Popularity of Seattle Sports Teams

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Popularity of Seattle Sports Teams
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:36 pm
  • Who are the most popular teams in Seattle? Is it a football or Baseball Town? Popularity can be measured a variety of ways. IE TV ratings, attendance, merchandise sales, and sports radio attention.

My guess:

1. Seahawks
    2. Mariners
    3. College football team (Huskies)

Your choices?
    Hawker8989
    NET Rookie

Re: Popularity of Seattle Sports Teams
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:27 pm
  • Seahawks
    Mariners
    Sonics
    Heyseed
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:40 pm
  • Seahawks
    Huskies
    Sounders
    Mariners
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:14 pm
  • Hawks
    UW
    M's
    Storm
    Unamed hockey team
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:29 pm
  • Hawks
    UW football
    Mariners
    NHL hockey team
    Hamhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:58 am
  • Seahawks and Huskies are easily #1 and #2. Part of that is the fewer games in football so each game seems more important, but even when our football teams are mediocre to bad there is still widespread interest.

It's hard to say much about the Mariners given how historically futile they have been. They are currently the professional US sports team with the longest playoff drought. The city was really into them for about two months in 1995 and 2001 which is also the only few months when they've done anything particularly good. Would Cincinnati still be a baseball town if the Reds missed the playoffs for the next twenty years straight?

The Sonics were very popular in the late 80s and 90s until they were (intentionally) horribly mismanaged. I think the new NHL team will have a similar sort of popularity but like the Sonics will be hampered by playing at Key Arena and will need to be competitive to be interesting to most Seattle residents.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:44 am
  • Popularity of Seattle teams should be separated in at least two ways. Popularity of Seattle teams in the Seattle metro area vs. popularity of Seattle teams in the NW.
    In the NW it would be Hawks #1 and Mariners #2 hands down.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:45 am
  • Didn't the Mariners go to Oklahoma?
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:56 pm
  • My impression based solely on how much they’re talked about on these boards:

1. Seahawks
    2. Mariners
    3. Uw football
    4. Sounders
    5 uw basketball
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:29 am
  • This has always been a football town imo. The Sonics had a very good fan base for decades and a lot of success.

1. Hawks
    2. UW Football
    3. Sonics (and yes I realize they have been gone a long time)
    3. M's
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:38 am
  • Mariners, look around town, what gear is worn, Seahawks, Huskies, Sounders even Old Sonic gear, I see some Mariners hats and a few coats but they are dwarfed by everything else. That's even during the season.

In fact I will throw in Cougar gear ahead of Mariners in the Seattle area, license plates and everything is in higher volume for all the sports and Mariners coming in last.

It's no star power and nothing anyone is proud of as a franchise other then Griffey and Edgars induction recently.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:56 am
  • 1) Seahawks
    2) Huskies
    3) Mariners
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 am
  • 1. Hawks
    2. UW Football
    3. Mariners
    4. Sounders
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:32 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:This has always been a football town imo. The Sonics had a very good fan base for decades and a lot of success.

1. Hawks
    2. Sonics (and yes I realize they have been gone a long time)
    3. M's
    4. UW Football

Very close to mine.
    I'm going to put Mariners last though because of the skipping record syndrome.

1. Hawks
    2. Sonics (and yes I realize they have been gone a long time)
    3. UW Football
    4. Seattle Slew
    5. M's
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:35 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Seahawks
    Huskies
    Sounders
    Mariners

This.

I don't think the M's are as popular as the Sounders or Huskies right now...........and if they stink as much as everyone says they're going to stink during the next 2-3 years of the rebuild, you're going to see all time attendance lows at Safe.............err, I mean T. Mobile Park.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:34 pm
  • Being a Mariner fan in the early Kingdom years was hard. I still remember the celebration that resulted from having their first non-lossing season. Good players, that they could afford, were few in number. Most sports fans in Seattle don't even know who this is ................

Great command of his fastball, curveball, slider and splitter. Typically pitched a lot of innings because of his lively resilient arm. Terrific mental focus on his trade. With Seattle, rarely saw team mates support him with more than a run in any one game. Team mates frequently failed to support with any runs in many games. Perhaps the best of the Mariners hidden and unknown talents.

He signed for $100,000, reached the majors within a year and never had an arm injury. He has dealt with no aches or pains in retirement, he said, and even now, he throws batting practice three or four times a week at the high school — fastballs, curveballs, sliders, splitters. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/04/sports/baseball/mlb-draft-pitchers.html

.............................................. just a reflection on my part that even during grim days in Seattle sports there have been terrific bright spots. I'll return you now to happy memories and to the ongoing popularity poll.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:48 pm
  • ive lived in Pennsylvania my whole life so maybe my perspective would be of interest as an outsider. I love the Hawks which pretty much got me into the Sonics. I don't have much interest in baseball to start but if people ask id say im a Mariners fan. But its only because of my interest in the other Seattle teams otherwise I kinda care less. and from the national perspective I hear far more about Hawks, UW football, and even the Sonics than I do the mariners.
    classicaaron
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:51 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:Didn't the Mariners go to Oklahoma?

They decided it beat moving to Spokane... :mrgreen:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:26 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:Didn't the Mariners go to Oklahoma?

They decided it beat moving to Spokane... :mrgreen:

Incorrect, Spokane already has a AAA team. :)
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:39 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Seahawks
    Huskies
    Sounders
    Mariners

This.

Yep. This is how I would rank them as well.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:59 pm
  • Jville wrote:Being a Mariner fan in the early Kingdom years was hard. I still remember the celebration that resulted from having their first non-lossing season. Good players, that they could afford, were few in number. Most sports fans in Seattle don't even know who this is ................

Great command of his fastball, curveball, slider and splitter. Typically pitched a lot of innings because of his lively resilient arm. Terrific mental focus on his trade. With Seattle, rarely saw team mates support him with more than a run in any one game. Team mates frequently failed to support with any runs in many games. Perhaps the best of the Mariners hidden and unknown talents.

He signed for $100,000, reached the majors within a year and never had an arm injury. He has dealt with no aches or pains in retirement, he said, and even now, he throws batting practice three or four times a week at the high school — fastballs, curveballs, sliders, splitters. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/04/sports/baseball/mlb-draft-pitchers.html

.............................................. just a reflection on my part that even during grim days in Seattle sports there have been terrific bright spots. I'll return you now to happy memories and to the ongoing popularity poll.

Mike Moore. ...and I didn’t cheat.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:37 pm
  • The pro teams always feel more popular to me than the Huskies.

I'd rank it:

1. Seahawks
    2. Mariners
    3. Husky Football
    4. Sounders
    5. Husky Basketball

I'm basing this, just on the past few years. More casual fans in Seattle know about the Mariners than the Huskies. As for me, I could care less about Sounders, just never got into MLS soccer. I doubt I'll watch much of the Mariners the next couple years. It's all about the Seahawks and Huskies for me. It's tough to find a more popular college team than a pro team in a big city.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:30 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:The pro teams always feel more popular to me than the Huskies.

I'd rank it:

1. Seahawks
    2. Mariners
    3. Husky Football
    4. Sounders
    5. Husky Basketball

I'm basing this, just on the past few years. More casual fans in Seattle know about the Mariners than the Huskies. As for me, I could care less about Sounders, just never got into MLS soccer. I doubt I'll watch much of the Mariners the next couple years. It's all about the Seahawks and Huskies for me. It's tough to find a more popular college team than a pro team in a big city.

Sounders draw 40,000 a match, what do the M's average, like 25k?......and it's about to be less than 20k.

I think sometimes we apply our own preferences to lists like this...........but believe me right now with a decade low interest level in the M's during a "rebuild" and the Sounders being very good? I'd definitely put them higher on this list.

And after hockey gets here, they're going to be even lower.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:12 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:The pro teams always feel more popular to me than the Huskies.

I'd rank it:

1. Seahawks
    2. Mariners
    3. Husky Football
    4. Sounders
    5. Husky Basketball

Sounders draw 40,000 a match, what do the M's average, like 25k?......and it's about to be less than 20k.

I think sometimes we apply our own preferences to lists like this...........but believe me right now with a decade low interest level in the M's during a "rebuild" and the Sounders being very good? I'd definitely put them higher on this list.

I would say there are more hardcore Sounder fans than Mariner fans, but overall popularity goes to the M’s. I listen to sports talk radio a lot, neither 710 or KJR talks about the Sounders. Why? Because people would change the station. A lot of people have little interest in MLS. Same reason why SportsCenter or other national TV shoes give such small coverage of MLS.

Also keep in mind that there are 81 home games in baseball compared to 17 in MLS. Huge difference there.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:30 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:I would say there are more hardcore Sounder fans than Mariner fans, but overall popularity goes to the M’s. I listen to sports talk radio a lot, neither 710 or KJR talks about the Sounders. Why? Because people would change the station. A lot of people have little interest in MLS. Same reason why SportsCenter or other national TV shoes give such small coverage of MLS.

This is probably a good way of looking at it. Sports radio is obviously going to want the ratings, to get the ratings they talk about what the audience wants to hear about. In the Portland market its probably Ducks and Beavers football. Then Trailblazers basketball. Then Ducks and Beavers basketball. The only time the Timbers are really ever mentioned is when they're playing in the MLS championship game or something.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:39 pm
  • You can't base it on Radio play, most guys know more about Football, Baseball and Basketball on broadcasts, most played when younger, not as much in Soccer. Also Mariners tie into the MLB and there is a lot of talk that crosses over.

Take the ears off and use your eyes and look at gear, license plates in the area and you can really see a bigger difference.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:17 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I'd rank it:

1. Seahawks
    2. Mariners
    3. Husky Football
    4. Sounders
    5. Husky Basketball

I would say there are more hardcore Sounder fans than Mariner fans, but overall popularity goes to the M’s. I listen to sports talk radio a lot, neither 710 or KJR talks about the Sounders. Why? Because people would change the station. A lot of people have little interest in MLS. Same reason why SportsCenter or other national TV shoes give such small coverage of MLS.

Also keep in mind that there are 81 home games in baseball compared to 17 in MLS. Huge difference there.

KJR talks about the Sounders now, because they're the flagship station for them........just as KIRO is for the M's.

That's how it works, radio stations promote themselves.

btw, I listen to a LOT of sports radio, and other than the spring training games now on in the afternoons on KIRO, I've heard very little M's talk. Why would they, there's nothing to talk about. It might be the most boring team fielded in the history of the team, and that's saying something.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:51 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I'd rank it:

1. Seahawks
    2. Mariners
    3. Husky Football
    4. Sounders
    5. Husky Basketball

KJR talks about the Sounders now, because they're the flagship station for them........just as KIRO is for the M's.

That's how it works, radio stations promote themselves.

btw, I listen to a LOT of sports radio, and other than the spring training games now on in the afternoons on KIRO, I've heard very little M's talk. Why would they, there's nothing to talk about. It might be the most boring team fielded in the history of the team, and that's saying something.

When the M’s season starts, there will be way more M’s talk than Sounders on KJR. I listen to KJR every day on and off throughout the day, they talk about the M’s spring training everyday. They rarely talk about the Sounders and almost never go in depth on them. They know people will turn the station. If they are as popular as you say, then how come in April-September when both teams are playing, Mariners dominate the radio more than the Sounders? Sounders have a hardcore fan base, probably second to the Seahawks, but have very few casual fans.

I’m not trying to make a case for them, because the Mariners are a pathetic franchise, but people casually follow them, even when they suck, which is basically every season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:01 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    I’m not trying to make a case for them, because the Mariners are a pathetic franchise, but people casually follow them, even when they suck, which is basically every season.

Fair enough.

I guess we're splitting hairs on what the word popular means. I think you nailed it above.........I'm talking more about passion and insane fans, and you're talking about general interest.

btw, I disagree a little on the radio play. I think both sports stations are run by old antiquated sports dinosaurs that think old formats of football, college and baseball is what people want to hear.

You also have to take into account that most programming is host based now, and other than the Gasman who only guests hosts from time to time, there are no hardcore soccer or Sounders fans that host shows on either station. So of course they're not going to bend over backwards to talk soccer.

Even though I do think there's an audience for it.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:09 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

Fair enough.

I guess we're splitting hairs on what the word popular means. I think you nailed it above.........I'm talking more about passion and insane fans, and you're talking about general interest.

btw, I disagree a little on the radio play. I think both sports stations are run by old antiquated sports dinosaurs that think old formats of football, college and baseball is what people want to hear.

You also have to take into account that most programming is host based now, and other than the Gasman who only guests hosts from time to time, there are no hardcore soccer or Sounders fans that host shows on either station. So of course they're not going to bend over backwards to talk soccer.

I can’t argue with you on fan base intensity. I think you can make a case Sounders fans are as hardcore if not more than Seahawk fans. My sister is a season ticket holder for the Sounders and she says you stand and make noise the entire game.

Mariners and Sounders are almost opposites. A lot casually follow Mariners but no one really cares. I would think those that do follow the Sounders are crazy about them and care a lot.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:00 pm
  • Huskies
    Seahawks

Played all three major sports in HS before I settled on just football BUT:

I still can't watch the NBA or give a single penny to Starbucks after that backstabbing POS sold our Sonics down the road.

Baseball can be fun when there's something on the line but there's never anything on the line with the M's.

And, God help me, I have a good friend who is a major Sounders fan who tried to educate me on the nuances of soccer. I tried and tried but there is just no getting there for me. Thank God there was alcohol involved but it reminds of the first gas crisis song by Sammy Hagar: "I Can't Drive 55."
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    And, God help me, I have a good friend who is a major Sounders fan who tried to educate me on the nuances of soccer. I tried and tried but there is just no getting there for me. Thank God there was alcohol involved but it reminds of the first gas crisis song by Sammy Hagar: "I Can't Drive 55."

Soccer is like hockey, unless you're a die hard fan it doesn't translate well on the TV for the casual sports observer...........you need to see it in person.

Like hockey, the atmosphere and passion of the fans mixed with the intensity of the matches is infectious to be in that environment.

I don't try to convert my friends to the Sounders, I just take them to a match and that usually does the trick. It's just a good time.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:08 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

Soccer is like hockey, unless you're a die hard fan it doesn't translate well on the TV for the casual sports observer...........you need to see it in person.

Like hockey, the atmosphere and passion of the fans mixed with the intensity of the matches is infectious to be in that environment.

I don't try to convert my friends to the Sounders, I just take them to a match and that usually does the trick. It's just a good time.

Yes and no.

Soccer is like hockey here because its still considered a niche sport in some circles.

And live both soccer and hockey are a much better experience... and id argue a much better experience than an over hyped nfl or college football game, with 10 minutes of actual play, less than 2 minutes of meaningful action and 2 plus hours of watching people stand around. Its fun couch tv though

Its clearly the sport of the present worldwide and immediate future here. Ive been enjoying more mls matches the last 2 years as well.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:12 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

Yes and no.

Soccer is like hockey here because its still considered a niche sport in some circles.

And live both soccer and hockey are a much better experience... and id argue a much better experience than an over hyped nfl or college football game, with 10 minutes of actual play, less than 2 minutes of meaningful action and 2 plus hours of watching people stand around. Its fun couch tv though

Its clearly the sport of the present worldwide and immediate future here. Ive been enjoying more mls matches the last 2 years as well.

What's the "no" part.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:15 am
  • Its global attraction is vastly superior to hockey, so that worldwide popularity plays a significant role in its development here.

PL, CL and world cup games translate remarkably well to the tv here as ratings indicate
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:21 am
  • The part where I struggle with MLS is that it isn't the best soccer players in the world. NFL consists of the best football athletes in the world. Same with NBA. Same with MLB. Watching MLS is like the equivalent of watching Arena League Football.

I'm not trying to disrespect the sport, because it has come a long way and seems to be growing. But when I watch sports, I like to watch the best people who play that sport.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:32 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:The part where I struggle with MLS is that it isn't the best soccer players in the world. NFL consists of the best football athletes in the world. Same with NBA. Same with MLB. Watching MLS is like the equivalent of watching Arena League Football.

I'm not trying to disrespect the sport, because it has come a long way and seems to be growing. But when I watch sports, I like to watch the best people who play that sport.

Yes, that can make it tough. But the best players are spread out across 5 leagues anyways, so outside champs league theres always some mediocrity. MzlS is probably 8/9 right now in league talent and getting better players younger. The MLS talent pool is growing and they are getting world class level players who just left their prime instead of 4 years after. They are also selling top tier players to bigger clubs which will attract more young talent
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:39 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:The part where I struggle with MLS is that it isn't the best soccer players in the world. NFL consists of the best football athletes in the world. Same with NBA. Same with MLB. Watching MLS is like the equivalent of watching Arena League Football.

Yes, that can make it tough. But the best players are spread out across 5 leagues anyways, so outside champs league theres always some mediocrity. MzlS is probably 8/9 right now in league talent and getting better players younger. The MLS talent pool is growing and they are getting world class level players who just left their prime instead of 4 years after. They are also selling top tier players to bigger clubs which will attract more young talent

Is there a scenario where MLS can complete with the likes of popular Euro soccer? MLS has come a long way , wonder where people see it in 20 years. My guess is it all comes down to money and how much MLS can pay the athletes.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:52 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:The part where I struggle with MLS is that it isn't the best soccer players in the world. NFL consists of the best football athletes in the world. Same with NBA. Same with MLB. Watching MLS is like the equivalent of watching Arena League Football.

Is there a scenario where MLS can complete with the likes of popular Euro soccer? MLS has come a long way , wonder where people see it in 20 years. My guess is it all comes down to money and how much MLS can pay the athletes.

I don't think there will ever be a time MLS will compete with the top leagues, hard to compete when your salary cap is 10M vs the top leagues in the world with 150M+ payrolls.

But MLS can certainly get to the next level where they're competing with the likes of the Mexican Primera for CONCACAF championships and Champions League births.

Which is a great level of attractive soccer to watch, which is what you're talking about.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:03 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

It wont break into top 4... but could it surpass France or the Dutch leagues? Maybe.

Theres talk about cooperation with the Mexican league. Im not a huge fan of that league... it routinely beats up on the mls but thats a different story.

Id like to see a wider cooperative, including the Brazilian and Argentinian leagues.

But really... the biggest takeaway is how absolutely massive the sport is and its growth potential is exceptional. While the nfl is trying to overturn the decline of its sport, soccer is developing on an exponential scale
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:48 am
  • MLS is eerily reminiscent of the dotcom bubble of the late '90s right now, albeit with different circumstances. I'm a little concerned with the increased expansion and the changing media landscape that the league might not even exist in 20 years. That's one of the issues with a single entirety league in a largely unsaturated market; Individual teams can go bankrupt and the league will be fine, but if the league goes bankrupt...

Assuming it keeps growing though, I don't see why they couldn't be a top 4 league in 20 years. Once they hit market saturation MLS would have a significant economic advantage over the other leagues.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:51 am
  • knownone wrote:MLS is eerily reminiscent of the dotcom bubble of the late '90s right now, albeit with different circumstances. I'm a little concerned with the increased expansion and the changing media landscape that the league might not even exist in 20 years. That's one of the issues with a single entirety league in a largely unsaturated market; Individual teams can go bankrupt and the league will be fine, but if the league goes bankrupt...

Assuming it keeps growing though, I don't see why they couldn't be a top 4 league in 20 years. Once they hit market saturation MLS would have a significant economic advantage over the other leagues.

What were some of the downfalls of the NASL? Curious what lessons can be learned there.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:13 pm
  • mrt144 wrote:
    knownone wrote:MLS is eerily reminiscent of the dotcom bubble of the late '90s right now, albeit with different circumstances. I'm a little concerned with the increased expansion and the changing media landscape that the league might not even exist in 20 years. That's one of the issues with a single entirety league in a largely unsaturated market; Individual teams can go bankrupt and the league will be fine, but if the league goes bankrupt...

What were some of the downfalls of the NASL? Curious what lessons can be learned there.

Do you mean the old NASL, or the current NASL that folded in 2017?

The old NASL folded when they tried to rapidly expand without a solid financial model or cap, so many of the teams were hastily put together, and then the league tried to pass a salary cap and slash the roster sizes almost in half, which scared away the stars like Pele that were helping the league tread water as they figured things out.

The death blow was most of the stable solvent clubs leaving for the the MISL indoor soccer league in the 80's, which left only a couple franchises.

The good news is MLS learned from all the mistakes the NASL made..............hard cap, expand slowly at first, and trust the process of growing the sport through all the hotbed soccer communities in each city. Although IMO it took WAY too long for MLS to finally put resources and use their connections to develop the game by supporting the new USL league to develop and train their young players.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:45 pm
  • mrt144 wrote:
    knownone wrote:MLS is eerily reminiscent of the dotcom bubble of the late '90s right now, albeit with different circumstances. I'm a little concerned with the increased expansion and the changing media landscape that the league might not even exist in 20 years. That's one of the issues with a single entirety league in a largely unsaturated market; Individual teams can go bankrupt and the league will be fine, but if the league goes bankrupt...

New NASL? They spent way too much money expanding when they had very little if any market saturation outside of one or two markets. I don't know the intricacies of the league, but from afar, it seemed like a Ponzi scheme preying on investors who wanted to get rich quickly under the guise of potential growth.

As far as what MLS can learn from them? I don't know... MLS is doing a similar expansion strategy, but they actually have stability, and being a single entity with significant cap restrictions in place they can course correct should they start hemorrhaging money in the off chance their expansion investments fail to gain significant footholds in those markets.

My concern with MLS is the amount of expansion they've done during a time when their primary revenue source's long-term stability is wildly up in the air. As TV revenue shifts, and people have less exposure from mainstream outlets to MLS teams your ability to reach audiences outside of MLS cities could drop drastically. So, if your a local team driven league, and those new expansions cities fail to gain traction in those markets long-term, you've placed the burden of your league's viability on the successful teams financially supporting those failed teams.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:53 pm
  • Modern MSLs concerns are far different than those of the NASL.

For one, the sport has never been more popular. Expansion is meant to take advantage of and promote further growth.

Small local markets like MN United or newly founded Nashville will subsist primarily on local investment. Its a risk, but one that is likely mitigated by the popularity of the sport in regions without other teams competing.

The tv revenue and growth potential are a concern in only determining the next phase.

Mls could continue to cap salaries and purchases without much further investment in tv revenue and remsin solid.

But the league clearly wants more than that.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:06 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

Fair enough.

I agree with your last line. While I’m not a soccer fan in general, I have mad respect for the Sounders fanbase.
    Passionate, and loyal. I think the sportsradio stations in this town are missing out on a golden opportunity by not catering to the sounders fanbase more. They are too focused on “personality based” sportsradio than team or sports based sportsradio IMHO.

My favorite teams:

Hawks
    Un-named Seattle NHL team

Mariners (I love the sport of baseball even though I’ve hated the M’s FO/ownership over the past couple of decades)

UW Football
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:07 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:

Fair enough.

I agree with your last line. While I’m not a soccer fan in general, I have mad respect for the Sounders fanbase.
    Passionate, and loyal. I think the sportsradio stations in this town are missing out on a golden opportunity by not catering to the sounders fanbase more. They are too focused on “personality based” sportsradio than team or sports based sportsradio IMHO.

My favorite teams:

Hawks
    Un-named Seattle NHL team

Mariners (I love the sport of baseball even though I’ve hated the M’s FO/ownership over the past couple of decades)

UW Football
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:10 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Un-named Seattle NHL team

Now we're talkin'.

I have no doubt that once Seattle and the NW catches hockey fever with the insane resources and hockey passion and savvy of our ownership group, that hockey will begin to rival even the Hawks for popularity, buzz and excitement.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:23 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Un-named Seattle NHL team

Seattle Serial Killers
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:58 pm
  • I was referring to the old NASL which predated me by quite a few years.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information