of them, Clint and Jordan above Nico, need to be more unselfish in their play.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:53 pm
  • knownone wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

Dempsey is definitely having an effect on Morris but Morris is being asked to play in a role that doesn't really suit his abilities that well. That's one of the reasons Will Bruin leads the team in goals, he's a better fit in that role than Morris. That isn't really an indictment on the players but rather Garth for not putting the right pieces in place for this team to execute Schmetzer's system or Schmetzer for not adjusting his system to compliment the talents of one of his best young assets.

I never thought I'd say this but Cristian Roldan has not only surpassed Jordan Morris as the best young player on the Sounders. He may be the best young American in MLS. Roldan has the potential for a Jermain Jones like impact at CM for the Nats... right now... and he's only 22. If he can develop his vision and be more consistent timing his tackles, he'll be able to play just about anywhere in the world. Roldan is one of the few guys who came out virtually unblemished when I look into his advanced metrics.

I'll do you one better. Christian Roldan is currently the best player on our team.

I am seriously hoping that Roldan starts alongside Acosta in the central midfield for the Gold Cup.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:51 am
  • Went to MN United v Timbers game the other night. First time at the new MLS set up. Exciting game and good atmosphere. Product on the field was a little to be desired. Not a fan of Timbers play.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:49 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Went to MN United v Timbers game the other night. First time at the new MLS set up. Exciting game and good atmosphere. Product on the field was a little to be desired. Not a fan of Timbers play.

That makes 2 of us.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:24 pm
  • Did Evans just piss the match away?

EDIT: Guess not. They managed to survive what should have been a gift to Portlandia.
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 am
  • I don't know what to make of that. Gutsy I guess. We were pretty comfortable for the first 40 minutes then shit hit the fan towards the end of the half. We looked the better team second half though with 10 men.

I'm not sure what else Evans could have done, was a pathetic clearance from Torres, I guess maybe let the striker take his chance and stay on the field? If Torres hadn't created the cross for the equalizer i'd probably have slated him today as both him and Evans have either been hurt or not playing too great lately.

Was a good result though, felt like a win in some way.

Nouhou looked good again when he came on, definitely think we should try Jones on the wing.

I'm still not sure what we need to get the goals coming in. Between Dempsey, Morris, Bruin, Shipp, Lodeiro etc we should be scoring way more. Another striker? Another creative midfielder? Jones at LM?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    I'm still not sure what we need to get the goals coming in. Between Dempsey, Morris, Bruin, Shipp, Lodeiro etc we should be scoring way more. Another striker? Another creative midfielder? Jones at LM?

I don't think Lagerwey's been coy about what he wants in a 3rd DP, he wants a winger.......which would help us not be so direct all the time with Dempsey and Lodeiro trying to create in a clogged middle. We desperately need a dynamic winger that can help stretch the defense.

Probably also why Morris hasn't duplicated last year's scoring output. Clubs are just shading to his side because there's no one that can make them pay on the other side. We had Flaco over there for god sake, dude barely scared clubs in his prime.

In cooler pics news, Dempsey owns the Timbers

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information