Any update on meeting?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
James in PA":3nouquyk said:
Jody: "Who the **** was most responsible for that Jamal Adams disaster of a trade?"

John: "Pete, you want to take this one?"

Pete: "That was all on me. I told John to do whatever it takes, at any cost. I thought he'd put us over the top."

Jody: "Oh, it was over the top all right. John, you now have final say in all player personnel. Pete, stick to cheerleading, mmm kay?"

I know Pete's the eternal glass half full optimist, but I wish he would be a little more honest with the press and media when it comes to getting real about bad trades, drafts, acquisitions, etc.

Adams trade is a perfect example. Most of us loved the trade when it went down, but be honest now. It didn't work, admit it. Stop blowing smoke up our butts about how you still love the trade.

Because if you Pete still think this was an amazing trade two years into it with a broken safety with his insane contract and loss of a top 10 pick now?

It's time to go bro. That's not good.

Mizak

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":4uwcm756 said:
They are reporting on ESPN right now that Pete will concede personnel decisions to the General Manager.

LTH will NOT be happy about this.

Jville

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":2xlt9tvu said:
They are reporting on ESPN right now that Pete will concede personnel decisions to the General Manager.

710 Seattle is describing it all as speculation off of a bullet point from a Jeremy Fowler article. Nothing on his twitter. No confirmation to be found anywhere else.

An exercise in pure speculation filling in for dead air.

James in PA

Reaction score
Yep this meeting could be taking place at this very moment or may not have taken place yet. So nobody knows squat. Everyone is just taking educated guesses so if they hit they can say they broke the story first. If Jody does demand that Pete no longer has final say over player personnel, who's to say Pete doesn't walk? Or maybe Pete the optimistic used car salesman convinces her this year was a total fluke and its status quo. Nobody really knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":2qnh500x said:

To be clear, this isn't totally accurate.

ESPN's report says "some in league circles" feel that he SHOULD do that. Wasn't a report about the actual organizational dynamics of the team.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DannyBKelly/status/1481402234944376838[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":17v7jvgc said:
vigilantgrrl":17v7jvgc said:

To be clear, this isn't totally accurate.

ESPN's report says "some in league circles" feel that he SHOULD do that. Wasn't a report about the actual organizational dynamics of the team.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DannyBKelly/status/1481402234944376838[/tweet]

Honestly these are the types of organizational changes that the media and fans wouldn't be privy to, or even know happened.

It's all kept internally.

How would we know Pete doesn't have control over personnel decisions anymore? Or any of these types of decisions? It's not like he or John are going to hold a presser saying it.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2r7ba8cv said:
James in PA":2r7ba8cv said:
Jody: "Who the **** was most responsible for that Jamal Adams disaster of a trade?"

Pete: "That was all on me. I told John to do whatever it takes, at any cost. I thought he'd put us over the top."

Jody: "Oh, it was over the top all right. John, you now have final say in all player personnel. Pete, stick to cheerleading, mmm kay?"

I know Pete's the eternal glass half full optimist, but I wish he would be a little more honest with the press and media when it comes to getting real about bad trades, drafts, acquisitions, etc.

Adams trade is a perfect example. Most of us loved the trade when it went down, but be honest now. It didn't work, admit it. Stop blowing smoke up our butts about how you still love the trade.

Because if you Pete still think this was an amazing trade two years into it with a broken safety with his insane contract and loss of a top 10 pick now?

How do you propose he do that without alienating the player? Even if you think, in hindsight, as the coach that maybe you overpaid in a trade, you aren't gonna publicly throw the player under the bus by stating so to the media. Even if the player is no longer on the roster would you do that. How do think that plays with other players around the league when you're trying to sign FAs? Why would you expect any coach to do that?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":2apvv774 said:
Sgt. Largent":2apvv774 said:
James in PA":2apvv774 said:

How do you propose he do that without alienating the player? Even if you think, in hindsight, as the coach that maybe you overpaid in a trade, you aren't gonna publicly throw the player under the bus by stating so to the media. Even if the player is no longer on the roster would you do that. How do think that plays with other players around the league when you're trying to sign FAs? Why would you expect any coach to do that?

You can be honest and still have your player's back without sounding like an annoying out of touch homer.

"We traded for Jamal for the long term, and even though he's had some injury setbacks we still believe in him and I know he's doing everything he can to get right and back on the field."

Not hard.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kv1n25j said:
OrangeGravy":2kv1n25j said:
Sgt. Largent":2kv1n25j said:
James in PA":2kv1n25j said:

You can be honest and still have your player's back without sounding like an annoying out of touch homer.

"We traded for Jamal for the long term, and even though he's had some injury setbacks we still believe in him and I know he's doing everything he can to get right and back on the field."

Not hard.

Sure, but that hypothetical quot doesn't address admitting that the trade didnt work, nor would it satisfy any fan wanting him to admit that. Such as you stated above.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If the ESPN rumor is true, it's not a good thing at all. A coach and GM should be working in tandem in making personnel decisions. Not taking one out of the equation. That's why I'm thinking it's bogus and mediots are trying to use as clickbait.

Pete is the VP of Football operations - personnel decisions are a part of his responsibility. They aren't operating in a vacuum. Pete and JS work together to make personnel decisions, always have. Ridiculous to think otherwise. If that wasn't the case, JS wouldn't have agreed to stay on as GM of the Seahawks.

xray

Reaction score
Yep ... they met somewhere in the Asian area of Seattle in an undisclosed parking garage at 4:27 Omaha time . Fact check that . :D

ryank24

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2coycv1x said:
Honestly these are the types of organizational changes that the media and fans wouldn't be privy to, or even know happened.

It's all kept internally.

How would we know Pete doesn't have control over personnel decisions anymore? Or any of these types of decisions? It's not like he or John are going to hold a presser saying it.

The only way I think it's possible to know that a change like that has happened, would be if John were promoted to President (or whatever title Pete currently holds), and Pete gave up that title. That would certainly be public knowledge if an organizational change like that happened, and that would be a clear indication that John is getting final say going forward.

If it's just an agreement behind closed doors that Pete will let John make decisions, then you're right that we would never hear about it.

KinesProf

Reaction score
In retrospect, I'm really not sure if we can have a fair assessment of JS so long as Pere has had the final say on all personnel decisions. Some moves really scream Pete: trading for other team's stars, Rashaad Penny, and swinging on McDowell; but some good moves really seem like Pete moves as well: Marshawn, Browner, Kam , Sherman, Maxwell, Frank, DK. Whereas guys like Wilson, Lockett, Lewis, Wagner feel very much like JS.

I say that to say that I think Pete should cede personnel decisions to John. And in fact, it's always been kind of arrogant of a football coach to think he knows more than someone who has worked their entire adult life in personnel.

Imo Pete losing the front office responsibilities and becoming more of a Saban-type coach would be a good thing. Set your culture of belief, positivity, teaching,helping people be at their best, atmosphere (things Pete is great at) and hire high end experienced coordinators, and let them do their job. I'll be disappointed if they don't land Fangio, Zimmer, Flores or Phillips as DC; and hire the OC with Russ having a say - maybe Nagy, maybe Pederson if he doesn't get a HC job.

Be the overseer Pete. Let talented people help you win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":5bm0ymcy said:
Sgt. Largent":5bm0ymcy said:
OrangeGravy":5bm0ymcy said:
Sgt. Largent":5bm0ymcy said:

Not hard.

Sure, but that hypothetical quot doesn't address admitting that the trade didnt work, nor would it satisfy any fan wanting him to admit that. Such as you stated above.

What I wrote would certainly satisfy me more then going on radio stations and calling it a "terrific trade" and "a fantastic get" after the dude's 2nd serious season ending injury.

Nothing I hate more than coaches, GM's and even players treating fans like we're idiots. Be honest.

justafan

Reaction score
hawkfan68":37501kac said:
If the ESPN rumor is true, it's not a good thing at all. A coach and GM should be working in tandem in making personnel decisions. Not taking one out of the equation. That's why I'm thinking it's bogus and mediots are trying to use as clickbait.

Pete is the VP of Football operations - personnel decisions are a part of his responsibility. They aren't operating in a vacuum. Pete and JS work together to make personnel decisions, always have. Ridiculous to think otherwise. If that wasn't the case, JS wouldn't have agreed to stay on as GM of the Seahawks.

Agree completely. Even if you switched titles I think the relationship stays the same. I would like to see more defined roles and responsibility but I think you have to break up the pair to do that.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27zdvpam said:
OrangeGravy":27zdvpam said:
Sgt. Largent":27zdvpam said:
OrangeGravy":27zdvpam said:

Not hard.

What I wrote would certainly satisfy me more then going on radio stations and calling it a "terrific trade" and "a fantastic get" after the dude's 2nd serious season ending injury.

Nothing I hate more than coaches, GM's and even players treating fans like we're idiots. Be honest.

But you know you're never gonna get 'honest' from any coach unless they've given up. Why would you waste the energy getting annoyed over something you know, you're never gonna get, from any coach?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ptmeh9o said:
OrangeGravy":2ptmeh9o said:
Sgt. Largent":2ptmeh9o said:
OrangeGravy":2ptmeh9o said:

Not hard.

To be fair, the vast majority of fans are idiots compared to athletes and others who are tied to sport. Being honest.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2whqor74 said:
OrangeGravy":2whqor74 said:
Sgt. Largent":2whqor74 said:
OrangeGravy":2whqor74 said:

Not hard.

What makes you think he is NOT being honest? You are making the assumption that JA is done. That he will not have an impact going forward. There are many things that affected his play this year that might have influenced how dominating he can be. When he comes back, and they get the corner situation worked out, it's going to open up the scheme so they can use him in different ways they were unable to do because of personnel issues.

I just think you guys need to be a little more patient, there is still upside.

was it a great trade? at this point it's really to early to tell...maybe it will flop I don't know but just like Penny we just got to be patient and see what happens.

LTH