2nd Round, Pick #49 Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":1aqjj24d said:
He wasn't asked to rush the passer at Alabama, that doesn't mean that he can't.

Check out the emphasized portion below.

Jazzhawk":1aqjj24d said:
From ESPN Draft tracker:

What he brings:
Reed is the best run-stopping defensive tackle in this class. He plays with excellent leverage and has the anchor, along with the upper-body power, to eat up space as a two-gapper at the next level. He shows heavy and active hands discarding blocks when tied up in a phone booth. He doesn't have great production as a pass-rusher, but he wasn't asked to rush the passer within his defensive scheme at Alabama. Reed has shown the ability to push the pocket from the interior. He will instantly upgrade the interior of the defensive line. -- Kevin Weidl

How he fits:
The 19th ranked player on our board and the top available player, Reed is an excellent value. He also fills a need as Seattle needed to add depth at defensive tackle with Brandon Mebane signing with San Diego and Jordan Hill battling a toe injury late in the 2015 season. Reed is an outstanding run defender whose toughness and strength make him a good for Seattle's stout front, plus he has some upside as a pass-rusher. -- Steve Muench
Exactly....listening to Softli and Millen (please no comments about him)...they are saying he has much upside in the pass rush area and simply wasn't tasked with this function in 'Bama's scheme. Let's see what he brings to the table this year.

I'm excited for this kid, to see what he can do.

pehawk

Reaction score
People said Mebane didn’t get pressure either. But when given the chance he did...and did well. It's about his assignment.

It's asinine to have any critique of this selection. Craziness.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, on at least a couple of his vid clips, he was getting push and making tackles in the backfield. If he can do that on running plays, it seems he should be able to get some push on pass plays, too. We don't necessarily need a lot of sacks from DTs, just push up the middle and making sure that no big gaps break open for the QB to run up the middle.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Who cares if he cant rush the passer or hasnt proven he can rush the passer.

The dude is hands down the most dominant run defender in this draft. If he can replace Mebane hes well worth the pick.

Just look at Linval Joseph, guy eats up space, takes on multiple defenders, and makes his defense much better.

If Reed can be that guy here, then this a steal of a pick.

Seahawks are getting a player, and apparantly hes ready to work.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3jf764cf said:
Not a tremendous fan of DTs that cannot get any pass rush at all. I already had enough of that with Rubin last year.

But that is a personal opinion thing, I feel as if it makes it easy for the opposing team to concentrate on the edge rushers then.

But he is a well put together DT that likely has little downside, though probably not a huge amount of upside either.

Feels like we are just filling the gaps instead of shooting for the moon on this one. Hopefully the rest of the draft we start aiming for more guys that have higher risk but higher potential payoff.

And there is always a good chance of being wrong, so I will hope for that.

Concentrating on the edge rusher only works if the QB can step into the pocket. Being able to collapse the pocket from the interior prevents that and allows the edge rusher to get to the QB. It's also beneficial for deeper sacks as the QB will peddle backwards away from a collapsing pocket. Best way to get pressure on the QB is collapsing the pocket. It's important.

bandiger

Reaction score
I don't know how people can criticize this pick, its unbelievable value.

McGruff

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":34wgpm7y said:

The dude is hands down the most dominant run defender in this draft. If he can replace Mebane hes well worth the pick.

Just look at Linval Joseph, guy eats up space, takes on multiple defenders, and makes his defense much better.

The comparison made on the telecast was to Michael Brockers of St. Louis. A guy who does a ton of dirty work so others can get the glory.

I actually see a guy that is more than a space eater. He's not Tony Siragussa. He's Sam Adams.

chris98251

Reaction score
McGruff":27nx79zf said:
Pandion Haliaetus":27nx79zf said:

The comparison made on the telecast was to Michael Brockers of St. Louis. A guy who does a ton of dirty work so others can get the glory.

I actually see a guy that is more than a space eater. He's not Tony Siragussa. He's Sam Adams.

Hopefully Sam before he got fat.

McGruff

Reaction score
chris98251":3jqy16w2 said:
McGruff":3jqy16w2 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3jqy16w2 said:

Hopefully Sam before he got fat.

Fat Sam was still pretty damn good.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I would take Sam Adams in a heartbeat.

I won't lie. Less than 5 sacks scares me, with all the guys the opposing team had to block on that Alabama team - it feels like he should have just stumbled onto at least a few sacks. At least 5.

But if you are right and my concerns are baseless, Sam Adams that would be glorious.

Shock2k

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":xfhly9dx said:

I won't lie. Less than 5 sacks scares me, with all the guys the opposing team had to block on that Alabama team - it feels like he should have just stumbled onto at least a few sacks. At least 5.

But if you are right and my concerns are baseless, Sam Adams that would be glorious.

Mebane wasn't a sack machine either. But that's not going to be his job. His job is to be the black hole for running backs.

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
mikeak":6xm4v9qx said:
bmorepunk":6xm4v9qx said:
I hate this pick. Bad trade value. Arizona picked a much better player. Same exact player as Jeff Feagles.

You mean Arizona's pick at the end of the first round was better than a middle second round pick?

On paper that makes sense but we didn't want that player back then so irrelevant

This is great value.....we drop 5 spots get a Rd 1/2 OL and a extra 3rd, and get a RD 1 ...DL in the last part of the 2nd

McGruff

Reaction score
Shock2k":ezhxb7y6 said:
TwistedHusky":ezhxb7y6 said:

Mebane wasn't a sack machine either. But that's not going to be his job. His job is to be the black hole for running backs.

Good description of what I see in Reed. You either run away from him, or you get engulfed by him.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
McGruff":1o8bhguv said:
Shock2k":1o8bhguv said:
TwistedHusky":1o8bhguv said:

Good description of what I see in Reed. You either run away from him, or you get engulfed by him.

Seeing a LOT of that sort of praise for him. Gotta love it! And that feeds right into our strength: take the run away and dare them to pass on the Legion of Boom.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/726229744035880960[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/726231130060410880[/tweet]

sutz

Reaction score
McGruff":2lmh8ln3 said:
Shock2k":2lmh8ln3 said:
TwistedHusky":2lmh8ln3 said:

If he can stuff the middle, the RB will be forced outside, right into the fastest players on our D. :)

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Sounds great. Thanks for the replies, all.

Just heard Jim Nagy, Seahawks southeast area scout, say Reed is the best run stuffer he's seen in a long while. Also said he's ready to play day 1.

Far out.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Reed and Tuba are going to do alot of damage to opponents pockets. With Bennett and Avril causing disruption and Clark roaming around I think there is the makings a very dominant front seven. Not a bad thing to have in front of the LOB.

Things are gonna get messy.

That QB has the right idea, he wore the brown pants.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
"Led Alabama in tackles from the defensive line position the last 2 years in a row."

Damn.

Latest posts