710 new morning show *yawn*

ivotuk

Reaction score
They make a big deal out of announcing it, keeping it a secret until today, then a BIG RED BANNER the NEW HOSTS are Danny O'Neill and Paul Gallant?

Really? I am extremely disappointed! Who the hell is Gallant? I did some searches, and the first thing that I got was an obituary!

Paul Gallant

July 11, 1961 - September 17, 2019 (58 years old)

Pensacola, Florida

https://www.everhere.com/us/obituaries/ ... kgo.com%2F

Might as well have added "710 ESPN" to that obit. But maybe that's the wrong "P. Gallant?" I don't know, but honestly, the first things that came up when I did a search were obituarys.

So I tried Paul Gallant and Washington and got this:

Paul Gallant Managing Director, Cowen Washington Research Group - Technology, Media and Telecom

https://www.cowen.com/profile/paul-gallant/

I think even that Paul would have been better than this one:

To my Houston family:

Words can’t describe how much this city has meant to me & will ALWAYS mean to me. You are a caring, loving place that made me a better person.

I’m so glad we got to celebrate a championship together, & I wish you the best in the wars to come. Love y’all.

https://twitter.com/GallantSays

*yawn*

I certainly hope this turns out better than it appears, I promise I'll be patient. But O'Neills' phony laugh, arrogance, and vain attempts at coming up with a "unique viewpoint" wears on me.

Granted, Danny has some ability, and some of his ideas are pretty good, but the "Stop the Hype!" on DK Metcalf fell flat on it's face. He's his own worst enemy.

IMHO, he could have done so much better when it was he and Brock, but he let his ego get out of control because of who he was partnering with, and would get so upset when Brock would downplay his football history and personal notoriety. That comes off as "I depend on being cool by association! And you're not helping!"

We'll see. Radio hosts derail their own careers 9 out of 10 times by forgetting it's all about the audience. I loved Gee Scott, and he could have, and my still, had a bright future in Sports Radio, but his on air manner could be insulting sometimes.

I sincerely hope Gee works his way back, because he's a great assett to Seattle Sports Radio, and the local community. I have a feeling he will be back at 710, sooner than later.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, I'm not gonna' miss Salk and his constant anger and whining. I'll miss Brock. But I'll check out the podcast from time to time. I'm glad we won't hear the Groz much either, should have retired a decade ago.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I was nodding my head agreeing with you until you started praising Gee Scott. He's awful, all he does is brag about how tight he is with the players.

Danny has his issues but you picked some weird ones. He told people to calm it on the DK hype? So did a lot of people.. Is there anything wrong with that? I am glad I didn't expect too much from DK because this has been a pleasant surprise.

Soulfish had it on the nail - Salk was trash and Brock carried that show. Groz definitely overstayed his welcome. I'm willing to give this new guy a chance, I'm happy for new voices on the radio. I'm not the biggest fan of Heaps but a new voice is nice.

Fade

Reaction score
Brock & Salk were pretty good their first go around. When Salk came back it just wasn't the same. It has been a 2nd job for them, and it showed. Condensing themselves down to 1 hour a week will be for the best.

Groz is the luckiest, most untalented hack in Seattle sports radio history. His last 10 years on the air have been like Tom Cable offensive line play. You just have to sit back in awe at how the guy still had a job.

O'Neil was enjoyable back when he was a reporter and would call in as a guest on the other station. Host wise, he is okay, he isn't the reason why you tune in, but he also isn't bad enough to make you turn it off. C+.

It's crazy how time flies though. I remember how I would have 950 on nearly 24/7 in the background at work, in the car, and at home 15-20 years ago. Now I might consume an hour a week, if that. The quality level has really dropped off in the last 5 years especially.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1si1wml1 said:
I was nodding my head agreeing with you until you started praising Gee Scott. He's awful, all he does is brag about how tight he is with the players.

Danny has his issues but you picked some weird ones. He told people to calm it on the DK hype? So did a lot of people.. Is there anything wrong with that? I am glad I didn't expect too much from DK because this has been a pleasant surprise.

Soulfish had it on the nail - Salk was trash and Brock carried that show. Groz definitely overstayed his welcome. I'm willing to give this new guy a chance, I'm happy for new voices on the radio. I'm not the biggest fan of Heaps but a new voice is nice.

Like I said, my opinion, which means others are going to disagree. I thought Danny pushed his "Stop the Hype," viewpoint too hard. As hard as others were pushing "DK's going to be great!"

I loved Gee Scott, and he could have, and may still, had a bright future in Sports Radio, but his on air manner could be insulting sometimes.

And I disagree about Salk, he was okay, again, imho, a better co-host with Brock than Danny was.

I'm hoping that the new show outdoes my initial impression, but I'm not optimistic. And I think the way they announced it "overhyped" the whole "new radio show" thing. Like it was some big surprise host on the morning show, instead of a couple of retreads. To me, it's like a different team hiring a mediocre coach that had so-so success at another station, and treating it like they just hired the next Bill Belicheck. But maybe that plays well there. Just not to me. And like everyone else, I'm going to post my opinion.

One thing I am looking forward to, is Michael Bumpus. He's been on before, and I enjoy him.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Glad Salk is gone. He made me change the station and that;s how I found one of the best Seahawk 10 minutes with Gregg Bell. Not a lot of BS and good information.

I like Danny.

I like Jim Moore.

Their both odd balls.

Gibbo

Reaction score
Soooo happy Salk has gone.

Condescending, arrogant.... I stopped listening to them because of him.

I was hoping Heaps would get the morning but now he’s been announced as afternoon.

TreeRon

Reaction score
O'Neill for Salk seems like an even trade. I'll give the new guy Gallant a fair shake. I did like the genuine folksiness (and knowledge) of Brock, seems like a good guy.
Heaps is knowledgeable but not very polished. He'll get better with experience. I like his insight. I like anyones' insight. More info is good.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Salk needs a Snickers Bar...….every single day. Whining east coast grumpy dude. It got old long ago.
Gee is kind of hit or miss, good guy but his thing gets a little old after the same thing over and over.
Jim Moore is next level annoying. Shoot, give the new guy a chance. Everyone had to start somewhere.
He can't be any worse than Groz, Salk or Moore.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Curious about the ratio of people listening to local sports talk radio vs podcasts. Personally, I used to listen to sports talk radio pretty frequently but it's all podcasts now, as with podcasts you don't have to listen to anyone that you don't want to hear or sports you're not interested in.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
I'm really glad Groz is gone. Take your go cowboys crap with you.
Bob and groz were terrible for Seattle radio. You can tell they would downplay seattle sports.

Jim Moore makes me want to puke. "Hey look how dumb I am, haha. Guess what the next stupid thing I'm going to say, cause I dont even know what I'm going to say. Is this not funny? Hey I'm this old so I just dont care." :pukeface: :34853_doh:

I loved Brock and Salk. Salk was an ass, but they played off each other well.

I'll hear the new guy out, but my morning routine may change to music.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And Moore still making excuses for yet ANOTHER Apple Cup loss. As in 6 in a row. But yeah, they got smoked at home because of the snow :roll:

endzorn

Reaction score
Does Danny O’Neil live in New York now? What’s up with the New York remotes?

I’m willing to give this Gallant guy a chance. I like voices from people who aren’t homers. I know what the homer point of view is so I like people without an allegiance to give their opinion. I just hope he isn’t the milktoast-style host that 710 prefers.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Lol, I remember my wife walking in to the bathroom in the morning as I was getting ready for work. She listened to Salk for a few minutes, "who is this pussy? Jesus dude, grow a pair. How can you listen to this?" Despite Salk's liberal beta male whining, he grew on me and I came to appreciate the ying and yang thing he and Brock had.

zchurch74

Reaction score
The new guy is coming from Houston radio. Just hope he is better then the guy that came from Nebraska. That guy was trash and I’m from Nebraska. We were so happy to get rid of him when he was here.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I was a huge Brock and Salk fan and will miss them.

When Danny was filling in during the morning show a few weeks ago he actually seemed a little reined in and listenable. But I heard this 'Gallant' guy yesterday and came away wanting. But, I'll try out the show and see how it goes. My expectations are low.

zchurch74

Reaction score
What is everyone’s opinion of the other station? How do they compare?