2019 NFL Draft Thread

Own The West

Reaction score
Tell me when to freak out that we don't have anyone to play DL...

Chapow

Reaction score
minormillikin":2c00rl17 said:
UW linebacker burr-kirven. How good is this guy UW fans?

Led all of college football FBS in tackles
2018 First-team All-American
2018 First-team All-Pac-12
2018 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year

IMO, very good.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Own The West":2kl3y4lo said:
Tell me when to freak out that we don't have anyone to play DL...

Not at all. Frank Clark is a hell of a dude to replace, and they're filling out the line with LJ Collier to provide a different kind of pressure. Two 6th rounders to go, plus free agents still out there. Not a panic situation, yet.

On an unrelated note, Gardner Minshew was my pick for backup. Disappointed he went to Jacksonville, but ah well.

knownone

Reaction score
Armon Watts is still available, he looks like a Seahawks DT.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Kelvin Harmon is still available... sheesh. Emanuel Hall too. I wouldn't even care - bring in another receiver. Preferably Harmon.

Myles Gaskin still on the board, as well. Need a depth RB, Myles would be an appropriate choice at this point.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
minormillikin":bi47ehal said:
UW linebacker burr-kirven. How good is this guy UW fans?
USC fan here. BBK is A FOOTBALL PLAYER, much respect.

D

DomeHawk

WmHBonney":288q41gp said:
I HATE to say this but man, the damn Patriots are killing this draft.

Yep, and they got my pick, N'Keal Harry, right after we passed on him. He is the perfect possession receiver in the Pat's scheme. A scheme that marches down the field making first down after first down.

sutz

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3iz705ac said:
WmHBonney":3iz705ac said:
I HATE to say this but man, the damn Patriots are killing this draft.

Yep, and they got my pick, N'Keal Harry, right after we passed on him. He is the perfect possession receiver in the Pat's scheme. A scheme that marches down the field making first down after first down.
Which is not really our scheme. :twisted:

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":2gr5lis6 said:
Seahawker76":2gr5lis6 said:
JayhawkMike":2gr5lis6 said:
All the waiting for the 103 rated player with the 47th pick. Surely could have waited a round. They think they are smarter than everyone else and haven’t been for a few years.

I have to agree with you, our draft history holds little success over the last several years with their groundhog day trade downs. Search Seahawks draft history by year if you don't believe it, Kam & Sherman in the 5th were a long time ago.
Pete & John are like two guys along the highway picking up aluminum cans but keeping their eyes out for gold, the fuller the garbage bag the more they think CHA-CHING! If they don't hit on 4-5 picks (or 3 bigtime) this draft, then I would think it would be fair to say that their draft methods should come into question & be considered more of a detriment than success.
I'll give JS & PC a pass for drafts that were not deep in overall talent, but 2019 is not one of them. There are a lot of players starting in this league that we traded away from and there are a slew of players that they acquired from trading down that are no longer in the league. Sorry for the rant but we can't improve if PC & JS do not produce.

Theyve also acquired a great deal of starters and consistent talent.

Very pedestrian starters. We have went from a team that was consistently a #1 defense or close to #1 to the 16th rated defense, same with the offense where we were consistently in the top-10 to now #18. The last few years of the draft has brought a lot of mediocrity.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Most teams draft pedestrian starters... because there are only a handful of exceptional ones.

If seahawk fans keep comparing every draft to one amazing one they are not only naive but irrational.

Sure, there havent been many all stars of late. But thats also hard when the team has been drafting consistently late in rounds every year.

At that point, its a calculated guess... theyve found serviceable contributors. Hasn't been great, not terrible. But its constantly finding good players (why he is a top 5 /10 GM in some rankings).

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":30ybehx4 said:
Most teams draft pedestrian starters... because there are only a handful of exceptional ones.

If seahawk fans keep comparing every draft to one amazing one they are not only naive but irrational.

Sure, there havent been many all stars of late. But thats also hard when the team has been drafting consistently late in rounds every year.

At that point, its a calculated guess... theyve found serviceable contributors. Hasn't been great, not terrible. But its constantly finding good players (why he is a top 5 /10 GM in some rankings).

There was a belief at one time that JS was some sort of godly draft genius. In fact, I believed it myself, as most here did. I think his high rating is at least partly predicated on that. The last few years, however, has shown us that he is pretty much like most of the NFL's GM's, i.e, keep throwing stuff against the wall until something sticks.

But, if it's rankings you are going by, here is one that has us as the 21st ranked drafting NFL team in the last five year's drafts.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/21/giants-je ... -at-draft/

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1ivieole said:
Uncle Si":1ivieole said:

There was a belief at one time that JS was some sort of godly draft genius. In fact, I believed it myself, as most here did. I think his high rating is at least partly predicated on that. The last few years, however, has shown us that he is pretty much like most of the NFL's GM's, i.e, keep throwing stuff against the wall until something sticks.

But, if it's rankings you are going by, here is one that has us as the 21st ranked drafting NFL team in the last five year's drafts.

If you still look at that stuff then you have lost your sense of navigation on how we do stuff. Kam pedestrian, Sherm a reach and conversion project, Wagner too light, Wright a special teamer, Baldwin not even drafted, Ford not even drafted, Bryant was slated to be cut and was a bust, Clemons a role player and back up to be cut in Philly, Wilson do I even have to say anything there. Those are what the so called experts were saying when we picked up those mediocre or failed players.

Pete has set the table once again for the cream to rise to the top, I think his formula has proven itself, just thie instant gratification generation has no concept of understanding and or the patience to see things work thru the learning curves and time it takes to become exceptional. But hey maybe you can Google it and feel better.

D

DomeHawk

Uncle Si":3lz43qiw said:

There is no criteria for the ranking you reference, it is largely subjective. The ranking I posted has specific criteria. Almost everything your posting includes is stuff from the past. If you created the LOB but then everything that comes after is mediocre then the suggestion is that the LOB was an anomaly.

The proof is in the pudding.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":2dqcf99r said:
DomeHawk":2dqcf99r said:
Uncle Si":2dqcf99r said:

If you still look at that stuff then you have lost your sense of navigation on how we do stuff. Kam pedestrian, Sherm a reach and conversion project, Wagner too light, Wright a special teamer, Baldwin not even drafted, Ford not even drafted, Bryant was slated to be cut and was a bust, Clemons a role player and back up to be cut in Philly, Wilson do I even have to say anything there. Those are what the so called experts were saying when we picked up those mediocre or failed players.

Pete has set the table once again for the cream to rise to the top, I think his formula has proven itself, just thie instant gratification generation has no concept of understanding and or the patience to see things work thru the learning curves and time it takes to become exceptional. But hey maybe you can Google it and feel better.

Yes, those players looked pedestrian in their draft projections but that's not what I'm talking about. I am talking about players that have turned out to be pedestrian. And, if you are suggesting that our formula is picking players that look pedestrian but we have the special ability to see things other GM's don't, then I call BS. It worked once, but it hasn't happened again.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1qadvhag said:
Uncle Si":1qadvhag said:

And this from your link: "Now Schneider has to do it again, with virtually no difference makers from the last five draft classes and spotty big swings at players like Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham and Percy Harvin."

Every GM has to do it again if they want their team to be a super bowl team for a decade.

The team has drafted capable contributors and starters. Theyre have been some difference makers as well.

But JS will always be judged against 2010-12, which in itself is unrealistic.

Also.. Ruchardson was far better than spotty. Graham was fine. And the article ignores the free agent hits the team has landed. (Bring up Harvin but not Lynch? Graham but not Duane Brown?)

I mean you can think what you want. But JS is quite easily one of the best GMs in the NFL. He takes risks. And is only judged off his own success (which was far more than once... i mean come on.)

TreeRon

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1o8f8c3y said:
Uncle Si":1o8f8c3y said:

Pats are 29th according to the Murdock Post

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1egauudx said:
DomeHawk":1egauudx said:
Uncle Si":1egauudx said:

And this from your link: "Now Schneider has to do it again, with virtually no difference makers from the last five draft classes and spotty big swings at players like Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham and Percy Harvin."

Every GM has to do it again if they want their team to be a super bowl team for a decade.

The team has drafted capable contributors and starters. Theyre have been some difference makers as well.

But JS will always be judged against 2010-12, which in itself is unrealistic.

Also.. Ruchardson was far better than spotty. Graham was fine. And the article ignores the free agent hits the team has landed. (Bring up Harvin but not Lynch? Graham but not Duane Brown?)

I mean you can think what you want. But JS is quite easily one of the best GMs in the NFL. He takes risks. And is only judged off his own success (which was far more than once... i mean come on.)

I agree with this 100%. It's unfair to hold Schneider to that high of a standard for just 3 drafts. We can't say that Schneider didn't try to add big names to the team, like the ones you mentioned. When fans complained that we sucked in the red zone, he traded for Graham, when they complained we couldn't get to the QB or stuff the run, he traded for Richardson, when they complained about not having anyone to protect Wilson's blind side, he traded for Brown. And now, the only one left on the team is Brown, it's a game of hit & miss when you're the GM of a football team, name me a GM that does a perfect job every single season.

Adding big names doesn't guarantee a darn thing, Schneider figured that out, and help Seattle get back to the winning formula. He got them 11 picks when they just had 4 a week ago. The Seahawks thrive not on having a few big name players, but a plethora of serviceable ones, and some of them do end up becoming big names. I think Schneider looks at every pick with their long-term potential in mind, sure, he could go out and get the best WR in the draft, but it won't take long before that WR wants to become the highest paid at his position, the way Schneider does his job saves the team money, allowing then to hold onto players. It helps that the coaching staff does a pretty good job developing the players. That's why NE does good every year, no matter who they pick, their players always end up helping them get to the playoffs.

Given that Schneider has helped build a team that has reached the playoffs 6 out of 7 years, I'd say he's one of the better GM's in the league.

D

DomeHawk

12AngryHawks":1r43v855 said:
That's why NE does good every year, no matter who they pick, their players always end up helping them get to the playoffs.

Don't get the wrong idea, I think JS is a good GM, I just don't think he is as good as he is made out to be.

As for the why NE is good every year it doesn't have that much to do with player development. It is because Belichick adapts his strategy to his player's strengths AND a strategy that takes away his opponent's strengths, something that Pete doesn't seem capable of understanding at times.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019 ... l-history/

http://footballscoop.com/news/exactly-m ... hick-good/