Aldon Smith Released

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3fu62api said:
I doubt that is so. More likely he got drunk or was up to some other mischief that caused the team concern that he was not being sincere in avoiding substances.
I didn’t call him “All Dumb” when he was a Niner for no reason.
Million dollar talent, 10 cent head.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This sends a message to all the other players. "Your talent level doesn't matter, violate team rules, and you're gone!"

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I guess.

You might want to look up the stuff Charles Haley did when he was a 49er.

You could also argue that he was the difference between the 49ers going to SBs and the Cowboys.

If you can rush the passer in this league, you should be able to do whatever you want short of dogfighting.

If this is about practice that is disappointing.

We needed him.

It wouldn't matter to me if he was a serial arsonist on weekends as long as he put up double digit sack #s and had a high pressure rate.

Disappointing. I get why they did it. But they had to know that is part of the price for bringing him in. Still probably worth it.

Let's hope we don't end up missing him too much.

flv

Reaction score
Jville":1ihe9rqz said:
Per multiple sources, Smith violated the Seahawks trust in unspecified ways and his release is not directly tied to his upcoming arraignment in Louisiana for second degree battery charges. Team brass and the player did everything they could to try to address the situation, but ultimately, there wasn't a path forward for them to make things work and when Smith informed the team he wouldn't practice on Wednesday, frustrations boiled over and the team opted to cut ties with him quickly.

[urltargetblank]https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/seahawks-released-aldon-smith-due-to-breach-of-trust[/urltargetblank]
That's probably the most positive thing that could have been said so if true it's good to hear. I hope Smith isn't in further legal or substance trouble and that this is just a parting of the ways, but I wouldn't bet against @jammerhawk being correct.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":15uf66bw said:
I guess.

You could also argue that he was the difference between the 49ers going to SBs and the Cowboys.

If you can rush the passer in this league, you should be able to do whatever you want short of dogfighting.

We needed him.

It wouldn't matter to me if he was a serial arsonist on weekends as long as he put up double digit sack #s and had a high pressure rate.

Disappointing. I get why they did it. But they had to know that is part of the price for bringing him in. Still probably worth it.

Needed him? Ehh...stretch. We will be fine without him. Put Taylor, Robinson, Green and Hyder on the line where
they are supposed to play and it's no problem. Did well last year without half the guys I just listed.

Oh forgot about Dunlap. Only helps my argument but...

keasley45

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":te6ge2tp said:
I guess.

We needed him.

I dont know. I hear you on the importance of providing some space for the more questionable antics of star players to be accepted in exchange for the benefit they bring. I get that. But I also know that although the hawks are a team that embraces 'characters' and celebrates the sometimes abrasive moments those players might bring, they are even more so about character. And I don't fault them for that at all. They stand on that principle and with few exceptions have been willing to walk from people who they thought might be cancerous to the overall mental makeup or Outlook of the team. They are as much about building a winning life culture as they are a winning football culture. That's why you see them taking flyers on guys who others have passed up and in many cases get unexpected contributions from them because they've been allowed an opportunity to flourish. The team is literally built on motivation, self determination, brotherhood, and drive in a way that I don't think any other has ever been.

And that's something tonbe upheld and celebrated well beyond the x's and o's.

And don't discount the message it sends to the young players... the second chance guys - that Pete and the FO is willing to bet on them over a generational talent like Aldon. That the coaches feel comfortable leaning on them rather than putting up with someone, regardless of how good they are, that violates the code or brotherhood. That's powerful stuff

There isn't a staff in the NFL more willing to genuinely HELP a player who's come on hard times to find himself again. If they say the bridge is burned, then I say let it burn.

Frank12

Reaction score
I real believed Smith stayed on the roster as long as he did because the team was hoping to get the arraignment pushed back again but that didn't happen which means Smith wont be available that's definitely a bummer and a hit to our passrush plans for the season.. it's a shame this man can't get his life together just wasted talent at this point I don't believe we'll ever see Smith in the NFL again..

Frank12

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":t4wnt9ju said:

I believe you're wrong on this every player and coach plus staff members should be held accountable for their action on & off the field, no one player or players deserves the right to be free of accountability.