2013 defense vs 2020 defense

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
It’s just so crazy to think how far this defense has fallen since the 2013 Seahawks defense.

From the best to the worst!? Really?!

And the main thing that has changed are the players.

The defensive schemes and principles are recycled every year.

Players come and go in the NFL but man, if you pride yourself and your specialty on defense, so why does it fall so far?

If anything, at the worst, average, but it’s literally the worst now.

This is supposed to be your specialty, Carroll!

I’m just as frustrated as all posters here with this defense but it really makes you wonder was it Carroll’s genius or did we just luck out on drafting All-Pro and Hall of Fame players?

Not trying to cause any more arguments on here but it’s gotta makes you wonder huh?

I hope it gets better and fast, otherwise Seattle is going nowhere.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete had a defensive philosophy and a plan.

He went out and got the players that worked for that. He found them and scouted them. Then he developed them and executed.

He still has a defensive philosophy but his players no longer work with it.

Worse, the newer league rules assures we cannot rely on the old blueprint/plan.

Finally, he hired a retread failure as his DC with predictable failures for results.

When your players don't match your philosophy, your DC is inept, and you cannot adjust or adapt but continue to try to force things that do not fit? You will be one of the worst ever.

And right now the Seahawks are. The worst defense in NFL history against the pass. In a passing league....

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1n5r64u9 said:
Pete had a defensive philosophy and a plan.

He went out and got the players that worked for that. He found them and scouted them. Then he developed them and executed.

He still has a defensive philosophy but his players no longer work with it.

Worse, the newer league rules assures we cannot rely on the old blueprint/plan.

Finally, he hired a retread failure as his DC with predictable failures for results.

When your players don't match your philosophy, your DC is inept, and you cannot adjust or adapt but continue to try to force things that do not fit? You will be one of the worst ever.

And right now the Seahawks are. The worst defense in NFL history against the pass. In a passing league....
Preach!

getnasty

Reaction score
1 player on this defense might start on that one and that would be Jamal Adams maybe over Kam. Different game these days and a offense that scores fast will give you a way different result.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The obvious ones is the players aren't as talented but there are a few others ones imo along with the ones mentioned.

This is a comment I heard back as far as 2015-16 etc when even with mostly the same pieces the D wasn't as good. I read that with the league being a copy cat league more teams were trying to use the Hawks scheme and as it become more used, teams got more used to playing against it and also figuring out how to beat it (ie those TE plays across the field)

I think this team was build this year with an emphasis on the NFL west. Niners are a running team, the Cards were last year, and McVey loves to run too, so the run was emphasised but that hurts vs the way the league is going. Speaking of which offences are different now than 2013. Even a talent level of the 2013 team, there might have been adjustments that needed to be made or maybe even that D wouldn't be as good now.

Erebus

Reaction score
getnasty":jxk0nii8 said:
1 player on this defense might start on that one and that would be Jamal Adams maybe over Kam. Different game these days and a offense that scores fast will give you a way different result.

Based on his time in New York, maybe. Based on his play this year, not a chance.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Some good commentary and breakdown from Top Billin' talking about this:

[youtube]3Sjpi7qoJfg[/youtube]

sdog1981

Reaction score
The rules did not change. Game tape caught up with the team. NFL teams pay a lot of money to coaches to figure out to score.

2002 Tampa Bay? All time NFL defense
2009 Tampa Bay? 3-13 with the worst rushing defense in the NFL

Just be glad the team is going to be 12-4.

Polk738

Reaction score
Murph does do a pretty good breakdown of the defense in that video but I'll give my two cents, my takeaway is this: The talent of the LOB compared to this secondary is very night and day, you're talking about 3 All-Pro's compared to 1 all-pro and maybe a couple of pro-bowlers at best. The scheme wasn't what made that defense great, it was the talent within the scheme that made it great, it wasn't complicated, they never really tried to hide anything-teams always knew what it was and dared you to beat it, not only that but they were always on the same page and trusted each other. This secondary has had little to no time together, has a ton of injuries on top of serious communication breakdowns. PC said that they just can't get the whole group to practice together because guys are constantly getting hurt.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Polk738":3glnro31 said:
Murph does do a pretty good breakdown of the defense in that video but I'll give my two cents, my takeaway is this: The talent of the LOB compared to this secondary is very night and day, you're talking about 3 All-Pro's compared to 1 all-pro and maybe a couple of pro-bowlers at best. The scheme wasn't what made that defense great, it was the talent within the scheme that made it great, it wasn't complicated, they never really tried to hide anything-teams always knew what it was and dared you to beat it, not only that but they were always on the same page and trusted each other. This secondary has had little to no time together, has a ton of injuries on top of serious communication breakdowns. PC said that they just can't get the whole group to practice together because guys are constantly getting hurt.
I don't think "not practicing together" is a good excuse for having the worst pass defense the NFL has ever seen to date. This is an even worse defense than the 2006 Seahawks unit that had severe injury problems, so much so that they had to call an accountant from the streets to play CB. I would be more willing to look past this if it hadn't been a trend for many years. Our defense has been declining consistently for 5 years now, this isn't a new trend. This year only follows an overarching trend.

Latest posts