Al Woods is heading back to Seattle // 1-year/$3M

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting addition!

Had not even thought of him when the Reed situation hit the fan, sneaky good add. Woods played well for the team before his year off, and although older is an absolute immovable force inside that opponents can’t blow off his spot while he is in run D. I’m sure with a season to get rested up and everything rehabbed he’s refreshed and ready to do his thing. The team has his medical records on file and he had to have been cleared when he left in FA, but then didn’t play last year.

I like this addition, not a flash guy but steady and reliable. :2thumbs:

sutz

Reaction score
jammerhawk":264zwawe said:
Interesting addition!

Had not even thought of him when the Reed situation hit the fan, sneaky good add. Woods played well for the team before his year off, and although older is an absolute immovable force inside that opponents can’t blow off his spot while he is in run D. I’m sure with a season to get rested up and everything rehabbed he’s refreshed and ready to do his thing. The team has his medical records on file and he had to have been cleared when he left in FA, but then didn’t play last year.

Woods, Ford, Mone on the goal line. Is anybody getting through between the tackles? :twisted:

nwHawk

Reaction score
I'd like to replace Green with Geno Atkins. Not sure if it was possible, but I think that's one last change that would push this defensive line to a lethal status going into next season.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
jammerhawk":m5o6nwsg said:
Interesting addition!

I don't know how sneaky it is but I really like this signing. He is a powerhouse that might make us forget about Reed. Just hope he keeps it clean. I really regretted letting him go to the Jags, but that was a price war we couldn't afford to fight. Woods is a beast!

kf3339

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1m5sgg9z said:
They didn’t break the bank for Woods but not sure if he immediately improves the run defense. They weren’t all that much better in 2019 with him. https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/12/...-run-defense-worst-nfl-statistics-2019-season

He wasn't a starter on our D-Line. He made plays when in the game. Several goal line stops that were critical that year. No one is expecting him to start on the line, but be in the rotation as last time. He sure as H*&ll doesn't hurt our line play.

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2qku2edg said:
They didn’t break the bank for Woods but not sure if he immediately improves the run defense. They weren’t all that much better in 2019 with him. https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/12/...-run-defense-worst-nfl-statistics-2019-season

A quote from the linked article above .....................
What I do know is that Jarran Reed, Jadeveon Clowney, Ziggy Ansah, Al Woods, and Quinton Jefferson are all unrestricted free agents this offseason. We could be looking at a very different defensive line in 2020, and perhaps it may be welcomed.

........................................... I find it interesting that for 2021 they passed on bringing back all those brand names but chose the proven blue collar run stopper.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":2aavnlec said:
hawkfan68":2aavnlec said:

What I do know is that Jarran Reed, Jadeveon Clowney, Ziggy Ansah, Al Woods, and Quinton Jefferson are all unrestricted free agents this offseason. We could be looking at a very different defensive line in 2020, and perhaps it may be welcomed.

........................................... I find it interesting that for 2021 they passed on bringing back all those brand names but chose the proven blue collar run stopper.

Everyone knows that Clowney, Ansah, Reed, and Jefferson would cost too much. Therefore that probably factored in why they aren't being considered thus far. If there was no salary cap involved, maybe they would have considered bringing them back or a least keeping them (in the case of Reed). If they had money do you believe they would be in the mix for a 34 year old defensive tackle with all the other options out there? I surely don't think so.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kf3339":3dlbebcr said:
hawkfan68":3dlbebcr said:

He wasn't a starter on our D-Line. He made plays when in the game. Several goal line stops that were critical that year. No one is expecting him to start on the line, but be in the rotation as last time. He sure as H*&ll doesn't hurt our line play.

Therein lies the problem in my opinion. I'm not sold on Mone. Ford yes. But the rest of the DT rotation is meh, IMO. Woods would have to play more than he did in 2019. Being a year removed and older will impact his effectiveness especially if he has to play more. Reed had played 74% pct of plays on defense. Need to find someone to replace that. Poona Ford played 58%. So Reed and Ford were on the field together over half the time. Ford technically isn't replacing Reed.

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":297fwgxz said:
Jville":297fwgxz said:
hawkfan68":297fwgxz said:

Everyone knows that Clowney, Ansah, Reed, and Jefferson would cost too much. Therefore that probably factored in why they aren't being considered thus far. If there was no salary cap involved, maybe they would have considered bringing them back or a least keeping them (in the case of Reed). If they had money do you believe they would be in the mix for a 34 year old defensive tackle with all the other options out there? I surely don't think so.

I was commenting on the link provided. Surely your not claiming that Woods and Woods alone was solely responsible for run defense slippage and the other four had no accountability with regards to stopping the run. Or are you? Are brand names entitled to some kind of immunity from criticism? Was Woods and Woods alone the fall guy for 2019?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":2m6mla92 said:
hawkfan68":2m6mla92 said:
Jville":2m6mla92 said:
hawkfan68":2m6mla92 said:

Surely your not claiming that Woods and Woods alone was solely responsible for run defense slippage and the other four had no accountability with regards to stopping the run. Or are you? Are brand names entitled to some kind of immunity from criticism? Was Woods and Woods alone the fall guy for 2019?

That was not said nor implied. All that I had said is that Woods was part of the defense that was one of the worst run defenses in the league. So his signing is not that exciting (at least to me).They brought back Woods because they were able to get him cheap and they are tight against the salary cap.

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":200p9ptr said:
Jville":200p9ptr said:
hawkfan68":200p9ptr said:
Jville":200p9ptr said:

Surely your not claiming that Woods and Woods alone was solely responsible for run defense slippage and the other four had no accountability with regards to stopping the run. Or are you? Are brand names entitled to some kind of immunity from criticism? Was Woods and Woods alone the fall guy for 2019?

That was not said nor implied. All that I had said is that Woods was part of the defense that was one of the worst run defenses in the league. So his signing is not that exciting (at least to me).They brought back Woods because they were able to get him cheap and they are tight against the salary cap.

Understood and that's fine. I was just pointing out that there were many other team mates with run stopping responsibilities that disappointed in 2019. If anything, I doubt Woods man handling demonstrations were the root of any 2019 slippage.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":27ko7sui said:
hawkfan68":27ko7sui said:
Jville":27ko7sui said:
hawkfan68":27ko7sui said:

Understood and that's fine. I was just pointing out that there were many other team mates with run stopping responsibilities that disappointed in 2019. If anything, I doubt Woods man handling demonstrations were the root of any 2019 slippage.

Sorry for the confusion on that. Al Woods is a Seahawk and I hope he has a quality year. It only would help the Seahawks.

Latest posts