2021 .net offseason

NJlargent

Reaction score
How we could allow Wilson to leave is an embarrassment. I can't fathom that any competent franchise would retain PC and let Wilson walk. Surely this is a product of media sensationalism.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
NJlargent":2e67yatj said:
How we could allow Wilson to leave is an embarrassment. I can't fathom that any competent franchise would retain PC and let Wilson walk. Surely this is a product of media sensationalism.

That's what all signs point to. Turns out that a league icon being dissatisfied leads to a massive amount of speculation to drive engagement on media websites.

If this were actually as ugly as everyone makes it out to be, this'd be more similar to the Deshaun Watson situation.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2iy5xut3 said:
NJlargent":2iy5xut3 said:

That's what all signs point to. Turns out that a league icon being dissatisfied leads to a massive amount of speculation to drive engagement on media websites.

If this were actually as ugly as everyone makes it out to be, this'd be more similar to the Deshaun Watson situation.
Then why doesn't the team debunk the rumors? GB did with Rodgers right away and than nothing more heard.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Cyrus12":cj86g93w said:
Maelstrom787":cj86g93w said:
NJlargent":cj86g93w said:

Then why doesn't the team debunk the rumors? GB did with Rodgers right away and than nothing more heard.

How is this any different from any other drama the team has gone through? They're a fairly private front office, always have been.

We've had Percy Harvin punching Golden Tate in the face in the locker rooms before and didn't hear about it for years.

(I'm not saying they're right not to acknowledge the rumors and make a statement. Just saying that this is par for the course with Seahawks drama.)

flv

Reaction score
Again...if Wilson is traded $26M of future cap hits will accelerate into the 2021 cap and Wilson's $19M salary for 2021 will move out of the cap. The Seahawks would have $7M less space in 2021 and $13M more space in both 2022 and 2023. They could effectively transfer some of that future cap space back into 2021.

In short the Seahawks are neither forced into nor prevented from making a move by the cap.

As of March 5 2021 keeping Wilson on the Seahawks roster is better than the alternative. At some point moving him on will become better than the alternative.

iigakusei

Reaction score
flv":1ofdrw90 said:
Again...if Wilson is traded $26M of future cap hits will accelerate into the 2021 cap and Wilson's $19M salary for 2021 will move out of the cap. The Seahawks would have $7M less space in 2021 and $13M more space in both 2022 and 2023. They could effectively transfer some of that future cap space back into 2021.

In short the Seahawks are neither forced into nor prevented from making a move by the cap.

As of March 5 2021 keeping Wilson on the Seahawks roster is better than the alternative. At some point moving him on will become better than the alternative.
But how can this be? I was told the 39 million dead cap would make a trade impossible! Stop it with your facts.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":11m9z5sp said:
JayhawkMike":11m9z5sp said:
While you may be "waiting" for free agency to start it seems like it has already. JJ Watts, Carson Wentz etc have signed or agreed to deals. We have even grabbed Alex Collins.

Truth is in the next week or two a ton of players including some of ours will be released and we will have to wait a couple weeks watching other teams sign good in-their-prime players while we wait and sign the Greg Olsens and Ziggy Ansahs of the league.

Add to that we have, so far, lost Dunlap and people keep saying we should release Adams - both of which I think are asinine moves. With KNJ still on staff and losing those two and another year on Wagner's body I could really see us having a full season instead of just a half season of historically bad defense.

We will trade down in the draft and end up with another pick or two but even when we get to those most of us will be disappointed when the pick someone a round or two earlier than they were projected (because everyone but PC is a dumb ass in evaluating talent right?). BUT, we will be even more disappointed when they get on the field and don't do jack (but then rookies NEVER play well and cannot perform in their first year - give them time you'll see :roll: .)

Such is the yearly cycle under PC.

Being overly obtuse about these things is part of why the intelligent discourse here has been largely flushed down the toilet.

Trying to prove your point with your own inane prattle?

AgentDib

Reaction score
flv":2kv5qgk3 said:
The issue here is that there's already a reasonable discussion to be had about the difficulty of winning while devoting a large part of your cap to a single player. Most of the people I've seen who want to trade Russ want to do so primarily for money reasons, with the idea that a worse but cheap QB would allow us to have a stronger team elsewhere to make up for it.

Under this scenario that additional $7m would raise Wilson's cap hit to an astronomical 21% of the cap - but without having Russ as our QB at all. Then you would also have to factor in whatever we paid our replacement and you're looking at devoting a huge amount of money to worsening the QB position in 2021. It's very difficult to see how the team would be competitive in 2021 in that scenario, Carroll has never shown the inclination to do something like tanking in 2021, and we even don't have our first round draft picks the next two years.

acer1240

Reaction score
Cyrus12":32om7fct said:
Well if none of this talk had any substance to it then why isn't the team coming out publicly and squashing them???

There is an old saying in sales to where the first party to speak loses.

The organization is handling his temper tantrum perfectly.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
flv":2thhjjn6 said:

I think your opinion that they are not prevented from making a move by the cap is not entirely true. It only does not prevent them from trading Russell if they don't care about competing in 2021. If they care about competing in 2021 then teh cap hit absolutely does prevent them from trading him this year.

If Russell is here he counts $32MM against the 2021 cap and you get top 5 QB performance. If he is traded he counts $39MM against the cap and we STILL need to pay a QB to replace him. What's that replacement going to cost? What is a viable QB replaement going to cost that will still allow the Hawks to compete in 2021?
:shock:

The cap hit really does prevent them from trading him if they have any thoughts of competing in 2021.

flv

Reaction score
AgentDib":2ymus9i3 said:
The issue here is that there's already a reasonable discussion to be had about the difficulty of winning while devoting a large part of your cap to a single player. Most of the people I've seen who want to trade Russ want to do so primarily for money reasons, with the idea that a worse but cheap QB would allow us to have a stronger team elsewhere to make up for it.

Under this scenario that additional $7m would raise Wilson's cap hit to an astronomical 21% of the cap - but without having Russ as our QB at all. Then you would also have to factor in whatever we paid our replacement and you're looking at devoting a huge amount of money to worsening the QB position in 2021. It's very difficult to see how the team would be competitive in 2021 in that scenario, Carroll has never shown the inclination to do something like tanking in 2021, and we even don't have our first round draft picks the next two years.
Frozenropers":2ymus9i3 said:
I think your opinion that they are not prevented from making a move by the cap is not entirely true. It only does not prevent them from trading Russell if they don't care about competing in 2021. If they care about competing in 2021 then teh cap hit absolutely does prevent them from trading him this year.

If Russell is here he counts $32MM against the 2021 cap and you get top 5 QB performance. If he is traded he counts $39MM against the cap and we STILL need to pay a QB to replace him. What's that replacement going to cost? What is a viable QB replaement going to cost that will still allow the Hawks to compete in 2021?
:shock:

The cap hit really does prevent them from trading him if they have any thoughts of competing in 2021.
I'm not pushing members of this site towards trading Wilson...or keeping him. All i'm doing is accurately pointing out what the consequences of doing so will be, because that should make for a better conversation. If Wilson was traded for a bunch of picks and a cheap short-term replacement QB was brought in the Seahawks would be down $7M in 2021 PLUS the cheap replacement's salary...but they'd have a lot of Draft capital and significant FA space for the next few years. Obviously that would shift the emphasis towards the future rather than 2021. If a veteran QB on a $21M salary was brought in then the team would restructure the new QB's salary to $1M plus a pro-rata portion of a $20M signing bonus. The Seahawks would be down $12M net in 2021 cap space but they'd have X more Draft capital and X more cap space in the next 2 years. Neither scenario is definitively wrong, and nor is keeping Wilson. What the trade offers are, Wilson's relationship with management, and how the Seahawks would fare with an unhappy Wilson on the roster for 2021, (if he really is unhappy), should be the key factors in what will be the Seahawks biggest offseason conundrum.