Seahawks' Smith 'hurt' by MNF backup role

Mizak

Reaction score

RENTON, Wash. -- Geno Smith said he was hurt by the Seattle Seahawks' decision to not start him Monday night against the Philadelphia Eagles, but happy for Drew Lock, who helped snap their four-game losing streak by throwing the winning touchdown in the final minute.

As for whether Smith will start Sunday against the Tennessee Titans in Nashville after missing the past two games with a groin injury?

"I would hope so," he said Thursday.

Geno should understand Carroll’s decision.

renofox

Reaction score

RENTON, Wash. -- Geno Smith said he was hurt by the Seattle Seahawks' decision to not start him Monday night against the Philadelphia Eagles, but happy for Drew Lock, who helped snap their four-game losing streak by throwing the winning touchdown in the final minute.

As for whether Smith will start Sunday against the Tennessee Titans in Nashville after missing the past two games with a groin injury?

"I would hope so," he said Thursday.

Geno should understand Carroll’s decision.
I'm sure he does understand it, but being hurt is a normal human reaction to the situation.

It would probably be better to keep it out of the media, but still a minor mistake with no real consequences.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I don’t blame him one bit. I said this Monday pregame and my thoughts haven’t changed. If Geno is active he should start the game. If he can’t be healthy enough to start sit him and activate someone else.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He gave it a shot, which is what I'd want out of any competitor at QB. You need a guy who wants the ball.

Yes, Russell Wilson did the same thing and it was terrible. But I wouldn't begrudge a player for wanting the ball, I'd begrudge them for being too injured to be good after posting an entire social media campaign about how superhuman their healing was. Getting off-topic, but...

Yeah. I'm glad he gave it a shot, and I'm glad Pete held him out because if Pete held him out, he had a reason to.

sutz

Reaction score
Much ado about nothing IMO. Any player would be "hurt" in that situation. Smith was celebrating along with everybody else when they logged the W. He's not a locker room cancer.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Yep anyone with heart would wanna play but think Pete learned his lesson after Wilson played hurt and looked like hot garbage. It did not have anything to do with Geno being looked over for Lock..if it did then Lock would be playing this week.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yeah this whole last couple weeks of Geno's sorta groin issue and Lock playing doesn't quite smell right.

Both he and Lock have always been forthcoming with honest answers. So the fact that both of them have now said they didn't really know what was going on with either of their roles, starting, not starting? Makes for some confusing context and possible underlying issues going with Pete and the direction he thinks the team needs to go.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Yeah this whole last couple weeks of Geno's sorta groin issue and Lock playing doesn't quite smell right.

Both he and Lock have always been forthcoming with honest answers. So the fact that both of them have now said they didn't really know what was going on with either of their roles, starting, not starting? Makes for some confusing context and possible underlying issues going with Pete and the direction he thinks the team needs to go.
So what you're saying is....QB CONTROVERSY?!?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score

I don't think it's that crazy. Drew got a lot (some reporting says the majority?) of 1st Team reps leading to the game.

Pete had pretty much planned on Drew but Geno started to look healthier than expected, so Pete starts second guessing and in the end decided the benefit of not rocking the boat and giving Geno an extra week off outweighed putting his starting QB in last second.

I think it speaks more to Pete's general belief in Drew and not some larger issue.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think it's that crazy. Drew got a lot (some reporting says the majority?) of 1st Team reps leading to the game.

Pete had pretty much planned on Drew but Geno started to look healthier than expected, so Pete starts second guessing and in the end decided the benefit of not rocking the boat and giving Geno an extra week off outweighed putting his starting QB in last second.

I think it speaks more to Pete's general belief in Drew and not some larger issue.

Lock didn't get most of the reps last week, Geno did......and the fact that he told Lisa Salter in his post game national interview when asked when he know he was starting? He said "yeah there's a long story going into that one..........."

IMO even Pete's unsure of the direction he wants these last games to go in not sure if Geno's the QB of the future, or if he needs to ride it out with Lock. And when Geno's said twice now this week that his groin feels the same as it did last Friday and Saturday, yet now he's playing?

Something's not right.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Lock didn't get most of the reps last week, Geno did......and the fact that he told Lisa Salter in his post game national interview when asked when he know he was starting? He said "yeah there's a long story going into that one..........."

IMO even Pete's unsure of the direction he wants these last games to go in not sure if Geno's the QB of the future, or if he needs to ride it out with Lock. And when Geno's said twice now this week that his groin feels the same as it did last Friday and Saturday, yet now he's playing?

Something's not right.
The article this thread is about literally says Lock got all the first team reps going into the Eagles game, Pete already said Geno's starting if healthy for Tennessee, and all reports out of Seahawks practice this week indicate Geno starting as well.

I'm just not seeing it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The article this thread is about literally says Lock got all the first team reps going into the Eagles game, Pete already said Geno's starting if healthy for Tennessee, and all reports out of Seahawks practice this week indicate Geno starting as well.

I'm just not seeing it.

The News Tribune reported last week that Geno was "hoppin" during practice, looks good and is on track to start against Philly............and the reps were "mixed." I assume that means at least 50/50.

Then he shows up, looks good in pre-game warmups. But then doesn't play.......and says he feels the same this week as he did last.

So yeah, all you guys trying to explain away a very confusing last week doesn't work for me. Any other season with the playoffs on the line? You sure as hell don't bench your starting QB in the biggest game of the year on MNF without a clear explanation, and both Geno and Drew being vague and coy about the whole thing only adds fuel to the fire.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
🤣 I wonder if he would still feel that way had Horsecock Lock not come through with the win.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
One of the points that made these last two games interesting (for me) to watch, was seeing Drew Lock get a chance to play.
I'm fine with Drew Lock at QB with his flatter trajectory. Drew has the arm strength that Geno will never have.

keasley45

Reaction score

I dont see that at all. If they played Geno and he aggrevated his injury, we lose him for an extended period down the stretch when we need him most.

I think it was as simple as that.