49ers stink ass 3rd straight game

94Smith

Reaction score
Check out the 49ers webzone. They're ready to fire coaches, bench Purdy, and they HATE Bosa. It's pandemonium over there...
Typically overreaction to a 17 week season. I try not to get too high or too low, but it is tough with the one - two week pauses between games

NINEster

Reaction score
Check out the 49ers webzone. They're ready to fire coaches, bench Purdy, and they HATE Bosa. It's pandemonium over there...

The most objective take here that many Niner fans and analysts are starting to come to a consensus on, is that our coordinator Steve Wilks just ain't it.

It appears the first few games, whether it was the newness of scheme/lack of great QBs/etc....got covered up by a fully healthy offense scoring lots of points and dictating terms.

There will always be overreactions, but I'm not worried about Purdy or the offense one bit. It's still Shanahan's offense, and he's shown he can produce late season year after year.

But this defense, wow. I know Seahawk fans have complained about defense in recent years, but this recent Niner defense is certainly worse than anything I've seen in a long ass time.

The only good news for the Niners is that this is in theory, fixable. I'd wager the defensive roster is better than last year, but at the very worst it's about the same (maybe slightly worse at corner, but definitely better on DL). For massive defensive fall off you'd normally blame it on injuries, but I've seen far less talented Niner defenses do better.

The real scare is that a scheme fix might not be fixable in season. Three weeks in a row of garbage, ok maybe something can happen during the bye.

Goes to show you that coordinator continuity is hard AF, and Niner fans figured Saleh to Ryans worked out fine, so maybe anyone can operate this defense, but apparently not.

And I'd say without top top corners, you need scheme/pass rush to at least look functional.

TJ Watt or Myles Garrett could be flown in on loan and absolutely nothing would change, and that's frightening.

I've gone around telling casuals that football is absolutely the #1 sport where coaching has an impact. Coaches put in a lot of hard work during the week, so imagine if they did absolutely nothing? Would be 70-20 each week around the league.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Typically overreaction to a 17 week season. I try not to get too high or too low, but it is tough with the one - two week pauses between games
If I were a 49er fan, I'd be pissed at Bosa too. Guy takes a payday, then you stop hearing about him...

94Smith

Reaction score
If I were a 49er fan, I'd be pissed at Bosa too. Guy takes a payday, then you stop hearing about him...
He is still getting pressures and qb hits, just not sacks and had a few blown run assignments yesterday. People equate sacks with performance, but he is still performing at a high level, not DPOY level. Just the whole defense as a whole is not performing well on 3rd down, and they need to all step it up to the level they are capable of.

evergreen

Reaction score
defense is harder after a bunch of turnovers... And to be fair cousins played out of his mind.

Marvin49

Reaction score
So....

...just like any other fanbase, Niner fans are in full on meltdown mode. I have concerns for sure, but I'm not in "throw out the baby with the bathwater" mode as so many appear to be.

1) Purdy: He was really bad vs the Browns. vs Vikings and Bengals he actually played VERY well before becoming a turnover machine late in the games. There are reasons for this on several of the plays, but bottom line is he didn't p[lay well at all at the end of the games. I keep having to remind myself tho that the dude is 23 years old and still hasn't started a full season. He's made some incredible throws the last two weeks (one to Kittle between 3 defenders yesterday was bonkers), but he's starting to make those young QB mistakes when he begins to press. These are the bonehead plays Jimmy used to make. Problem is that Jimmy never stopped. Remains to be seen RE Brock.

2) Defense: I'm at a complete loss. Many here say I try to spin things positively for the Niners but I got nothing on the D. Its been shredded the last two weeks. D-Line can't get home. Guys running free in the secondary. I mean I think it actually started vs the Rams in week 2 and I'm seeing alot of the same problems last few weeks with Minn and Cincy who run similar systems. Bosa is being constantly doubled, chipped, etc and nobody else is making them pay for the extra attention. Drake Jackson looked like he could be that guy in week 1, but he's been invisible since. Hargrave had three sacks early, but nothing in a month.

It FEELS like teams found a weakness in the Niner D and they can't find a way to overcome it. Cousins and Burrow were like a combined 66 of 77 for over 600 yards. That is NOT the Niner D we've been accustomed to. Is it Wilks? Maybe...but players gotta play as well and the missed tackles has been crazy. I watched Hufanga miss 3 or 4 yesterday alone. Greenlaw (although to be fair is in bad shape...bad ankle, bad hammy, and bad shoulder) is a shadow of himself.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make 2 moves at the deadline...one for a pass rusher and another for a DB. They need this bye in the worst way.

To be honest...I'm not even thinking about playoffs right now. I'm in "can we just win a game" mode. Seahawks currently have division lead, but not even on that page yet till they can prove they can win any game again.

EDIT: RE Purdy...just look at some of these throws. People are acting like he's horrible now and that the clock is striking midnight. Late game turnovers are a problem...but MAN...look at some of these to Kittle in particular.

Last edited:

Torc

Reaction score
I have not watched the games....but I don't understand the complaints from whiner fans about the defense.

Their opponents this year have scored:
7 / 23 / 12 / 16 / 10 / 19 / 22 / 31

Until that 31 against the bengals, most teams would be pretty darn happy with that. In 5 of 8 games they've held their opponent under 20. Yet there are calls for the DC's job. Or head.

Sheesh. Whiners. (Although you'd see that on ANY fan site during a 3 game losing streak)

On the Purdy note, I keep seeing people say he doesn't look the same after the concussion a few weeks ago, and that he shouldn't have played yesterday. Is that accurate?

Marvin49

Reaction score
I have not watched the games....but I don't understand the complaints from whiner fans about the defense.

Their opponents this year have scored:
7 / 23 / 12 / 16 / 10 / 19 / 22 / 31

Until that 31 against the bengals, most teams would be pretty darn happy with that. In 5 of 8 games they've held their opponent under 20. Yet there are calls for the DC's job. Or head.

Sheesh. Whiners. (Although you'd see that on ANY fan site during a 3 game losing streak)

On the Purdy note, I keep seeing people say he doesn't look the same after the concussion a few weeks ago, and that he shouldn't have played yesterday. Is that accurate?

No...not accurate. Look at the video I posted above. He made some ludicrous throws. He's just been plagued by late game mistakes. This week one was a total Jimmy G INT throw right to a LB and the other was a handoff he missed and then tried to make something of it and the LB deflected then picked off a 2 yard pass...really weird play and one he can't make again.

As for D...you have to watch the games. Cincy didn't punt till 6 min left in 3rd quarter. Minn didn't punt till 4th quarter. Simply can't make a stop. Combined those QBs were 66 of 77 for over 600 yards.

knownone

Reaction score
Purdy's issues are coming up when he has to create outside the system. Sometimes it works out well. He's pretty adept at getting out of the pocket and making Wilsonesque plays. Other times, he forces throws that he can't physically make.

The Niners need to fix their defense because they can't win multiple playoff games relying on Purdy to carry the offense for four quarters. He's not that guy.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Purdy's issues are coming up when he has to create outside the system. Sometimes it works out well. He's pretty adept at getting out of the pocket and making Wilsonesque plays. Other times, he forces throws that he can't physically make.

The Niners need to fix their defense because they can't win multiple playoff games relying on Purdy to carry the offense for four quarters. He's not that guy.

Agree with you.

He makes a number of plays out of structure that surprise me....but its too much to ask him to do this at this point in his career (or perhaps ever) on a regular basis.

He made back to back throws scrambling one way and across the field at the end. I don't want him doing that on a regular basis even if one resulted in a first down and the other a TD. Eventually thats gonna be an INT.

Latest posts