About this "horrible" defense,

TypeSly

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":d56g8jro said:
TypeSly":d56g8jro said:
I don't have big problem with the secondary this year, but I can't stand our D-line. But take that with a grain of salt, because it's weird... I've never seen a D-line be so bad against the pass, yet this good against the run.

Also this year, it seems that when the D-line does it's job, then the secondary breaks down, and vice versa. :Dunno:

Understand man. I just looked at nfl com and we are listed as both 6th worst run and pass defense. It's not just pass rush. We cant cover. We cant hit the qb and our rush defense seems great accept no is running against us attempts wise...except to show they will deviate to the pass and complete it quickly downfield. If a team takes advantage of that from the first series til the end of a game...we are in trouble.

Hey, good points and I'm in agreeance. Football is just the biggest team game, and when one part breaks down, it causes other break-downs. In the end, I don't think any of us are truly confindent in our D. I think we can all generally agree, that something has to change / happen on our D, for the Seahawks to be a championship winning team.

And on the opposite end, besides little tiny nit-picking gripes, we can mostly agree that our O is (so far) better than any team can expect or even hope for.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
TypeSly":22homz2m said:
jamescasey1124":22homz2m said:
TypeSly":22homz2m said:
I don't have big problem with the secondary this year, but I can't stand our D-line. But take that with a grain of salt, because it's weird... I've never seen a D-line be so bad against the pass, yet this good against the run.

Also this year, it seems that when the D-line does it's job, then the secondary breaks down, and vice versa. :Dunno:

Understand man. I just looked at nfl com and we are listed as both 6th worst run and pass defense. It's not just pass rush. We cant cover. We cant hit the qb and our rush defense seems great accept no is running against us attempts wise...except to show they will deviate to the pass and complete it quickly downfield. If a team takes advantage of that from the first series til the end of a game...we are in trouble.

Hey, good points and I'm in agreeance. Football is just the biggest team game, and when one part breaks down, it causes other break-downs. In the end, I don't think any of us are truly confindent in our D. I think we can all generally agree, that something has to change / happen on our D, for the Seahawks to be a championship winning team.

And on the opposite end, besides little tiny nit-picking gripes, we can mostly agree that our O is (so far) better than any team can expect or even hope for.

Offense is good!!! I agree man. I also agree the d need to switch it up.

I guess i just want to stomp teams more than play a competitive game. I think we deserve it as seahawks fans and the team too. We are literally 4 and 0, but I bet we wont be first in power rankings. Even in 2013 we werent rated that high until someone finally understood russ was more than just a qb with less height.

AgentDib

Reaction score
mistaowen":2cvlqq1s said:
Fitz missed badly on a few passes, some should have been picked. Other than that he had a relatively easy time making plays.
Those aren't separate things; you're describing the exact tradeoff that comes with high volume passing. Lots of them will be placed accurately and tough to defend, but a few of them will be off the mark. If we can keep stuff in front of us like we did today, then those misses and interceptions will keep coming and force turnovers, punts and field goals.

The reason why last week was a defensive train wreck in comparison is because the defense didn't limit the explosive plays which led to numerous TDs. They did a much better job today at that, and yes with this sample size it could easily be due to the weaker opponent.

If we also give up 400 passing yards to Minnesota but manage to keep everything in front of us and shut down the running game then I will feel pretty good about our chances just like this weekend.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
AgentDib":soze28ed said:
mistaowen":soze28ed said:
Fitz missed badly on a few passes, some should have been picked. Other than that he had a relatively easy time making plays.
Those aren't separate things; you're describing the exact tradeoff that comes with high volume passing. Lots of them will be placed accurately and tough to defend, but a few of them will be off the mark. If we can keep stuff in front of us like we did today, then those misses and interceptions will keep coming and force turnovers, punts and field goals.

The reason why last week was a defensive train wreck in comparison is because the defense didn't limit the explosive plays which led to numerous TDs. They did a much better job today at that, and yes with this sample size it could easily be due to the weaker opponent.

If we also give up 400 passing yards to Minnesota but manage to keep everything in front of us and shut down the running game then I will feel pretty good about our chances just like this weekend.

I don't think I will. Dalvin cook is great, but the vikings are good period when they turn it on defensively and offensively. Ecspecially when they plays us. I wouldnt be surprised if we play em down instead of turning it on ourselves and just blow them out like we can with the talent we have.

AgentDib

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":307sb4cp said:
I don't think I will. Dalvin cook is great, but the vikings are good period when they turn it on defensively and offensively. Ecspecially when they plays us. I wouldnt be surprised if we play em down instead of turning it on ourselves and just blow them out like we can with the talent we have.
The Vikings have some very good pieces. They have the best safety duo in the NFL right now, a top notch TE room with Rudolph and Smith, a top 5 WR overall in Adam Thielen and I liked Justin Jefferson a lot in the draft this year. However, the Seahawks that we have been watching this season are the stronger team, largely because Russ is outplaying Cousins. I imagine we can agree on that so far.

The way that we can take advantage of Cousins struggling is to shut down the running game, limit the explosive plays, and then force Kirk to throw it for a bunch of short gains to move the ball down the field. If we do that then he'll get a bunch of passing yards and some people here will get riled up, but we'll also get plenty of chances to get the ball back. Every QB misses throws and Kirk has been missing more than his fair share so far this season. I also like what our defense has been doing in the red zone this season when the field shrinks and their poor coverage becomes less of a liability, so I expect them to continue through with some timely red zone stops.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":3t1ha7wk said:
TypeSly":3t1ha7wk said:

Where are you getting the run stats from? That surprised me and when I looked it up I see something different. The 3.4 per carry stat actually puts them near the top.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/de ... 20/reg/all

If there's one thing the team is doing better so far this year is getting picks with 6, 2nd in the league. 16 all last year so they are head of that pace. Of course more picks could be the result of more volume of passes attempted against the D

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/de ... 20/reg/all

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The general rule is things are rarely as good as you hope or bad as you fear.

We could not stop this team outside of the RZ but we did get a few INTs. However, against a QB that is prone to them.

The challenge here is that the whole goal is not to win the most games in the regular season (especially this year!). It is to be positioned to go farther in the playoffs than we have done since the SB loss.

Right now, against a playoff team, it does not look like we could stop a team from coming back to take the lead if we needed it to win the game. We certainly could not win a close game where the other team has to come back to score a FG in the waning seconds.

But we have one of the better offenses in the league. So we don't need a great defense, or even a very good one. We just need it not to be terrible right?

The problem is that Carroll has a tendency to get the lead and start coasting. That is going to be a problem if the other team is good enough to come back to score a FG or TD to take the lead back.

Even worse if Pete reverts to PeteBall in the playoffs.

We need to see if stiffening in the RZ is more us playing Miami or not. And we need to see if getting our secondary back is going to change things. Dunbar is not Flowers. So that is a positive. Though he was giving up plenty of soft stuff before he went out too. And not sure if expecting 100% healthy roster is reasonable when everyone is getting injured this year.

This IS a horrible defense. But it did not give up TDs and it did force several TOs.

2 games will tell us where we are: Vikings & Bills. How this defense performs against them will say a lot about what we can expect from this team in the playoffs.

StoneCold

Reaction score
AgentDib":13p2m20j said:
mistaowen":13p2m20j said:

Agree with DIB. We are not getting off the field on 3rd down, but we're making them go 15 plays to score, and we didn't give up the big play. If we can keep this up, I see chances for real improvement week to week. Small steps.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Right now it's 27 PPG allowed, last year it was just under 25. There's usually a lot of higher scores earlier in the season across the league.

If they can get under 22 by the end of the season they're in a good spot to murder other teams. If it stays high games are heavily going to depend on who has the ball last possession. We're in for a fun regular seasons (so long as it continues to exist). Sitting at 4-0 with the whole season ahead gives you time to work it, and these guys need to continue to get a lot more working.