ALDS - Seattle Mariners at Houston Astros Oct 11-17

Chapow

Reaction score
This bullpen has fallen off a cliff.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Servais clearly doesn’t trust anyone in the pen. Went back to an already overused Munoz.

Astros are just the better team, but we have definitely closed the gap. The goal next season should be to compete with them for the division. We have accomplished our goal already, to make the playoffs.

TheLost

Reaction score
Servais clearly doesn’t trust anyone in the pen. Went back to an already overused Munoz.

Astros are just the better team, but we have definitely closed the gap. The goal next season should be to compete with them for the division. We have accomplished our goal already, to make the playoffs.
He trusted Robby Ray 2 days ago to get one out with a 10.97 ERA against Houston, I do not trust Servais to make any decisions after that.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
He trusted Robby Ray 2 days ago to get one out with a 10.97 ERA against Houston, I do not trust Servais to make any decisions after that.

Luis Castillo our best pitcher gave up a HR to him too, sometimes you just can’t beat a great player.

I agree that Servais made a mistake, but it’s not all on Ray. Let’s not forget Sewald and Munoz did awful in that game.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Why even pitch to Alvarez there in the 6th. Rookie playoff managers make rookie mistakes. Simple as. Also why even bring Munoz in? He's burnt out and they didnt have the lead. Sit him so we can have him full rest on Saturday. Bad managing all series. Kirby please get us a win our coaching staff doesn't seem to care.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Why even pitch to Alvarez there in the 6th. Rookie playoff managers make rookie mistakes. Simple as.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We walked him in the 9th, then Bregman drove in a run.

Also, I'm not that upset letting our best pitcher give it a go against him.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We walked him in the 9th, then Bregman drove in a run.

Also, I'm not that upset letting our best pitcher give it a go against him.
LOL. Yeah, after Houston already had taken the lead. That move should have already been made in the 6th. That's the point. SS messed up again it's ok to admit it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Luis Castillo our best pitcher gave up a HR to him too, sometimes you just can’t beat a great player.

I agree that Servais made a mistake, but it’s not all on Ray. Let’s not forget Sewald and Munoz did awful in that game.
IDK, but I think he let up.. did you see his reaction when they didn't catch that tweener pop up? I actuall thought that julio had a chance if he dived for itl

Chapow

Reaction score

Fire Servais then?

The guy that managed this team to back-to-back 90 wins seasons, and the playoffs for the first time in 21 years?

Look, @Hawk-Lock is right. The Astros are just straight up a better team. Their pitching is as good, if not better, than ours, and their offense is way better than ours. They're the best team in the AL and the 2nd best team in MLB behind the Dodgers. It would've been a huge upset if the M's somehow managed to win this series.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Fire Servais then?

The guy that managed this team to back-to-back 90 wins seasons, and the playoffs for the first time in 21 years?

Look, @Hawk-Lock is right. The Astros are just straight up a better team. Their pitching is as good, if not better, than ours, and their offense is way better than ours. They're the best team in the AL and the 2nd best team in MLB behind the Dodgers. It would've been a huge upset if the M's somehow managed to win this series.
They're better than the Dodgers. If Houston doesnt win the world series i will laugh so hard. Altuve doesnt even have a hit yet in the ALDS and theyre playing almost unbeatable.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Jerry needs to be writing a shopping list. Bullpen was doo doo this series. Need to get some better dudes. Also a real bonafide closer with playoff experience. Sewald isn't it, Munoz isn't it. Sewald completely collapsed in both playoff appearances. Starting pitching for Seattle was great, except for Robbie.

We have good pitching, we need excellent pitching though to win against this competition. Maybe Kirby, Walter, and Castillo can work some mojo magic but that's a slim chance. Even if they do that bullpen isn't holding down any lead they'd possibly have.

Chapow

Reaction score
Jerry needs to be writing a shopping list. Bullpen was doo doo this series. Need to get some better dudes. Also a real bonafide closer with playoff experience. Sewald isn't it, Munoz isn't it. Sewald completely collapsed in both playoff appearances. Starting pitching for Seattle was great, except for Robbie.

We have good pitching, we need excellent pitching though to win against this competition. Maybe Kirby, Walter, and Castillo can work some mojo magic but that's a slim chance. Even if they do that bullpen isn't holding down any lead they'd possibly have.

They were one of the best bullpens in baseball over the course of the regular season and a big part of the reason why this team made the playoffs. I don't think anyone could have predicted they'd shit the bed this badly in the post season. It's just really unfortunate that they've unravelled so late in the season when it's too late to do anything about it.

And I wholeheartedly agree that an experienced shut down closer should be near the top of the off season shopping list.

Bobblehead

Reaction score

bullpen is good.. bullpen is inexperienced. I think if they had a year, they will be shutdown.

Chapow

Reaction score
They're better than the Dodgers. If Houston doesnt win the world series i will laugh so hard. Altuve doesnt even have a hit yet in the ALDS and theyre playing almost unbeatable.

So you're saying they're the best team in MLB then? But at the same time criticizing every decision Servais makes that doesn't work out?

Have you considered that maybe the reason those moves didn't work out is because the Astros are just that good, and not necessarily because Servais is just some bumbling moron?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
So you're saying they're the best team in MLB then? But at the same time criticizing every decision Servais makes that doesn't work out?

Have you considered that maybe the reason those moves didn't work out is because the Astros are just that good, and not necessarily because Servais is just some bumbling moron?
Not sure it’s an either, or, in this situation, it’s both.
Houston is that good, and SS was flat out a moron for bring in Ray in that situation. I knew what was going to happen before Ray threw one pitch.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Think they could add a true save guy to the pen as well as a lefty.

What sucks is we are paying Ray like an ace and he will likely be our #4 starter next season.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Yes. I honestly don't consider myself a baseball expert btw but I don't get these moves. Forget the idea of bringing in Ray as your closer for one sec, what was the point in pulling Gilbert at 84 pitches with a 4 run lead, but milking Castillo up past 100 pitches when HOU has the lead?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yes. I honestly don't consider myself a baseball expert btw but I don't get these moves. Forget the idea of bringing in Ray as your closer for one sec, what was the point in pulling Gilbert at 84 pitches with a 4 run lead, but milking Castillo up past 100 pitches when HOU has the lead?
My best answer is, analytics say that once guys see a pitcher three times, they hit that pitcher.

The difference is Luis is elite. Also Luis pitched two days after the pen imploded. Servais was in no rush to go to the pen. If the pen pitched like it had all season, maybe Servais yanks Luis a bit earlier. It was clear he was going to use Luis as long as he could.

Chapow

Reaction score

Gilbert typically pitches very well the first time through the lineup. Not as well, but still good the second time through the lineup. The 3rd time through the lineup, the opponent average jumps up to nearly .300. I would have to guess that's why Servais pulled him when he did. I would also guess that Servais left Castillo in as long as he did because after Sunday, and then Tuesday, he probably doesn't have much confidence in the pen anymore. Also, Castillo has a shit ton more experience at the major league level than Gilbert. It makes perfect sense that he would give Castillo a longer leash.