2021 Draft RD 2 PK 56 WR D'wayne Eskridge, W Michigan

Elemas

Reaction score
K.J WRIGHT":1tv7lcge said:
Trust me Guy's, I can valuate talent with the best scouts in the NFL....this guy will take the league by storm. He will one day be in the HOF ! DK Metcalf will soon become our # 2 receiver! BOOK IT!!!

As I think DK can be the best WR in the league, I’m not sure I agree but....I hope you’re right.

Happy with our weapons on O. I’m hoping we can get old Uncle Will back. This could very well be the best receiving corp in the league.

Chapow

Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder if it's possible if a guy that averaged 130 receiving yards per game last season might be able to do a bit more than just shag kicks and run end arounds?

Nah. I'm sure they picked him just to give him 1-2 touches per game and shag kicks. That definitely makes sense.

K

K.J WRIGHT

Elemas":ajlgsuf3 said:
K.J WRIGHT":ajlgsuf3 said:
Trust me Guy's, I can valuate talent with the best scouts in the NFL....this guy will take the league by storm. He will one day be in the HOF ! DK Metcalf will soon become our # 2 receiver! BOOK IT!!!

As I think DK can be the best WR in the league, I’m not sure I agree but....I hope you’re right.

Happy with our weapons on O. I’m hoping we can get old Uncle Will back. This could very well be the best receiving corp in the league.
I think Metcalf is way overrated . To me he doesn't seem to love the game all that much. He also tends to hang his head a lot. I think he will have a decent career if he Mans up some. YMMV.

K

K.J WRIGHT

Chapow":1xetdwcu said:
Hmm, I wonder if it's possible if a guy that averaged 130 receiving yards per game last season might be able to do a bit more than just shag kicks and run end arounds?

Nah. I'm sure they picked him just to give him 1-2 touches per game and shag kicks. That definitely makes sense.

LMAO

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2hnzab2a said:
Maelstrom787":2hnzab2a said:
pittpnthrs":2hnzab2a said:
Seanhawk":2hnzab2a said:
You're off the rails. What would you like for the plan to be if a trade down falls through? Take the lowest rated player on their board? Not make a pick at all? What the hell?

I can understand not liking the pick because you valued an offensive lineman more. I did for the most part too. But this gripe is just stupidity.

Its not stupidity. The way its worded is that JS and the FO got stuck when they couldnt trade down so they took the best player available regardless of position. To hell with the needs of the team.

Let me guess - WR3 wasn't the top need on a generic media "team needs" list, therefore it's an invalid pick. Facebook comment section logic.

Where is the teams biggest weaknesses? It sure isnt at WR.
It sounds like they went bpa. Why are you anti bpa?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
BASF":1g1o3ka4 said:
Geologic":1g1o3ka4 said:
Remember when the seahawks got owned in the last 6 weeks of the season?

How many yards did DK Metcalf get in the beginning of the season versus the last parts?

Bullrush the offensive line and Russell is gonna eat $h!t

This is a joke right? We were 5-1 in the last six weeks of the season. The only thing we got owned on was the playoff loss and fantasy owners of Russell Wilson.

Yards for individual players literally do not matter unless you are a fantasy football fan.

The offensive line has already been changed this offseason. The main reason the Rams were able to run over our line in the playoff game is happily retired and will never darken our field again. The fact that Carroll was willing to destroy the continuity that the line had put together over the few games without a washed up Iupati by plugging him in against that defensive line was stupid. Pocic and Brown had to play trying to help Iupati and that opens up opportunities for the others on the defensive line.

Gabe Jackson replacing the Iupati/Simmons platoon is a massive upgrade. It means that Pocic nor Brown have to try to cover for the lackluster play at left guard.
I agree with this. Iuapti was the weak link last year, not Pocic. Our OL is improved over last year and there will be more to come.

Smellyman

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":13url9v6 said:
Smellyman":13url9v6 said:
pittpnthrs":13url9v6 said:
Seanhawk":13url9v6 said:
You're off the rails. What would you like for the plan to be if a trade down falls through? Take the lowest rated player on their board? Not make a pick at all? What the hell?

I can understand not liking the pick because you valued an offensive lineman more. I did for the most part too. But this gripe is just stupidity.

Its not stupidity. The way its worded is that JS and the FO got stuck when they couldnt trade down so they took the best player available regardless of position. To hell with the needs of the team.

WR was a huge need.

How? We are talking about a #3 receiver that will be splitting time with Swain and every other Joe Schmoe on the team. If the team was minus either Metcalf or Lockette then I would be onboard, but not for a guy that will be shagging kicks and running end arounds.

He is light years better than Swain and Joe Schmoe. If Lockett or DK go down they would be screwed. Legit game breaker to scare the D and help open it up for DK and Lockett. Yeah, hugely important.

Wasn't much fun with Jalen Ramsey shutting down DK

Or perhaps you like the way they performed down the stretch with nobody making plays.

Chapow

Reaction score
Before they took Eskridge, this is what the WR corp looked like behind Metcalf and Lockett,

Freddie Swain
Penny Hart
John Ursua
Darvin Kidsy
Aaron Fuller
Cody Thompson

No disrespect intended, but that is an awfully uninspiring group of fringe roster / practice squad guys (with the possible exception of Swain, but that remains to be seen).

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Can’t he be coached up wrt route running? Also I recall that being a weakness for DK when he was picked. Pretty much every expert called WR a need citing very little behind Metcalf and Lockett so I really wonder where anyone saying it’s not a need gets their info from.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Momofantv":v214hp9z said:
chris98251":v214hp9z said:
Strengths
Averaged 21.8 yards per catch over his last 74 catches.
High school sprint and long-jump champion.
Scored touchdowns of 72, 76 and 85 yards in 2020.
Scary burst for quick vertical separation if punch is whiffed.
Rapid foot turnover through the route.
Maintains good tempo through the route.
Able to plant and cut at fairly crisp angles.
Timing getting to full extension to make high-point catch.
Big time catch-and-run talent with instant burst to hit the home run.
Ability to stretch defense from the slot.
Averaged 27.5 yards per return with a touchdown as kick returner in 2020.

Weaknesses
Ran a very simple route tree.
Bumped off track inside five yards.
Hip tightness prevents quick sink-and-open.
Average acceleration in restart once he slows his feet.
Geared down route speed telegraphs underneath route.
Needs to sell deeper, more committed route fakes.
Ball tracking and ball skills miss the mark.
Drop rate and catch focus has been an issue for him.
Unable to catch through crowding consistently enough.

He will need to learn some things, his competition level as well as limited games last year hindered a big part of a learning curve I would expect, but he has tools that can be worked on, he has a pretty good mentor in Lockett to help as well as Ursua on the practice squad.

Worst 2nd round pick ever, dude isn’t good enough to start 4th round talent

You win worst post of the week

Hanjag

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of comparisons to Percy Harvin.

I remember the LOB Hawks playing the Vikings and being afraid of Harvin every time he touched the ball until he was injured in that game. Harvin was an RB-WR 5'11" 4.41
vs
5'8"-or 9" 190# WR-DB KR with a 4.38 or 4.39 40 AND 190#.

The Chiefs cheetah T. Hill ran a 4.29 and is 5'10" 185#

So the package could be great.

The offense looks improved at most positions
O-Line+
Tight end +
WR +
TE =/+
RB I hate Homer and Dallas, I love Carson, Penny is OK but hasn't lived up to potential or 1st round status, I like Collins better than Homer-Dallas, I also like unsigned Bo Scarbrough way more than Homer-Dallas. Can we make the best move for the team and drop Homer-Dallas and sign Bo?

I think drafting a #3 WR in the 2nd round is a high pedigree.

I am always a BPA guy but how happy are you if this guy Is some sort of Harvin-Hill-and best 5'10" and under WR = AB~yes Antonio Brown, Edelman, TY Hilton, Tate, Steve Smith,

Is this dude rookie Antonio Brown?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1cljp6pp said:
Can’t he be coached up wrt route running? Also I recall that being a weakness for DK when he was picked. Pretty much every expert called WR a need citing very little behind Metcalf and Lockett so I really wonder where anyone saying it’s not a need gets their info from.

I believe they pull their info out of their poop chute.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Quick learner! Eskridge is a rare breed of person that sees it and then does it. I don’t think he should model his game after anyone except in practice. Eskridge should screw around with things and then figure out how to best incorporate them into his own Thing, I know all the players in Seattle are being taught to do that but Eskridge is such a dynamic athlete with the rare mental capacity to do it.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Antonio Brown's rookie season stats... 16 receptions on 19 targets for 167 yards and 0 TDs.

I'm betting that Eskridge will certainly better those stats.... every one!

BASF

Reaction score
I have to say as I do more and more research, I like this pick a lot. On the video, he seems a lot more polished than I would have expected coming out of a small school. He will be a very good weapon in our new offense.

[youtube]bpWdWJR0DZA[/youtube]

nwHawk

Reaction score
BASF":37rfwtyr said:
I have to say as I do more and more research, I like this pick a lot. On the video, he seems a lot more polished than I would have expected coming out of a small school. He will be a very good weapon in our new offense.

[youtube]bpWdWJR0DZA[/youtube]

For what it’s worth some scrub named Antonio Brown came from Central Michigan. Both were very good college returners.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Some more insight into what they're thinking with this pick:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -eskridge/

“Shane has talked since we first started talking about schematically how we’re going about it, philosophically how we’re going about the offense about having three legitimate threats in passing situations so a defense can’t lock you down,” Carroll said. “It was one of the reasons Gerald [Everett] was such a big get for us, was such a great acquisition for us in the offseason to help us. But we always want to have three guys out there that they have to work with and contend with so they can’t just double guys up and take them out of the offense.

“We’ll find out how well D’Wayne fits it in that regard but we’re counting on him being a factor.”

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hoxrox":3ouv43ks said:
Some more insight into what they're thinking with this pick:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -eskridge/

“Shane has talked since we first started talking about schematically how we’re going about it, philosophically how we’re going about the offense about having three legitimate threats in passing situations so a defense can’t lock you down,” Carroll said. “It was one of the reasons Gerald [Everett] was such a big get for us, was such a great acquisition for us in the offseason to help us. But we always want to have three guys out there that they have to work with and contend with so they can’t just double guys up and take them out of the offense.

“We’ll find out how well D’Wayne fits it in that regard but we’re counting on him being a factor.”

I can't be the only one finding it beyond hilarious that the people who generally complain about Pete's "meddling" are now getting mad at him making a pick specifically based on his offensive coordinators vision for the offense

Latest posts