According to NFL.com we have a bottom 30 draft...?

AgentDib

Reaction score
We were ranked the 7th best according to consensus grades, but I agree that doesn't matter - at all.

This year the mock community was wrong in that they expected the players we drafted to go earlier than where we took them, and when they are wrong in that direction then they give a good grade. If they were wrong in the other direction then they've give us a bad grade and it still wouldn't mean anything yet.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think this grade has got to be factoring in the Jamal and Russ trades. It doesn't mention the Jamal trade, but that grade is pure silliness.

FWIW: it's coming from a guy that said he ignored 2022 mock drafts that didn't have three QBs going in the first round. He isn't very good at his job.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Draft grades mean literally nothing beyond A+ means "they drafted all my faves".
Didn't some experts give 2012 an actual F?

toffee

Reaction score
We needed a D- average and a F from bleach report. Last time we had that we won the Superbowl one year after the draft with players from that draft.

Got to have those D- and F

James in PA

Reaction score
Even Cowherd, who always rips the Seahawks, gave us an A. He said he can clearly see the Hawks have a plan to build a foundation and get the QB next year. We will have the draft capital along with a lot of cap space. He loved the Walker pick too. Go figure.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Here attached is a perspective that disagrees with the initial bottom 30 assessment; naturally the views of various draft 'experts conflict and beauty is often in the eyes of the beholder there is much to agree with and some things to disagree with in this article. I just don't agree about the QBs and clearly neither did the Seahawks FO.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Kiper gave them a B+ which I think is about right. I wish they would have grabbed Ojabo instead of Walker at 41 and drafted Haskins at 109 but that's the maize glasses talking.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I still give the team a solid A as the draft had no players I wouldn't have drafted.

If the team had somehow acquired another 2nd round pick I'm with you on Ojabo for pure value going forward, even if he doesn't play a down this season. However, the FO may know more about the true status of Carson which makes the Walker pick more necessary, Haskins clearly was not seen to be as good a pick for them at RB than Walker.

nategreat

Reaction score
That grader is an idiot. If a C grade is average, as is the standard, how can the 3 worst teams tie for a C+, which would incinuate a better than average score in and of itself? Completely moronic logic, I would enjoy seeing his own report cards because there's no way he passed his classes, much less graduated middle school. 🤣

BigMeach

Reaction score
Most draft grades I've seen go something like this:

"Seahawks: C+
The Seahawks drafted some really good players this year at positions of need. But they didn't fill the one position they need most of all, QB. Thus, they suck."

Very extensive analysis, clearly...

Boohman14

Reaction score
Now that Wilson's gone the 'Hawks are that irrelevant Southern Alaska team to the media. If we'd just sign Kaperdoodle we'd be relevant again.
Draft grades are just fun meaningless exercise. You don't know how impactful a draft class is until usually 3 seasons after. Plus you can't predict injuries.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Just the way I like it, under the radar.
Let everyone else draft the GOAT. We've been there, done that.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't get too hung up on draft grades.

The only thing I didn't like about this year's draft was spending one of our #2's on a running back. They're two down players that are subject to injury, and good ones can be found on the 3rd day of the draft. However, I do think that Walker was a value selection, and if was a given that we were going to spend such a high pick on a RB, he seems to have been the best one available at that spot.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m pretty negative with this front office but I was fine with this draft. I do think we should have held off on the RB position until later but as to players chosen i didnt see any overdrafts. I’d give us a B or so.

sutz

Reaction score
Draft grades are pretty meaningless so soon after. Talking heads suffer no consequences for being wrong, so they type out BS, and the more controversial it sounds the more clicks it gets. $$$$$

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The "experts" aren't experts because of their (dime a dozen) football knowledge, they are "experts" because of their ability to conversationally polarize. It is what it is.

To rationally grade a draft, one has to come from the perspective of understanding what each team is trying to build. You can then grade how the draft fit that theme, while ignoring the idiotic "best player available" grading. We all know how frequently "BPA's" get cut before the regular season.

The question should be, how did the selections fit into the theme of what the team is trying to build.

Unfortunately, the Hawks are a victim of building a '70's era team, in a completely different era. When grading their draft using the vision of a generic, 2020's, spread offense influenced, high passing yardage team, their draft always comes up short. Of course it would. That isn't what they are drafting for.

Whether a '70s era team can have success in the current NFL is another argument entirely. A draft grade should be given based on how closely they drafted for the team they have envisioned, not for whether that vision can be successful. .

pmedic920

Reaction score
Personally I was happier about this draft than any in several years.

IMOH, initial draft grades are silly, generally takes a season or two to get an idea of what you actually got.