2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Felix was effective and had a decent first start but I did not expect the bats to come up with just 3 hits.

The offense is going to need to score 5 a night to keep this team in the hunt. Over the course of the season I have doubts about Felix and Iwakuma's health, decline and many concerns about Gallardo. I do expect Miranda to have a good year.

I'm excited about the speed in our lineup. Servais needs to be aggressive this year with hit and runs and steals to make it work. Our defense should be stellar as well.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":cxodldsu said:
It's a long season and the Houston starter is a stud, but 3 hits????
Also Felix's fastball is batting practice quality at this point.
His other pitches are good.

He needs to start pitching "backwards". Houston was sitting on his fastball.

Only one game but a disappointing start.

I wouldn't feel as bad if they were hitting and scoring runs.

Hmmm on the same post you call Felix's fastball BP (he hit 92 consistantly and bumped to 93 at times) And call Keuchel a stud with his fastball that sat regularly at 89???????

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2opb5m19 said:
Sports Hernia":2opb5m19 said:

Hmmm on the same post you call Felix's fastball BP (he hit 92 consistantly and bumped to 93 at times) And call Keuchel a stud with his fastball that sat regularly at 89???????
Location location location. Felix has had trouble locating his fastball the past couple of years ever since his velocity dipped.
Keuchel outside of a couple pitches the M's hitters missed, was spot on with location.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":okq3eax6 said:
gowazzu02":okq3eax6 said:
Sports Hernia":okq3eax6 said:

Location location location. Felix has had trouble locating his fastball the past couple of years ever since his velocity dipped.
Keuchel outside of a couple pitches the M's hitters missed, was spot on with location.

Felix made two mistakes... really actually only one. The pitch that Springer smoked which was the first hitter of the game. The HR by Correa was just a great piece of hitting Felix hit his spot most hitters either miss that or hit it foul tip of the cap to a young stud for keeping it fair and hitting it a mile.

Felix went 5. Struck out 6, only had around 60 or so pitches..... yesterday was a good outing by him.

I know we've been spoiled over the years by downright dominance. But yesterday was not last year......

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":31ojwm76 said:
IndyHawk":31ojwm76 said:
Go M's!!!I think this team may suprise people..

I'm a huge baseball fan and a long time baseball poster. In fact, I've been posting on baseball longer than I've been posting on the Seahawks. On Mariners forums, I go by the handle Mariner Analyst in case some of you and I might have rubbed elbows with one another in the past.

I completely agree with you that I have a funny feeling this particular M's team is going to sneak up on and surprise a lot of people. I love what Jerry Dipoto has done here this offseason in shoring up a lot of areas that were real weaknesses on this team last year. Not only has he improved the defense (especially up the middle) with the additions of Segura and Dyson ... but he has significantly upgraded the SPEED on this team. One of the biggest deficits that this team has had over the past several years since the departure of Ichiro ... is that we've not had a whole lot of real stolen base threats. The Mariners have been relegated to station to station baseball ... to relying on the home run to generate offense. I think fans are going to see an end to that (as they now have guys who are legitimate threats to swipe a bag) and a pretty exciting brand of baseball. JeDi has upgraded the bullpen ... and bolstered that starting rotation with better depth. As far as 1st Base being a potential hole -- Danny Valencia is a quality MLB bat and DJ Peterson is sitting right there in AAA (I fully expect to see him up in the Bigs with the club before the end of the season). If Drew Smyly can overcome his "soggy arm" and return to the form he showed here in Spring Training, then I really like the M's chances of ending their playoff drought this year. And if for some reason they don't, I don't see that as a slight against the team at all. After all, just look at the rest of the AL West. Top to bottom, that is honestly THE BEST division in baseball, as there are basically no cupcakes whatsoever. The Rangers, The Angels, The A's, and now even the Astros -- they're ALL very good baseball teams. I see the M's as being right there and think they WILL be in the hunt for October. Happy Opening Day People -- the annual day where optimism reigns supreme everywhere throughout all of baseball. Now -- PLAY BALL -- and Go M's!!!!

MA

Any quality Mariners boards you'd recommend? I love talking M's here at .net but know the activity level is usually pretty low on the sports bar board.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2ztphy9q said:
Hawkscanner":2ztphy9q said:
IndyHawk":2ztphy9q said:

I'm a huge baseball fan and a long time baseball poster. In fact, I've been posting on baseball longer than I've been posting on the Seahawks. On Mariners forums, I go by the handle Mariner Analyst in case some of you and I might have rubbed elbows with one another in the past.

I completely agree with you that I have a funny feeling this particular M's team is going to sneak up on and surprise a lot of people. I love what Jerry Dipoto has done here this offseason in shoring up a lot of areas that were real weaknesses on this team last year. Not only has he improved the defense (especially up the middle) with the additions of Segura and Dyson ... but he has significantly upgraded the SPEED on this team. One of the biggest deficits that this team has had over the past several years since the departure of Ichiro ... is that we've not had a whole lot of real stolen base threats. The Mariners have been relegated to station to station baseball ... to relying on the home run to generate offense. I think fans are going to see an end to that (as they now have guys who are legitimate threats to swipe a bag) and a pretty exciting brand of baseball. JeDi has upgraded the bullpen ... and bolstered that starting rotation with better depth. As far as 1st Base being a potential hole -- Danny Valencia is a quality MLB bat and DJ Peterson is sitting right there in AAA (I fully expect to see him up in the Bigs with the club before the end of the season). If Drew Smyly can overcome his "soggy arm" and return to the form he showed here in Spring Training, then I really like the M's chances of ending their playoff drought this year. And if for some reason they don't, I don't see that as a slight against the team at all. After all, just look at the rest of the AL West. Top to bottom, that is honestly THE BEST division in baseball, as there are basically no cupcakes whatsoever. The Rangers, The Angels, The A's, and now even the Astros -- they're ALL very good baseball teams. I see the M's as being right there and think they WILL be in the hunt for October. Happy Opening Day People -- the annual day where optimism reigns supreme everywhere throughout all of baseball. Now -- PLAY BALL -- and Go M's!!!!

MA

Any quality Mariners boards you'd recommend? I love talking M's here at .net but know the activity level is usually pretty low on the sports bar board.
U.S.S. Mariner is a good site with links to others..I doubt there is a very good heavily posted one due to bad years.I could be wrong.I wonder if FB has some M's fan board somewhere.

DJrmb

Reaction score
The Seattle Times Mariners forum used to be pretty active. I haven't been on there in a couple of years now so I don't know if it still is or not.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Well that's fun! So far in 18 innings the M's have scored a whopping 1 run and struck out 19 times. It's like last year never ended... Ha

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Boy, that Mitch Haniger though. That last at bat was Babe Ruth league. Not good. Same ole' Zunino. When will they ever move on from him?

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Cishek and Vincent need to go ASAP. Glad we got rid of Marte. As for Zunino, hopefully Ruiz can step in. He played decent last year. A step up from Zunino that's for sure.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
gowazzu02":nqfqg7d5 said:
Hawkscanner":nqfqg7d5 said:
IndyHawk":nqfqg7d5 said:

MA

THAT's an easy one. I will tell you that it’s nowhere near the biggest forum as far as number of posters go, but in terms of overall class and quality of posters, IMO there is no better Mariner Forum than Mariner Central

http://www.marinercentral.com/forum/index.php?/forum/3-the-show/

There are a LOT of really bright, knowledgeable, insightful, and just overall respectful baseball posters on that site. Lonnie, who owns and runs it is a VERY knowledgeable baseball mind – a really cool guy to talk M’s and baseball in general with. He’s dealt with some health issues the past few years, so doesn't post nearly to the level he used to. Prior to that though, he used to be really active in putting out real quality stuff on a regular basis. Lonnie used to go down to Spring Training every year … and he would give posters there daily updates on how players were looking and how the team was shaping up. He’d talk to coaches and players alike and post stuff -- insights and tidbits that you couldn’t get anywhere else on the ‘net. He also did a lot of podcasts in the past that he’d post for those who were interested in listening to good in depth baseball conversations. He’d not only do podcasts with posters (I did one with him once) … but he’d even get respected M’s reporters (like Shannon Drayer) from time to time. I hope he gets back to feeling better and to doing that again -- because that was great stuff!

When I had more time in the past, I’d do in depth research articles that I’d post there. These are a pair of in depth research posts that I was particularly proud of …

The Seattle Mariners and the Business of Baseball … (Part 1)

The Seattle Mariners and the Business of Baseball … (Part Deux)

A few years ago, that site was really bustling with activity. Years of losing though has taken its toll, as there are nowhere near the number of posters there used to be. Still in my opinion though, Mariner Central is the class Mariner forum out there. AND – I fully believe that WHEN the M’s turn things around and start winning … fans will be back in droves once again. If you’re looking for a place to talk baseball with guys who know their stuff (and have a great sense of humor in doing so), then that’s the place for you. I still consider it home in many ways … and plan on posting there from time to time as the season goes on.

MA

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":2gizpmbg said:
Cishek and Vincent need to go ASAP. Glad we got rid of Marte. As for Zunino, hopefully Ruiz can step in. He played decent last year. A step up from Zunino that's for sure.

It's a looooong season. Can't take the same mentality as we do with the Hawks. If the Hawks scored one TD through two games. Thats an 8th of the season. The M's score 1 run in two games its 1/81 .

I know it hurts especially at the beginning, and I need to tell myself not to get mad when watching the games. But it is what it is. Marathon my man

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1mhssc82 said:
gowazzu02":1mhssc82 said:
Hawkscanner":1mhssc82 said:
IndyHawk":1mhssc82 said:

MA

THAT's an easy one. I will tell you that it’s nowhere near the biggest forum as far as number of posters go, but in terms of overall class and quality of posters, IMO there is no better Mariner Forum than Mariner Central

There are a LOT of really bright, knowledgeable, insightful, and just overall respectful baseball posters on that site. Lonnie, who owns and runs it is a VERY knowledgeable baseball mind – a really cool guy to talk M’s and baseball in general with. He’s dealt with some health issues the past few years, so doesn't post nearly to the level he used to. Prior to that though, he used to be really active in putting out real quality stuff on a regular basis. Lonnie used to go down to Spring Training every year … and he would give posters there daily updates on how players were looking and how the team was shaping up. He’d talk to coaches and players alike and post stuff -- insights and tidbits that you couldn’t get anywhere else on the ‘net. He also did a lot of podcasts in the past that he’d post for those who were interested in listening to good in depth baseball conversations. He’d not only do podcasts with posters (I did one with him once) … but he’d even get respected M’s reporters (like Shannon Drayer) from time to time. I hope he gets back to feeling better and to doing that again -- because that was great stuff!

When I had more time in the past, I’d do in depth research articles that I’d post there. These are a pair of in depth research posts that I was particularly proud of …

A few years ago, that site was really bustling with activity. Years of losing though has taken its toll, as there are nowhere near the number of posters there used to be. Still in my opinion though, Mariner Central is the class Mariner forum out there. AND – I fully believe that WHEN the M’s turn things around and start winning … fans will be back in droves once again. If you’re looking for a place to talk baseball with guys who know their stuff (and have a great sense of humor in doing so), then that’s the place for you. I still consider it home in many ways … and plan on posting there from time to time as the season goes on.

MA

thx dude

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
gowazzu02":fw9fvz86 said:

Hawkscanner":fw9fvz86 said:

MA

gowazzu02":fw9fvz86 said:

I'll also give a shout out on another site that I also visit every now and then. And that's a forum that's simply called Seattle Sports Insider ...

http://seattlesportsinsider.com/

The site's run by a guy named Jeff, who goes both by the handle of Jemanji -- or the one he's more well known for in Mariner posting circles -- Dr. Detecto. The good Doctor is a pretty smart cookie -- very sharp, savvy baseball mind -- and very witty and just flat out entertaining. He's a very creative writer, so expect to see creatively entertaining and insightful posts.

If you page down into the comments of each of those posts, you'll find several long time Mariner posters who have frequented both Mariner Central, the Seattle Times, and other forums -- many of whom I've been interacting with for over 10 years now (IceBreaker X, G_Moneyball, tradedollarnut, TopCat, DaddyO, and others). These guys are good baseball minds in their own right and fun to talk Mariners with.

Just another quality site to talk M's on.

MA

Crizilla

Reaction score
well at least we already got the "bases loaded 0 outs and dont score (besides a walk)" thing out of the way...

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
My goodness!!!! Being a M's fan hurts so much. Celine Dion says it best "it's all coming back to me now" ooohhhh the heartache. Bases loaded no outs and we score 1 run via the walk. Then 2 outs 3-2 count bottom of 13 and Springer yorks a 3 run walk off. Unbelievable! I can't believe it!!!! Ya ya ya ya it's early. Don't wanna hear it

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Un-freaking believable. *Sigh* [Shaking my head] I know that we're only 3 games into a long 162 game season ... but MAN, this feels like the same kind of luck the Mariners been having the last few years.