2019 NFL Draft Thread

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1qu2q65r said:
12AngryHawks":1qu2q65r said:
That's why NE does good every year, no matter who they pick, their players always end up helping them get to the playoffs.

Don't get the wrong idea, I think JS is a good GM, I just don't think he is as good as he is made out to be.

As for the why NE is good every year it doesn't have that much to do with player development. It is because Belichick adapts his strategy to his player's strengths AND a strategy that takes away his opponent's strengths, something that Pete doesn't seem capable of understanding at times.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019 ... l-history/

http://footballscoop.com/news/exactly-m ... hick-good/

You mean like returning to a power running game while everyone else was getting light defensively?

Again, PC took a roster that was in massive transition, created the #1 rushing offense in the league, gave RW the chance to throw 37 TDs and helped the team get to the playoffs...

all while the rest of the NFL was quite certain the losses of Graham, Lynch, Kam, ET, Sherman, Avril, Bennett, both Richardsons (etc., etc.) would be the end of them

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":17e1e6uz said:
12AngryHawks":17e1e6uz said:
That's why NE does good every year, no matter who they pick, their players always end up helping them get to the playoffs.

Don't get the wrong idea, I think JS is a good GM, I just don't think he is as good as he is made out to be.

As for the why NE is good every year it doesn't have that much to do with player development. It is because Belichick adapts his strategy to his player's strengths AND a strategy that takes away his opponent's strengths, something that Pete doesn't seem capable of understanding at times.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019 ... l-history/

http://footballscoop.com/news/exactly-m ... hick-good/

Well we can always go back to Ruskell and Mora since we seem to not appreciate what we have.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I'm going to restate my point that Seattle has been a winning team ever since JS & PC came in. Is JS the best? Who are we to say? From a fan perspective, GM's are graded on how well they draft, the thing about grading them off of that though, is that it's not so cut & dry, things change every season, and because of that, it doesn't take much for a GM to go from being labeled the best to being labeled horrible, a GM can't have the best draft every season, one season this GM has the best draft, next season, another GM has the best draft, it can all change in a matter of a season. It's all opinions whether a GM is good or not. Should he lose his job over the opinions of the fans? Personally, if I were a franchise owner, I'd trust the FO's opinion over the opinions of the fans.

He might not be as good as some people make him out to be, but he's also not as bad as other people make him out to be. He's well above average, and as a fan, I'm fine with it. There's no guarantee that if all the people who wanted JS fired, got their wish, that they'd find a better GM. Just trust the process, football is a team sport, and not just the team who suits up on gameday. It takes a FO and a group of good players to create a winning formula, and that's just what the Seahawks have done. I'd say we're in a way better position than most other teams. JS is going to be here as long as he wants, or until his ways stop working.

Look at it this way, at least our GM isn't Dave Gettleman. [Mic drop] 8)

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sheldon Richardson is a very talented player, getting 4, 5, 8 sacks a year. Problem was, the year before we got him, his production dropped, Well we found out why, he was freelancing during games. That, and he came to a team with a disgruntled Michael Bennett and Richard Sherman, and discipline went out the window. We didn't make the playoffs.

The next year, Minnesota signed him for a 1 year deal, and while his stats went up, they didn't bring him back, and now he's a Brown. He's basically like Suh, made a lot of money, and now he's mailing it in.

Trading for him didn't pan out, but a move we made when Malik McDowell got injured on his three wheeler. Seemed like a good move at the time, after all, this was the 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year as a DT, that followed that up with a beastly eight-sack 2014 Pro Bowl season.

I don't think that's one that anybody foresaw. Players in the final year of their contract usually play lights out in order to get a huge one next time.

Duane Brown has been a steal. Poor Deshaun Watson. Watching Brown play, how hard he plays, and how he plays to the whistle, has been refreshing.

And now with Fant getting experience on the end of the line while playing TE. George has all the size and talent needed to replace Duane Brown when he retires. Not bad for an UDFA.

We've got hidden gems all over this team, and that's down to Pete and John. And every NFL GM misses on players. You have to swing for the fences once in a while. Sometimes it pans out.

Having said all of that, Pete and John admitted that they got off track, and had to reset their draft profiles. But evaluating themselves is one of the things that makes them so good. Pete said the evaluate themselves at the end of every season and look for tendencies, and guidelines that have them going in the wrong direction.

People complain that Pete and John draft an unknown in the 1st round, but like Danny O'Neill said, the only reason people complain is because they've never heard a guy like LJ Collier mocked to Seattle. That is because John's team is so tight with their information that no one finds out where they're headed.

Why didn't we draft Montez Sweat? Maybe it was the medical. Sure a report came out saying that his heart was fine and that the doctors had made a mistake. But, that report came from his Agent, on the day of the draft. Go figure. And if the newest report was true, why didn't any other team pick him in the Top Ten like he was projected to go before the heart issue?

I love John Schneider, and to me, last year's draft proved just how good he can be.