2021 Seahawks Depth Chart, Roster Moves, Cap Position

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Brees is different. He's retiring in June. Not the same situation.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1358069560755318786[/tweet]

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
We have plenty of Cap Space vs Saints are in Cap Hell. The point I’m making is John Schneider & Pete Carroll are way ahead of the rest of the league and have the Peak years of RW & BW already planned out. Look at BW 2019 they drafted 2 LB’s & 2020 they used a 1st round pick on a Will/Mike Linebacker, so if Bobby’s play detoriates too much they have player ready to step up. FYI Wagner isn’t just an All Pro Mike Linebacker, Bobby is 1 of the best players in the league, Bobby is a generational talent, so even though he’s getting older he’s still one of the best defensive players in the league. If we trade Bobby he could turn that team into a SuperBowl contender or SuperBowl favorite so it goes way beyond getting 2 1st rounds picks for Bobby, the 2021 draft is a crappy round 1 draft, it’s a complicated situation with lots of moving parts to it. The obvious issue is Russell Wilson his play was not good last season! How do we handle the RW situation? Looks like we’re giving him help by getting him a new OC so it makes sense to beef up the offense big time on all levels OL, WR, RB, TE so RW will have zero excuses if he’s doesn’t get a SuperBowl win in 2021. After 2021, in 2022 we will know what we have in a QB, 2022 is the time not 2023, to know what your going to do with your Franchise QB! So no we shouldn’t back load RW’s contract! If I’m RW I’m calling Schneider & saying “hey I screwed up in 2020; why don’t you extend my contract a year or 2 at a discounted rate” RW says he wants to be an NFL owner & an NFL owner that wins many Super Bowls! If RW is really that smart he will do this because it not only helps Seattle but it will set a Precedent that he can use in the future with his players when he is an owner. Or is Russell Wilson completely full of shit & that’s the real reason we’re not playing KC in Tampa on 2/7/21

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Fresno, interesting take but the raw numbers still seem to indicate that there will need to be some cap massaging needed to open cap space.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
When a player is in the final year of his contract the team must decide what their options are at that position! For instance LT Brown does he want to play in 2022 & 2023? Do we see him performing at a high level in 2022 & 2023? If the answer is no then we need to sign Trent Williams who will cost 17 to 20 million a year. Either way we can reduce the cap hit for Williams or Brown because the Salary Cap will jump from 185 million in 2022 to over 230 Million in 2023 due to the new TV contracts. Tyler Locketts cap hit for 2021 is based on the projection he will hit all his bonuses because he hit his bonuses in 2020 but if we add a 3rd productive WR & increase Metcalfs production chances are Locketts production may not hit his bonuses. But the main ? is do the Hawks believe Lockett is worth a 3rd contract? So the point I’m making is we cannot assume the players in final years of the contracts on the Seahawk team in 2021 are the best players available. This is a very unusual situation for NFL teams for atleast 25% of the league it’s tragic but for the Seahawks it’s a beautiful situation.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
All said in the end there are going to be significant cap machinations to keep several players and with only 4 draft picks (to start with) JS is going to have to be quite creative with the cap, and the mistakes of last season will hurt disproportionately if we have Olsen type goofs in terms of productivity to cost.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2uuzejvv said:
All said in the end there are going to be significant cap machinations to keep several players and with only 4 draft picks (to start with) JS is going to have to be quite creative with the cap, and the mistakes of last season will hurt disproportionately if we have Olsen type goofs in terms of productivity to cost.

When you have several players in final years of contracts it’s not complicated to extend them, cut them, or trade them all scenarios = 2021 cap hit going down &/or 2022 cap hit going down, Seattle has spent $87 Million in 2022 $180 cap minus $87 million spent = & $93 million to spend in 2022. Seattle spent $51 million in 2023 projected cap space $189 million to spend with RW under contract.

Trade Duane Brown for a round 3 pick save $11,350,000 in 2021. Signed Trent Williams 3 year 60 million 25 million guaranteed. Brown cap hit 2021 11,000,000, 2022 22,000,000 2023 27,000,000

Trade Jarren Reed for a round 3 pick save $8,975,000. Sign Leonard Williams 3 year 60 million 50 million guarantee.
Williams cap hit 2021, 2022, & 2023. 2021 8 million, 2022 26 million, 2023 26 million.

Olsen got hurt & RW didn’t throw the ball to him, not a thing anyone can do about it. If Olsen had a bunch of dropped passes then you could say he was a bad acquisition!

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That'd be nice if the team could trade out of the Reed contract and acquire Williams and exchange Trent Williams for Brown. I'm dubious it'd happen as there would be $11,350,000 in dead cap money left on Brown's deal and $8,975,000 left on Reed's

It'd seem to me that extending them both for a few seasons and converting their salaries to completely to guaranteed bonus $ capable of proration would be smarter. Albeit even if the player who'd be replacing them would potentially be an upgrade.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well John usually takes car of the big hitters first, the renegotiations are usually kept under wraps until big contracts figured out and we are all going how did they do that as is the rest of the league.

We don't leak much in Seattle no matter how much it rains with Pete and John here.

March is a long way off, this is going to be a terrible month of speculation and click bait stories along with watching the Wilson stories unfold.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
A lot need to be known here before a whole lot of massaging of contracts can occur.

1. What will the actual cap be for 2021? There are a lot of stories out there that the hard low cap number will be $175 million. OTC.com is using a number of $178 million for their cap calculations. I've seen a few recent stories that the cap will only drop $10 million in 2021 from $198 million to $188 million and have read thoughtful articles that have suggested there may be a compromise and the owners and the players union are attempting to soften the drop by spreading it out over a few seasons. Knowing the numbers going forward allows the teams to plan better and prevent wholesale gutting of some rosters. If the cap number is in fact $188 million the team then has some approximately $14 million in open and available cap before existing contracts are reworked.

2. What is the team's plan for the draft and FA? Of course that is unlikely to be divulged but some clues will be revealed with the contract that are redone and the FA moves and possible trades that are made.

3. Which if any contracts are right to extend and massage?

As most all of this will be covered by the usual wall of silence and most will be unknown until FA begins in March. i think the Wilson stories are nothing more than pure speculation. Silly season is upon us.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1us6zr62 said:
That'd be nice if the team could trade out of the Reed contract and acquire Williams and exchange Trant Williams for Brown. I'm dubious it'd happen as there would be $11,350,000 in dead cap money left on Brown's deal and $8,975,000 left on Reed's

It'd seem to me that extending them both for a few seasons and converting their salaries to completely to guaranteed bonus $ capable of proration would be smarter. Albeit even if the player who'd be replacing them would potentially be an upgrade.

It’s a cap savings of $11,350,000 for Brown & $8,975,000 savings for Reed. Typically teams assume the cap will rise around 10 million a year but that probably won’t happen in 2021 & 2022. Both years will probably be the same cap number or close to it. Seattle has only 87 Million on the books for 2022 they have the 5th most cap space. Steelers have cap hell in 2021 but have the highest amount of cap space in 2022, the problem they have is the 1 year contracts for 2021 are with much older players. Philly is a mess because they have negative cap space in 2021 and not much cap space in 2022.

The Super Bowl this year was a disaster ratings wise and during the season advertisers got discounts because viewership on games was terrible! It looks like the NFL screwed itself with the social justice anti Trump stuff. For sure the networks & internet companies are going low ball the NFL on the upcoming Contract negotiations!

This would definitely be a factor in the Seahawks trading RW the Seahawks Organization is a tightly run ship with a corporate mindset that is joined at the hip with Paul Allen’s VC firm. The companies in the portfolio of the firm have been slashing costs all year. It’s not as if they’re going to be cheap like the Colts it will convince them that the 2023 Cap may not rise as much as the other teams in the league believe it will.

I just wasted over 100 hours analyzing the cap & available Free Agents if Seattle trades RW.

Based on what I’ve seen RW is a goner probably to the Jets for Donald and a couple 1st picks & a player.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
jammerhawk":rki6vnwn said:
A lot need to be known here before a whole lot of massaging of contracts can occur.

1. What will the actual cap be for 2021? There are a lot of stories out there that the hard low cap number will be $175 million. OTC.com is using a number of $178 million for their cap calculations. I've seen a few recent stories that the cap will only drop $10 million in 2021 from $198 million to $188 million and have read thoughtful articles that have suggested there may be a compromise and the owners and the players union are attempting to soften the drop by spreading it out over a few seasons. Knowing the numbers going forward allows the teams to plan better and prevent wholesale gutting of some rosters. If the cap number is in fact $188 million the team then has some approximately $14 million in open and available cap before existing contracts are reworked.

2. What is the team's plan for the draft and FA? Of course that is unlikely to be divulged but some clues will be revealed with the contract that are redone and the FA moves and possible trades that are made.

3. Which if any contracts are right to extend and massage?

As most all of this will be covered by the usual wall of silence and most will be unknown until FA begins in March. i think the Wilson stories are nothing more than pure speculation. Silly season is upon us.

The NFL wants to keep the Cap as close to the 2020 Cap as possible due to the upcoming contract negotiations. The last thing they want to project is a declining fan base & major loss of revenue which will affect their ability to market games viewed on the networks. The question is how much $$ is the NFL making in 2020, 2021, & 2022? They will never open the books because everyone knows they’re getting their butts kicked. If they go with a 175 Cap for 2021 the networks will eat them alive.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I’m not sure what contracts you mean (TV?), but I do know the union will be pissed with the owners and create grief if the owners are too greedy trying to claw back money as a result of this unexpected situation that has screwed up many years of various team’s cap planning. Those owners will pay in terms of fan alienation and anger at lost hero’s who are cap casualties.

I fully expect some sensible amortization of the revenue drop, but as we all may appreciate we are far from being out of the woods with COVID asbestos estimates don’t have a safe inoculation level to be reached to allow a return to large gatherings until next year this time, so the poison has to be taken sooner or later or spread out which may be the wisest coursed action.
It’s an interesting problem, and we will soon know the owners answers, greed or common sense.

The months of rumours, wishful thinking, Madden dreaming, nonsense theories are rosterbation is now truly upon us.

Somewhere here someone suggested this could be a boring off season, somehow I doubt that will be the case. This cap reduction could be the thepoison that killed the goose who laid the golden egg

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
jammerhawk":ucx18lj8 said:
I’m not sure what contracts you mean (TV?), but I do know the union will be pissed with the owners and create grief if the owners are too greedy trying to claw back money as a result of this unexpected situation that has screwed up many years of various team’s cap planning. Those owners will pay in terms of fan alienation and anger at lost hero’s who are cap casualties.

I fully expect some sensible amortization of the revenue drop, but as we all may appreciate we are far from being out of the woods with COVID asbestos estimates don’t have a safe inoculation level to be reached to allow a return to large gatherings until next year this time, so the poison has to be taken sooner or later or spread out which may be the wisest coursed action.
It’s an interesting problem, and we will soon know the owners answers, greed or common sense.

The months of rumours, wishful thinking, Madden dreaming, nonsense theories are rosterbation is now truly upon us.

Somewhere here someone suggested this could be a boring off season, somehow I doubt that will be the case. This cap reduction could be the thepoison that killed the goose who laid the golden egg

New Media contracts start in 2023, negotiations are probably entering early stages. The NFL has been marketing the new Media contracts as massive revenue uptick. Thus creating a major buzz in the business world for NFL domination in media. While doing this last few years the NFL #’s having been going down in many areas but the NFL has been deflecting to the positives. Then COVID-19 hit but that was suppose to increase TV viewership they thought and increase gambling revenue they thought. It’s looking like a disaster, the NFL must do something quick to increase fan base & TV viewership or the Cap could be stuck between 175 million & 200 million for 25 years.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1vkwctme said:

Your right about COVID-19 but there’s definitely enough vaccinations out there to make a dramatic difference, they’re lying about not being enough to impact on a massive scale. The vaccines themselves are not very good or they want to panic the public cause they like things the way they are.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My friend you sound like a conspiracy theorist. Lots of politics in your reply which can't be responded to here but to date the political response has been weak indeed. I can't see the economic dislocation caused by self quarantines is helpful to any part of the community but that is not a discussion for here. I will just say I disagree.

On the cap, never under estimate the power of greed. Your thinking has a lot of merit to it on that subject the TV contracts are a good reason to not cut back the cap as much as several have suggested.

chris98251

Reaction score
Actually surprised the NFL has not set up Team Vaccinations yet, they are using almost all the Stadiums to do Max vaccinations now.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect that may come in due course but the NFL will catch it for jumping the line up for vaccinations.

This may happen as part of the trade-off for offering their facilities for mass vaccination sites.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
If I may make a request....is it possible to place the coaching staff on the first page as well as the team members? It may help to understand who is driving the team's specific coaching responsibilities. If not, no biggy.

Thanks for all you do Sir Jammerhawk.