Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Same thing every season. Unfortunately I feel like we are better than our record because of the injuries, but even at full strength the team seems flawed. We have basically been starting #5 starter for quite some time now. Gallardo was brought in to be the #5, Miranda and all the others weren't even suppose to be in the rotation.

Good to see Cano back. Hopefully we see Paxton at some point on this road trip.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• I'm starting to wonder how Dipoto + Mclendon would have faired....

I still want mike hargrove back
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:...and Zunino hits a home run.

:rofl: :laugh:

And I missed it. Rats!
    Touchdooooooown SEAHAWKS!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• I guess Bergie came back down to reality... WOW
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:
    sutz wrote:...and Zunino hits a home run.

And I missed it. Rats!

It was a blowout homer.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:

And I missed it. Rats!

It was a blowout homer.

Haha yah... that's why I turned it. 10-0 in the 4th I said DONE! I watch every game but yah, couldn't suffer thru that one
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:

And I missed it. Rats!

It was a blowout homer.

Haha yah... that's why I turned it. 10-0 in the 4th I said DONE! I watch every game but yah, couldn't suffer thru that one

Man I don't know how you do it. There is no way I could watch every Mariner game. This team has been so bad for the last 15 years, I can't imagine watching every game for that long. I flip to the game and watch for a bit and then change the channel. Very rarely do I actually sit down and watch a full game. Maybe when the Mariners get good I will watch all their games. There is no way I'm wasting my time 162 times for about 3 hours each time.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:
    And I missed it. Rats!

It was a blowout homer.

Man I don't know how you do it. There is no way I could watch every Mariner game. This team has been so bad for the last 15 years, I can't imagine watching every game for that long. I flip to the game and watch for a bit and then change the channel. Very rarely do I actually sit down and watch a full game. Maybe when the Mariners get good I will watch all their games. There is no way I'm wasting my time 162 times for about 3 hours each time.

Not sure if anyone actually sits through and watches the game... I used to just have it on and once and a while glance over to see whats happening. I find there's never much worth watching on tv anyway so, having the M's on is ok.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:
    It was a blowout homer.

Not sure if anyone actually sits through and watches the game... I used to just have it on and once and a while glance over to see whats happening. I find there's never much worth watching on tv anyway so, having the M's on is ok.

They are officially circling the drain.
    No excuses for the pathetic offense.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• You know your team's dumpster fire level has reached new heights when the national media takes notice.

http://deadspin.com/the-mariners-are-a- ... socialflow

Translation: "This team is not just bad, it's so bad I have to write an article about it."
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:You know your team's dumpster fire level has reached new heights when the national media takes notice.

Translation: "This team is not just bad, it's so bad I have to write an article about it."

That's actually not at all what the article says. The "big sad mess" description is referring to all the injuries this team, and in particular, the pitching staff, has suffered.

That article isn't saying the M's are bad, it's saying they have been annihilated by injuries.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You know your team's dumpster fire level has reached new heights when the national media takes notice.

That's actually not at all what the article says. The "big sad mess" description is referring to all the injuries this team, and in particular, the pitching staff, has suffered.

That article isn't saying the M's are bad, it's saying they have been annihilated by injuries.

Well, they scored 4 days worth of runs today. 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You know your team's dumpster fire level has reached new heights when the national media takes notice.

Well, they scored 4 days worth of runs today. 8)

Ouch! :laugh: Nice to see some offense for a change, though. Hope it continues. It has been a painful time to be a fan.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:
    And I missed it. Rats!

It was a blowout homer.

I used to watch a lot of Mariner games on tv in the early 80's..They had a few good players that were fun to watch.
    I was watching the game where Gaylord Perry got thrown out for using vaseline on the ball.
    The teams were worse than todays Mariners and I only stopped because we moved out of state.
    It was all easier to do with less tv programs,no cell phones and no internet.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:
    It was a blowout homer.

Yah well not literally every game. I work... haha so the ones I don't watch I try to listen to on the radio. Any early games on weekdays I miss cuz of work. But I'd say I watch 120 or so games a year. Then it's the radio or espn.com
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Quite the offensive performance our boys have put up so far this road trip. Doesn't matter if our starting pitchers and bullpen threw a 1-2 run ball game cause the offense can't score. The mariners are cursed. There is no doubt anymore. Softy on KJR 950am Seattle said the other day he thinks that Safeco is built on an Indian burial ground. Made me laugh and I agree. Chris Taylor is hitting great for the Dodgers. Montgomery has a WS ring. Trumbo lead the AL in HRs last year... the list goes on. CURSED I SAY!!!!
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:Quite the offensive performance our boys have put up so far this road trip. Doesn't matter if our starting pitchers and bullpen threw a 1-2 run ball game cause the offense can't score. The mariners are cursed. There is no doubt anymore. Softy on KJR 950am Seattle said the other day he thinks that Safeco is built on an Indian burial ground. Made me laugh and I agree. Chris Taylor is hitting great for the Dodgers. Montgomery has a WS ring. Trumbo lead the AL in HRs last year... the list goes on. CURSED I SAY!!!!

Eh, I have a hard time believing that curse stuff. I do however believe in bad general managers and bad staff. Jerry Dipoto is just bad. Bad, bad, BAD. When you really stop to think about it, with all his wheeling and dealing, what trades have REALLY improved this team? He's traded for Miley, Karns ( Karns was the centerpiece of that deal), Gallardo, and Smyly. I'd say that's a brutal 0-4 on starting pitcher trade attempts. He did somewhat redeem himself with recognizing the Miley blunder by flipping him straight up for Miranda. I'm not sure how to feel about the Arizona trade. Segura and Haniger are nice, but they've both missed a decent amount of time this year. I hated that Taijuan had to be shipped to aquire them. I felt like he and Paxton were foundational guys for the rotation going forward. Two young guys who would be here for a long, long time. Now the rotation is old and decrepit. I wasn't really a big Chris Taylor guy, but wow, what a bad trade that was. Zach Lee never even put on a Mariners uniform. He was awful in Tacoma. Then of course you have the Montgomery and Trumbo trades. The Vidal Nuno trade (Nuno is having a rough year, but he was more important to the M's than Ruiz). Getting rid of Sucre was another bad move. He'd probably be the everyday catcher right now. He's looking good in Tampa Bay. Just so many trades and transactions, and this team is just getting worse. It's depressing. And since I'm already on a roll, how sad is Taylor Motter right now? This time last month he was hitting a healthy .320. Now he's down to .200. He looks like another one month Mariner wonder. Shame on us to think he was the real deal. I do partly blame Servais for taking Motter's hot hand away for a struggling Danny Valencia when he returned from injury, though.

All in all, Dipoto, Servais, Stottlemyre, Edgar..... they're all a big, big problem. And until this team is under new leadership, I can't see how maintaining a winning squad is possible.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Well, not a bad game today in Colorado. 6 runs from the offense, some decent pitching, holding the Rockies to 5 runs in nine.

Hey, Zunino got two hits today. :0190l:

Nice to see them start playing before the getaway game.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:Well, not a bad game today in Colorado. 6 runs from the offense, some decent pitching, holding the Rockies to 5 runs in nine.

Hey, Zunino got two hits today.

Heck the pitcher even got a hit today. :2thumbs:
    Anyone know when they get Haniger back???

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Well, not a bad game today in Colorado. 6 runs from the offense, some decent pitching, holding the Rockies to 5 runs in nine.

Not finding many recent reports. There's this, from May 19th: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/231254208 ... b-routine/

If there's any updates, it might be during the game tonight.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I am loving the grit and determination of this team. The hardships they are facing and battling through are amazing. What frustrates me the most is the maddening rate at which this team strands runners.

Dipoto has turned over this roster and yet they still display this characteristic that was the their achilles heel last year. And I wonder if it has to do with the core of the lineup. I like Seager-Cano-Cruz, and if you look at their numbers they look good. Cruz has a ton of RBI's, Cano had a career year last year. Seager puts up good numbers (though he is a notoriously slow starter).

Still, that core of the lineup has to deliver rbi's. Against the Red Sox they had 16 hits. 16!!!! And they scored 5 runs. The Mariners strand runners like no other team I've watched. And that will undo an offense, just absolutely undo it.

Every game it seems like Mike Blowers is lamenting about the Mariners' hits with runners in scoring position. Last year the Mariners were 17th in MLB, so statistically in the middle. Watching them it felt like it was worse. This year they are 25th out of the 30 teams.

I can't seem to find the individual figures for Seager-Cano-Cruz on BA/RISP. Cruz has a ton of RBI's, so I imagine his is not the problem. I'd like to be able to see this figure on an individual basis, though.

At a high level, though, the fact that the M's are hovering around .500 while dealing with so many injuries and other issues (e.g. Diaz's control issues), I feel really good about the team in general and Scott Servais in particular.

There are niggling issues like Dipoto letting Sucre go and getting Ruiz and Gosewich. I can't even begin to understand what he was thinking here. However, getting Haniger and Segura was a really great move. This team has great potential, and the season is still very young...
    We Fired Tom Cable!
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

• While I appreciate the optimism, they need to win a few more games to even "hover" around .500.

That said, you are spot on. This team has really been hit hard with injuries. It seemed to finally catch up to them during that 6 game losing streak, scoring an abysmal 4 runs (I think... it was bad whatever it was).

re: Haniger.. I heard he injured his leg during rehab. No idea if that would set him back longer
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• sutz wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    sutz wrote:Well, not a bad game today in Colorado. 6 runs from the offense, some decent pitching, holding the Rockies to 5 runs in nine.

Not finding many recent reports. There's this, from May 19th: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/231254208 ... b-routine/

If there's any updates, it might be during the game tonight.

Yeah that's all I could find as well. Even my fantasy baseball site has no updates.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• More Rockies Please.

M's have had some doozies this past road trip but made it fair..Glad that Felix.. Paxton and Kuma will be back soon.
    Miranda MVP
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Well I'll be, if they haven't gone and won 3 in a row. The offense is hot the past few days. Keep it going. They really do have a potentially very potent lineup. Both rookies Gamel and Heredia are hitting over .300. Segura and Cano have been on fire lately.

From what I watched Sun and Mon, it looks like Diaz is getting it together. Mechanically, he's smoother and he was pitching very aggressively. He looked outstanding.

Random observation-if Altavilla can get his command down, he could be an absolute dominant set-up guy. He hit 99 yesterday with movement and has just a filthy slider. Earlier in the year he was wild and getting hit, but if he just keeps the ball down, pencil him in as our 8th inning guy.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:More Rockies Please.

M's have had some doozies this past road trip but made it fair..Glad that Felix.. Paxton and Kuma will be back soon.
    Miranda MVP

Well, they're coming here tomorrow and Thursday. ;)

Would love to keep this streak going. :2thumbs:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• West TX Hawk wrote:Well I'll be, if they haven't gone and won 3 in a row. The offense is hot the past few days. Keep it going. They really do have a potentially very potent lineup. Both rookies Gamel and Heredia are hitting over .300. Segura and Cano have been on fire lately.

From what I watched Sun and Mon, it looks like Diaz is getting it together. Mechanically, he's smoother and he was pitching very aggressively. He looked outstanding.

Random observation-if Altavilla can get his command down, he could be an absolute dominant set-up guy. He hit 99 yesterday with movement and has just a filthy slider. Earlier in the year he was wild and getting hit, but if he just keeps the ball down, pencil him in as our 8th inning guy.

We get Paxton tomorrow, apparently. He should be good for 85 pitches or so, from what I've heard from the talking heads. If he can go 5-6 and looks anything like he did before the DL, we could be sitting pretty, assuming the hitters stay at all hot at home.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Looks like we got a new catcher.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:Looks like we got a new catcher.

Yep, Zike Munino. Much better than the other guy. 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• We seem to be owning the Rockies. :2thumbs:

All in all a good all around game, with a solid start from Pax, good outing from the bullpen (mostly), and hits all up and down the roster. Cischek had a bit of a shaky outing with some control issues, but didn't give up any runs in 1 2/3 innings, so I'll give him a B- or so, at least a C+.

Hmmm, I wonder if Gallardo can hold it together and finish the sweep?

Remember, day game today. 12:30 first pitch according to my guide.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Would love to see us get the sweep today, we need a good performance from Gallardo.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Wonder how many times a team has played back to back series away and home and won all.. not to many times I suppose.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Both Segura and Cruz hurt in the game. Will know more later but Segura hurt his ankle bad sliding into 2nd and Cruz got hit by a pitch. Just unbelievable the injuries this team has been facing. You couldn't make this up if you tried.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/ma ... 46319co2ac
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• ... and were still waiting for our full line up.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Segura placed on 10 day DL with a high ankle sprain. Cruz is ok though and will be back tonight.

http://m.mariners.mlb.com/news/article/ ... d=27118402

I honestly don't think this year's team will ever be completely healthy. A real shame. And if Segura's sprain is bad, and it definitely appeared it was, he's going to be out a lot longer than 10 days.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

• West TX Hawk wrote:Segura placed on 10 day DL with a high ankle sprain. Cruz is ok though and will be back tonight.

I honestly don't think this year's team will ever be completely healthy. A real shame. And if Segura's sprain is bad, and it definitely appeared it was, he's going to be out a lot longer than 10 days.

"High ankle sprain" I hate that crap. It always seems to take longer than they think it will.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    West TX Hawk wrote:Segura placed on 10 day DL with a high ankle sprain. Cruz is ok though and will be back tonight.

"High ankle sprain" I hate that crap. It always seems to take longer than they think it will.

Okung still hasn't gotten over it.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Boy... Tampa Bay looks like last year Mariners... wait a minute....
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Nice to see them continue to score with Segura out. Hope he doesn't miss many games.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• 1 month to 2 month.. damn
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:1 month to 2 month.. damn

Ugh, that's brutal. Just brutal. This team can't catch a break. I really hope Motter picks it up and produces at the plate like he did in April. This is a prime opportunity for him to step up.

If they can't get healthy and start getting in the playoff picture by the trade deadline, does anyone think they'll be big time sellers at the deadline?
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:1 month to 2 month.. damn

Ugh, that's brutal. Just brutal. This team can't catch a break. I really hope Motter picks it up and produces at the plate like he did in April. This is a prime opportunity for him to step up.

If they can't get healthy and start getting in the playoff picture by the trade deadline, does anyone think they'll be big time sellers at the deadline?

Clayton was saying earlier that he thought it would be a house cleaning, getting rid of everyone and doing what the Astro's did if they were way out of it. They would keep some of the young guys like Hanniger but then trade anyone with value for prospects.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:1 month to 2 month.. damn

Clayton was saying earlier that he thought it would be a house cleaning, getting rid of everyone and doing what the Astro's did if they were way out of it. They would keep some of the young guys like Hanniger but then trade anyone with value for prospects.

I think they are a year away from that. You have a new ownership group and you have to at
    Least have a little success or a total meltdown (60 win season) in order to blow it up at this time IMHO.

They are a wildcard playoff team easy without the butt load of injuries to their star players.

Your big names (Cruz, Cano, Felix) are towards the backend of their careers so you combine their age and big
    Contracts, that = very little trade value.

You build around Segura, Haniger, Paxton, Seager, Gamel, Motter, Smith, etc etc etc..

Your fanbase is not going to wait around for another full rebuild which usually takes 3-5 years to build
    From scratch.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Are Cruz and Felix near the ends of their contracts?I think Cruz is and would bring a prospect or two.
    I'm not sure on Felix but if we kept him it's better than having Gallardo for sure for next year.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• helluva night for someone.. way to go Z.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• My oh my... whatever Zunino did his last time in Tacoma seems to be working. Or me talking bad about him reversed the jinx :snack:
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

• Seahaaaawks wrote:My oh my... whatever Zunino did his last time in Tacoma seems to be working. Or me talking bad about him reversed the jinx :snack:

And David Valencia.. 7 for 7 in this series.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:My oh my... whatever Zunino did his last time in Tacoma seems to be working. Or me talking bad about him reversed the jinx :snack:

And isn't Seager still hitless in this series? :34853_doh:
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Bobblehead wrote:
    Seahaaaawks wrote:My oh my... whatever Zunino did his last time in Tacoma seems to be working. Or me talking bad about him reversed the jinx :snack:

He hit like David Valencia in April. 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Nobody is trading for Felix, and Cano would be very hard to move with his age and contract. Cruz would be the best trade piece as he will be a free agent in 2019.

This team is in a tough position. They are very much built to win now, but how do we go for it? It's not like we can offer prospects to get a starting pitcher. We don't have much in the minors. Our best bet is to hope Felix, Kuma and Smyly get healthy and can be solid rotational pitchers. In a way, just getting healthy would be like trading for 3 new starting pitchers. Felix is suppose to pitch for Tacoma on Tuesday, and then likely another start on June 11 for them. Good chance we see him back in a couple of weeks. I heard Hanniger is hoping to join Felix in Tacoma around the same time and he probably won't have to be there as long as Felix. Iwakuma and Smyly could be back by the end of June. If we can get the entire rotation healthy by then I like our chances of making a run.

The Wild Card isn't that far out of reach, only 3.5 games back. I just worry the AL East is going to get 3 teams in and leave us on the outside. I don't see Boston or the New York Yankees going anywhere, hopefully Baltimore fades.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information