17 Points: My Take and Grades for the 2017 Draft

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3tbpnr7y said:
Under #5, the McDowell section, why do you suppose sources have defended the "motor issues" that have scarred his resume? I've heard: injury; good player surrounded by bad teammates; season was already a loss; etc.

Granted, there's no reason to defend what isn't there, and I'm not trying to whitewash it. I'm just curious what the bigger story is all about. JS said in the interview that he (McDowell) would admit to wanting a couple games back, and it was in the context of hustle, I believe.

Yeah, I don't want to catapult us all into the honeymoon phase here, either (too late?) concerning some of these prospects. There's a good reason each of these guys fell.

It's often said "Well, Pete and Clint Hurtt are great motivators. They'll get Malik going." You know who else has a great reputation as a motivator? Mark Dantonion, Malik's head coach at MSU. He didn't get what he needed out of Malik. So there's a risk.

From ESPN's article:

"Worst interview in our room at the combine," an NFL personnel man told McGinn. "Completely sucked the life out of the room."

pmedic920

Reaction score
Mick063":22aeioqq said:
One person's take based upon a compilation of internet searches.

I'll watch some preseason games and then get my own first impressions at that time.

Thanks for the post.

We all appreciate the deep thought and your time invested.

:{(

chris98251

Reaction score
"Worst interview in our room at the combine," an NFL personnel man told McGinn. "Completely sucked the life out of the room."

Well it depends on who is doing the interview, also if your expecting in depth interviews from a 19 or 20 year old versus a 22 or 23 year old you may be shocked at the maturity difference and how much a difference those couple years make in persons make up.

Besides we have seen take outs of some of the interviews these guys give kids, the kid may have had a bad one prior and was not giving a lot on the one he was in used for this opinion.

I don't know about everyone else but having interviewed a few times in my life you can get someone that is a douche, is clueless and is an asshole and just grates against your being as well, so one opinion isn't going to sway my thinking to much.

Boycie

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":65d8dv1n said:
Rat":65d8dv1n said:
Mick063":65d8dv1n said:
With regard to feeling enlightened about the players drafted, I'll wait until I see a few of them cover a kick off. In other words, I don't believe a word he wrote. Great report though. Lots of effort.

Pro Tip? How much do you get paid for your writing expertise? Regardless, can't really craft a rebuttal until I ....see them play.

I must be missing the part where Montana said his grades were final and will never change.
He didn't and that is why it was rude of someone to be snarky about it. Do I agree with everything he posted? No, but I appreciate the analysis and we really won't know about this draft class for some time. I am just very excited to see how it turns out and I would never make a rude remark on somebody's well thought out opinion. I swear, this board sometimes is just frustrating to read. It seems like some just what to argue and whine. :34853_doh:

And people around here wonder why this place just isn't the same anymore?

907Hawk

Reaction score
penihawk":3dro641n said:
Nice write up Montana. This draft class has the potential to be outstanding and an equal chance to be a huge disappointment. It all starts with the teams ability to draw the most out of McDowell's freak physical ability. Time will tell. :D

RE: MALIK MCDOWELL
TUE APR 18, 2017 5:38 PM
Freak? How so? His explosion numbers are average and his tape sucks. Where are we going to play him to tap this immense talent? Myles Garrett is a freak, Malik McDowell not so much. Not before the 3rd round for me.
penihawk
NET Starter

It is obvious you are not a big fan of McDowell, maybe you are right. The great thing is we will all get to decide for ourselves if his tape sucks. I see a hole in the interior pass rush and I am glad this was a target area in the draft.