About this "horrible" defense,

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If they can hold reasonable offenses to FGs, then OK.

My worry is these were FGs more because Miami is a young team with a rookie starting RB, one decent WR, and one decent TE.

If better offenses do the same thing and then turn those into TDs? (Like Dallas seemed to do) then that is very problematic.

We will see vs the Vikings.

For now, it is something to be concerned about.

But maybe when our people come back healthy, our defense stop not only giving up scores but limiting our touches on offense.

Fade

Reaction score
I am still uncomfortable with this defense to get a stop when the game's on the line. The defense melted like butter in the Florida sun down the stretch, but thanks to the offense converting they never had to punt the ball back to MIA.

I was mentally preparing myself for overtime if they would've punted back to MIA with a 1:45 left.

But still, they definitely played better for 4 quarters than the last 3 weeks. They got the -W-, I will take it.

xray

Reaction score
The D is good enough so far , as long as the O scores a bunch .

ballard1951

Reaction score
We are improving, and we win while we're doing it. A little bit more peteball than I wanted today, but as long as we win I don't complain.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2lbea6mt said:
You could also point out they are getting a ton of passing yards because our 'worthless D Line' is so GOOD against the run we are forcing them them to throw it. I think we were 2nd against the run (in the league) going into this game, and we have outgained every one of our opponents in run yardage gained.
It's always a good thing if you can take something away from an offence and make them one dimensional.

I don't want to be "that guy" but we got outrushed today 103-98 so I guess it's officially time to panic.

sutz

Reaction score
I will allow a couple of minor, but important criticisms.

1 Yeah, not forcing enough punts. D needs to get off the field better or at least more often.

2 Related to 1, while they didn't allow many huge plays over the top in Miami, there were still too many plays in the 10-20 yard range. Too many converted 2nd or 3rd and longs.

Loving the 4-0 record.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Defense was better today but stronger teams aren't going to kick 5 FG's while not really ever punting the ball. Fitz missed badly on a few passes, some should have been picked. Other than that he had a relatively easy time making plays.

Tre Flowers shouldn't see a starting snap the rest of the year. I don't know if his confidence is shot from losing his job but he's regressed so much since an already poor season last year. I can't handle watching another easy 10+ yard completion on him while he makes no effort to break on the ball from his 5 yard cushion. Amadi and Shaq are so much more aggressive playing the ball the in the air, it's almost a guarantee completion throwing his way.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This defense is horrible, there is no two ways around it. The truth of the matter is we played Miami, a bottom feeder team. Fitzpatrick is a feast or famine type of QB, and a gunslinger. He'll force balls into tight coverages, and throw into multiple defenders. Today he gave us a lot of freebies, and he was really pressing. His WR's also didn't help him out today either. Against better teams and better QBs and teams this defense would have been absolutely obliterated today.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
It's really quite simple. Instead of holding the offense back until the 4th quarter, Pete's done a 180 and is now holding back the defense until the 4th quarter. Why he adheres to this philosophy for a particular part of the team remains a mystery.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I suggest you guys watch a few more Dallas games if you want to see a truly horrible defense. Our defense is just good enough.

LTH

Reaction score
sutz":2efi1syk said:
I will allow a couple of minor, but important criticisms.

1 Yeah, not forcing enough punts. D needs to get off the field better or at least more often.

2 Related to 1, while they didn't allow many huge plays over the top in Miami, there were still too many plays in the 10-20 yard range. Too many converted 2nd or 3rd and longs.

Loving the 4-0 record.

That's surly an issue at least it's going to be. I think the important thing is that they keep improving every week...considering the injury situation I think it was an improved performance but still work in progress.

I think The Rams will be our biggest test we will know how good this D is going to be after that game

Interested to know what your expectation for Taylor is? Im not expecting much this season but just hoping he brings something..

LTH

chris98251

Reaction score
The only way we will know what we have is when we get healthy or as close to it as we can, defense does not perform well with constant moving pieces, communication and trust are the keys, if you don't have that you get guys trying to compensate and not filling their own assignments and playing down hill making everyone look slower or leaves holes on coverage and gaps.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":e3vgrepl said:
This defense is horrible, there is no two ways around it. The truth of the matter is we played Miami, a bottom feeder team. Fitzpatrick is a feast or famine type of QB, and a gunslinger. He'll force balls into tight coverages, and throw into multiple defenders. Today he gave us a lot of freebies, and he was really pressing. His WR's also didn't help him out today either. Against better teams and better QBs and teams this defense would have been absolutely obliterated today.

Hopefully we won't be playing top shelf QB's with today's personnel. Injuries ravaged our secondary today as you know.

And in fairness, we've played 3 good QB's, got shredded pretty good by all of them, and are undefeated. Not sustainable of course, but our offense is good enough to win most of the time regardless. Average defensive play (which I think this group is capable of) is enough for this team to win a Super Bowl.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Idk guys...I'm not trying to be negative Nancy, but I will call it how it is. Our defense is trash!!! Had we played the packers, chiefs, ravens, bucs, saints etc. Those teams will be scoring at will just like dallas did. Maybe not the saints...they are weird this year. So I will throw in the Bills. While some of those teams are AFC...some are NFC. If we want the bowl then we have to defeat the NFC first. I'm pretty confident we will reach the playoffs, but when it comes down to it with how the defense is playing will most of you still be singing we are 4-0, 8-0, 10-0 when we are literally winning games in the last drive to even the dolphins? What about Goff and kyler?Where our offense is on fire and our defense finally makes a play in the closing seconds. I'd rather not take the chance. Fix the defense and let's hammer these clowns!!!

I'd still say switch to dominate man defense in press coverage. At least 75 percent man and substitute often. Flowers and Dunbar outside dbs and put Griffin on the slots. Bump these dam recievers until they reach the five yard distance and trail hella close if not ahead of their every step! Leave the safeties alone. Whether its diggs and Adam's or diggs and neal, diggs and randall....dont matter...they are fine. Besides Adam's is basically a linebacker in our scheme. The problem is short and middle field with line backers in zone. As much as I hate to say it...cuz bobby might be my all time favorite...he and kj need to come off the field on passing situations for quem and barton, quem and kirven, quem and some dam linebacker who can cover in zone over the middle. As linebackers in coverage on all 3 downs kj and bobby have started to hinder our dominance as a whole. Oh and lay off flowers. He plays 10 ft back because he is told to. No other way to explain guranteed slants for first downs. Those guranteed passes happen on both sides of the field by the way..not just to flowers. Think about it...in zone coverage who's responsibility is the crossing reciever...zone3 or 2.. its on linebackers. Corners play flats or deep thirds. If we put flowers in press we lock down that side just like we did when browner played. But only in man coverage.

Stop hating specific players. Offence or defense. It's a team game. Go hawks!

chris98251

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":23f4293m said:
Idk guys...I'm not trying to be negative Nancy, but I will call it how it is. Our defense is trash!!! Had we played the packers, chiefs, ravens, bucs, saints etc. Those teams will be scoring at will just like dallas did. Maybe not the saints...they are weird this year. So I will throw in the Bills. While some of those teams are AFC...some are NFC. If we want the bowl then we have to defeat the NFC first. I'm pretty confident we will reach the playoffs, but when it comes down to it with how the defense is playing will most of you still be singing we are 4-0, 8-0, 10-0 when we are literally winning games in the last drive to even the dolphins? What about Goff and kyler?Where our offense is on fire and our defense finally makes a play in the closing seconds. I'd rather not take the chance. Fix the defense and let's hammer these clowns!!!

I'd still say switch to dominate man defense in press coverage. At least 75 percent man and substitute often. Flowers and Dunbar outside dbs and put Griffin on the slots. Bump these dam recievers until they reach the five yard distance and trail hella close if not ahead of their every step! Leave the safeties alone. Whether its diggs and Adam's or diggs and neal, diggs and randall....dont matter...they are fine. Besides Adam's is basically a linebacker in our scheme. The problem is short and middle field with line backers in zone. As much as I hate to say it...cuz bobby might be my all time favorite...he and kj need to come off the field on passing situations for quem and barton, quem and kirven, quem and some dam linebacker who can cover in zone over the middle. As linebackers in coverage on all 3 downs kj and bobby have started to hinder our dominance as a whole. Oh and lay off flowers. He plays 10 ft back because he is told to. No other way to explain guranteed slants for first downs. Those guranteed passes happen on both sides of the field by the way..not just to flowers. Think about it...in zone coverage who's responsibility is the crossing reciever...zone3 or 2.. its on linebackers. Corners play flats or deep thirds. If we put flowers in press we lock down that side just like we did when browner played. But only in man coverage.

Stop hating specific players. Offence or defense. It's a team game. Go hawks!

You don't put long CB's inside, you also don't use power against quick, you lose every time, why Lockett is so successful he is so quick.

With health we will have more continuity, we have a lot of guys learning this defense right now also as they have just been added recently. Zone is best when you have to simplify things.

hawks85

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":deuqoe1j said:
Yup, I have been saying this since Norton has been DC. That dude has got to go. He's the worst DC in the entire league, and its not even close.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
[/quote] You don't put long CB's inside, you also don't use power against quick, you lose every time, why Lockett is so successful he is so quick.

With health we will have more continuity, we have a lot of guys learning this defense right now also as they have just been added recently. Zone is best when you have to simplify things.[/quote]

What are you talking about? How bout read in entirety. I said quil griffin 26 playing slot in a man defense. He is literally our best man cover corner and quickest at that. Listed at 6' compared to 6'3" flowers and 6'2" dunbar. Zone is best when you have to simplify coaching. Not beating opponent offenses. Thus we have seen this far. Zone is dead in the nfl and no one knows it. We have given up the most yards passing defensive wide in the league easy. All it takes is one of those plays to turn td instead of being stopped on a lucky off man tackle. Zone is suited for lazy react defense instead of make a play defense which is man. Where we could finally say hey flowers cover your man better because you just got burnt. Not zone where we have excuses for lax defense and pushing blame to others territory by saying hey I was in my zone.

TypeSly

Reaction score
I don't have big problem with the secondary this year, but I can't stand our D-line. But take that with a grain of salt, because it's weird... I've never seen a D-line be so bad against the pass, yet this good against the run.

Also this year, it seems that when the D-line does it's job, then the secondary breaks down, and vice versa. :Dunno:

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
TypeSly":3294iwdv said:
I don't have big problem with the secondary this year, but I can't stand our D-line. But take that with a grain of salt, because it's weird... I've never seen a D-line be so bad against the pass, yet this good against the run.

Also this year, it seems that when the D-line does it's job, then the secondary breaks down, and vice versa. :Dunno:

Understand man. I just looked at nfl com and we are listed as both 6th worst run and pass defense. It's not just pass rush. We cant cover. We cant hit the qb and our rush defense seems great accept no is running against us attempts wise...except to show they will deviate to the pass and complete it quickly downfield. If a team takes advantage of that from the first series til the end of a game...we are in trouble.

chris98251

Reaction score
Amadi is much quicker, really need to look at whom is there on defense.

Latest posts