Abe Lucas is returning to practice!

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Will Peterson play a little tackle? Run the football! :)

OP
OP
Lagartixa

Lagartixa

Reaction score
It's not even clear when Lucas will return to playing. The Seahawks designated him to return to practice, and he was listed as a limited participant in Wednesday's practice. He's still not back on the 53-man roster yet, and the Seahawks have 21 days during which he can practice with the team before they have to put him on the roster.

Carroll said that it's not yet clear whether Lucas's problems are completely behind him. He said we'll have to see how he responds and recovers from practicing.

So as of now, there's a decent chance Lucas won't even be back on the 53-man roster by the time the Rams game happens, and I'm confident that when he is back on the roster, the Seahawks will make every effort not to push him too hard and increase the chance of his knee getting worse.

rjdriver

Reaction score
It's not even clear when Lucas will return to playing. The Seahawks designated him to return to practice, and he was listed as a limited participant in Wednesday's practice. He's still not back on the 53-man roster yet, and the Seahawks have 21 days during which he can practice with the team before they have to put him on the roster.

Carroll said that it's not yet clear whether Lucas's problems are completely behind him. He said we'll have to see how he responds and recovers from practicing.

So as of now, there's a decent chance Lucas won't even be back on the 53-man roster by the time the Rams game happens, and I'm confident that when he is back on the roster, the Seahawks will make every effort not to push him too hard and increase the chance of his knee getting worse.
Good content.

I hate to even suggest looking past an opponent, especially one that stole your lunch in week one...

BUT..

If we can't squeak past LAR as is, we are getting throttled in the next four so I say let him have this week off and ease him next week to be ready for Santa Clara.

renofox

Reaction score
Lucas' knee condition is not an injury, it is a chronic issue. I feel really sorry for the kid as it is highly likely his promising NFL career is going to be cut short.

It will suck for the Seahawks to miss out on the contributions from Lucas, who has shown the ability to be a top-tier RT, but I hope he has a good doctor who is making his long-term health the priority.

I have a friend his size who was diagnosed with chronic knee issues while playing college ball and the team doctors pushed him to keep playing. He did, and he basically lost the use of his knee before graduation and has spent his whole life hobbling with a cane.

I pray Lucas' issue isn't anywhere near this severe. I pray harder that he gets humane advice and doesn't push it to the point he impairs his future.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Lucas' knee condition is not an injury, it is a chronic issue. I feel really sorry for the kid as it is highly likely his promising NFL career is going to be cut short.

It will suck for the Seahawks to miss out on the contributions from Lucas, who has shown the ability to be a top-tier RT, but I hope he has a good doctor who is making his long-term health the priority.

I have a friend his size who was diagnosed with chronic knee issues while playing college ball and the team doctors pushed him to keep playing. He did, and he basically lost the use of his knee before graduation and has spent his whole life hobbling with a cane.

I pray Lucas' issue isn't anywhere near this severe. I pray harder that he gets humane advice and doesn't push it to the point he impairs his future.
Do you have a source that says Lucas's knee issues are chronic?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
PC said it multiple times this week, starting with his Monday show and ending with his Friday press conference.
You think that's why the Hawks were able to get him in the 3rd round? I had no idea about his knee issues being chronic until reading these posts today but it might put things into perspective regarding his draft pick.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score

Wonder if the issue was identified at the combine and that’s why he lasted into round 3 of the draft. His testing and tape graded him higher.

renofox

Reaction score
SI Article Abe Lucas Injury

This gives some info but implies PC may have been unclear on the "chronic" issue. I watched every PC appearance/conference this week and I thought he was clearly using "chronic" in relation to the knee and not to the injury. I'm not sure which time he strongly implied it, but I am pretty sure it was a slip and he was probably kicking himself for it afterwards. One item of note - he used the word "chronic" every time he talked about Lucas' knee this week - there was a strategy in choosing that word and repeating it so many times.

I don't see anywhere it's been 100% directly addressed, but the verbiage used by PC makes me 99% certain that there is a chronic structural knee issue.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
So he did not have any surgery? Sucks we had to take an injury case
like him.
You drafted that high on a player likely limited in his time of playing?