2014 Seattle Mariners

davidonmi

Reaction score
look he isn't great, but terrible is michael saunders, we've seen terrible. He isn't terrible. He's servicable

jkitsune

Reaction score
Ubaldo Jimenez would be a good add IMO. As far as hitters, the team really needs people who can play the field, and IMO Cruz isn't one. They overstocked on hitters w no defense last year and it cost them.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
jkitsune":23vgvqu1 said:
Ubaldo Jimenez would be a good add IMO. As far as hitters, the team really needs people who can play the field, and IMO Cruz isn't one. They overstocked on hitters w no defense last year and it cost them.

They are overstocked with people who hold bats and can't play the field. I don't know if we-re overstocked with 'hitters' though.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I would rather have Kemp not Cruz...To the wins I'd say 70-80..

jkitsune

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2kaistqf said:
jkitsune":2kaistqf said:

They are overstocked with people who hold bats and can't play the field. I don't know if we-re overstocked with 'hitters' though.
Touché sir.

davidonmi

Reaction score
jkitsune":uaeoo29x said:
considering the money it took BAL to sign him it may have been a good pass, they have to get someone and santana is the only one left

The Outfield

Reaction score
Last year was just so painful to watch. I still haven't recovered fully.

I would be crazy happy to just be above .500 this year. Year after year we get close but then pack it up at the end.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Honestly, Seattle should have gone 4/52 for Jimenez if need be assuming they are serious about winning and the budget reflects that. Ervin Santana is a step down. I don't really know what these guys are going to do here. They need another outfielder and another starting pitcher. A trade will net one, but not the other. I doubt there are two trades coming.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Santana will be cheaper for sure, my guy was always arroyo.
Santana also may not be a step down both had bad 2011 and 2012's but both bounced back in 2013 now clearly what Jimenez did prior to that is impressive but I don't know. If they don't sign anyone it proves how inept they are

Uncle Si

Reaction score
davidonmi":2qx5fpqu said:
Santana will be cheaper for sure, my guy was always arroyo.
Santana also may not be a step down both had bad 2011 and 2012's but both bounced back in 2013 now clearly what Jimenez did prior to that is impressive but I don't know. If they don't sign anyone it proves how inept they are

Capuano in the mix as well. I wouldnt be surprised to see them get both. Still think a trade is coming, maybe 2. I liked the idea of Santana over Jimenez before Iwakuma got hurt. I guess its only a month though

Ms fans are funny, we've signed Cano (wow! seriously), Hart (him alone would have been a significant addition), LoMo, a decent back up catcher, Guti (unfortunately that didnt work out) and Scott Baker...We forget how strong Alonte, Ackely, Miller and Zunino looked to end the season last year.

and yet, we're still an "inept" 70 win team if we dont suddenly make up for Iwakuma and Guti gettng hurt?

come on folks.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I hope I didn't sound panicky in my criticism. I just think that we have two high-level tradeable pieces - Paxton and Franklin - that probably will have to be packaged together to get the return we want/need at either SP or OF. I mean, we could trade Walker, but I don't see that happening.

If they get Santana, who I'm not thrilled about, that at least does make sense and mean that we can focus on a trade for an outfielder.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":19pi7ivz said:
I hope I didn't sound panicky in my criticism. I just think that we have two high-level tradeable pieces - Paxton and Franklin - that probably will have to be packaged together to get the return we want/need at either SP or OF. I mean, we could trade Walker, but I don't see that happening.

If they get Santana, who I'm not thrilled about, that at least does make sense and mean that we can focus on a trade for an outfielder.

no, I get it. For me its a different approach. i think this team is closer to 85 wins than 80. closer to 90 than 70. for me I want Santana, capuano and a trade (I see Franklin/Smoak being the tradable pieces) for a good outfielder because of the promise the team has.

Cano is in his first year of this mega deal. Seager and Miller look to be break out stars. Zunino and Ackely can perform their positions well as young players. Walker could be Pineda. The King is the King.

I just want the Ms to take advantage of what they have by giving them the 2-3 additional pieces it would take to really make a push

davidonmi

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":j0h2y3yt said:

I'm not thrilled about Santana either, he the model of inconsistency in la. However they need someone who will give them 200 innings and will maintain an ERA around 4 if not better.
Franklin will be trades if they want to go franklin smoak and maybe erasmo Ramirez they could get a good of IMO, if they accomplish both I could see 85 wins and maybe 90 if they get lucky, but in baseball it's hard to go from
71 to 90 wins overnight

davidonmi

Reaction score
Yep, 40 pounds , just unreal.
The only way to salvage his career is sending him to a ball and humiliating him, even then it's unlikely.

Capuano is off the board now, which is fine very reminiscent of joe Saunders who sucked last year.
What are they waiting for on Santana? They need a pitcher and I think getting away from LA is what he needed to become a solid #3 guy.
Give up the draft pick and make the move, and then make a trade for an of, this offseason is good so far but incomplete

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Guys, he's just cultivating mass.

u8e5agah.jpg

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
40 pounds overweight? Now his "wall singles" will turn into "wall outs". Guy seems to have zero motivation!

mbtitleist

Reaction score
You would think after last season where he showed up out of shape, played like shit, got demoted, got injured, and was ultimately suspended that he would bust his ass and come in wanting to prove something this season. Obviously that isn't the case.