Anyone else think the Vikings beat the 49ers?

Washington49er

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3u1vhupo said:
Says the guy who spends all his time on a Seahawks site. But hey, why even play the game? I mean, the 49ers are the greatest team in the history of the NFL. Nobody could POSSIBLY beat these guys.

Please reread the title of the thread, keyword being think.

My answer now that I have thought about it again is still NOPE!

Marvin49

Reaction score
94Smith":333byu33 said:
I watched a few Vikings games last night. Their offensive line seems fairly porous and they rely on a consistent running game and screen game to keep the chains moving. They do have the occasional explosive deep pass. I am really excited to have Dee Ford back on the field as I thought our D line looked unstoppable with him on the field. The key on defense is going to be stopping the run.

Defensively they do not give up a lot of yardage in the run game, but the YPC can be higher. I think we should be able to keep our run game productive in order to set up play action. The Seahawks down right ran it down their throats. The defensive line can generate pressure, but there is no "splash" player there. I think if we can eliminate turnovers we will have an advantage. When we played them last year in Minnesota, the offense had some key turnovers including a fumble on the 1 yard line. Their defense seems to generate turnovers

Levis should be lifting our defense, but Cousins showed he is immune to noise and obviously it will not be as load as Clink or the Superdome. 49ers have played better on the road this year than at home, much like the Seahawks, but I think the advantage in the number one seed is the week off to rest bodies and to get guys like Kwon alexander back.

I don't know, I say 49ers win this game 65% of the time. I could see us blowing them out if the defense plays like it used to and we stop the run. If Cousins is forced to 3rd and long and the pressure is like it was in the early season, it could be like the first Rams game.

I could see the 49ers losing if we have some big turnovers, they can run the ball consistently and they have a few big down field splash plays

Honestly, I think the biggest advantage of playing at home is not that crowd noise would be an issue for the other team, its that it WON'T be an issue for the Niners.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":2218lpyn said:
94Smith":2218lpyn said:
I watched a few Vikings games last night. Their offensive line seems fairly porous and they rely on a consistent running game and screen game to keep the chains moving. They do have the occasional explosive deep pass. I am really excited to have Dee Ford back on the field as I thought our D line looked unstoppable with him on the field. The key on defense is going to be stopping the run.

Defensively they do not give up a lot of yardage in the run game, but the YPC can be higher. I think we should be able to keep our run game productive in order to set up play action. The Seahawks down right ran it down their throats. The defensive line can generate pressure, but there is no "splash" player there. I think if we can eliminate turnovers we will have an advantage. When we played them last year in Minnesota, the offense had some key turnovers including a fumble on the 1 yard line. Their defense seems to generate turnovers

Levis should be lifting our defense, but Cousins showed he is immune to noise and obviously it will not be as load as Clink or the Superdome. 49ers have played better on the road this year than at home, much like the Seahawks, but I think the advantage in the number one seed is the week off to rest bodies and to get guys like Kwon alexander back.

I don't know, I say 49ers win this game 65% of the time. I could see us blowing them out if the defense plays like it used to and we stop the run. If Cousins is forced to 3rd and long and the pressure is like it was in the early season, it could be like the first Rams game.

I could see the 49ers losing if we have some big turnovers, they can run the ball consistently and they have a few big down field splash plays

Honestly, I think the biggest advantage of playing at home is not that crowd noise would be an issue for the other team, its that it WON'T be an issue for the Niners.

Not a huge advantage but its outside and on natural grass. Could be a disadvantage for a dome team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Noted.
I appreciate the confidence. But claiming that someone has NO CHANCE is just corny.
The opponent always has a chance, especially in the playoffs. The Vikings are a damn good team. If they were playing the Hawks IN SEATTLE this weekend, I would not only think they have a chance, but a very good chance.
And hey, if we can't give each other crap, it's just not as fun. Go Vikes

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3hnv8ewl said:
Noted.
I appreciate the confidence. But claiming that someone has NO CHANCE is just corny.
The opponent always has a chance, especially in the playoffs. The Vikings are a damn good team. If they were playing the Hawks IN SEATTLE this weekend, I would not only think they have a chance, but a very good chance.

Niners have all the advantages in this game...more rest, home game, etc, but that doesn't decide the winner.

Minn has a chance. A good one.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Kirk's monkey is off his back, and the Vikings as a whole are playing with house money. That in itself is dangerous, but a WR/TE corps of Theilen, Diggs, Rudolph and Dalvin Cook out of the backfield is scary for any team.

I do think the niners win a close game on Saturday, but it wont be easy. I could definitely see it being a one score final either way.

Washington49er

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1dmwxbaz said:
Noted.

I agree about giving each other crap but the problem is when the crap starts to fly and your side can't handle it then the troll accusation start coming out.

Never said theres no chance. Again the question was does anyone think the Vikes beat the 9ers. I think not.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if we're about to see a new Kirk Cousins. He finally got over the big game hump. He might walk in with swagger and confidence now in a way he never has before.

I confess I'm actually rather curious to see how the Vikings-49ers game unfolds. There are several different outcomes I can easily see happening.

Maulbert

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":32ued5gd said:
I can't help but wonder if we're about to see a new Kirk Cousins. He finally got over the big game hump. He might walk in with swagger and confidence now in a way he never has before.

I confess I'm actually rather curious to see how the Vikings-49ers game unfolds. There are several different outcomes I can easily see happening.

I'm really happy we've had the last game both weekends, it allows me to just relax and enjoy the other games.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":2vx1b2kg said:
RolandDeschain":2vx1b2kg said:

I'm really happy we've had the last game both weekends, it allows me to just relax and enjoy the other games.

I would rather have the first game or Saturday game to be honest. Because if we win we get 8 days to prepare, rest, recover from injuries and our opponent would get 7 plus have to travel one of those days. That's somewhat of an advantage if you ask me.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Washington49er":11u9u6jr said:
Marvin49":11u9u6jr said:
94Smith":11u9u6jr said:

Not a huge advantage but its outside and on natural grass. Could be a disadvantage for a dome team.

The 49ers fans are not that loud and they don't have a dome or a roof that was built to reflect sound like in Seattle. But not having to deal with that in a dome or some other stadium helps the 49ers. I don't think it's a huge disadvantage to the Vikings as our crowd can be pretty laid back and not loud and crazy. Just not having to deal with New Orleans or Minnesota dome or Seattle reflective sound helps us out in this playoffs some.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I think three things:

(1) Purely based on schemes and matchups I think the Vikings matchup pretty well with the 49ers. So, while I think the Packers are overall probably a more talented team than the Vikings, on a scheme and matchup basis I think the Vikings are better suited to beat the 49ers.

(2) I think people have been mistakenly overlooking the Vikings all year, and they just beat the Saints on the road in a very tough stadium. I think that is a deserved wake up call for the rest of the league.

(3) I think among Hawks fans there might be *SOME* element of wishful thinking in these suspiciously timed reconsiderations of the Vikings and Kirk Cousins. I've always thought that people generally underrate Kirk Cousins so I guess it kind of fun to see some opportunistic Cousins bandwagoners acknowledge that he doesn't suck for a couple days, but I'm also a little suspicious. :lol:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Any team that plays the Vikings should be plenty worried. Shoot, if it all lines up and the Hawks are hosting the Vikes next week? Hell yes I'll be plenty nervous. The Vikings are a hell of a football team, as are the Niners. And believe it or not, the Hawks are a damn good team.

94Smith

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2xrwq59h said:
And believe it or not, the Hawks are a damn good team.

I would rank the remaining NFC:

1) Hawks and Niners
2) Minnesota
3) Green Bay

ptisme

Reaction score
Think about this: The Packers and Seahawks fans will be rooting for the same team on Sunday (first game:)...
I think the niners front seven gonna roll the Vikings oline....

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
94Smith":1muwfkup said:
SoulfishHawk":1muwfkup said:
And believe it or not, the Hawks are a damn good team.

I would rank the remaining NFC:

1) Hawks and Niners
2) Minnesota
3) Green Bay

Rankings are really, really difficult and of course subjective. But I will give it a try.

1) 49ers - While we still have injuries and are in no way healthy we are actually starting to get some guys back. Some key guys to our defense especially when it was dominant and healthy at the beginning of the year. That and being the #1 seed, homfield advantage and not having to travel are a very big deal IMO.

2) Green Bay - Playing at Lambeau for every team but us potentially is tough. They are really good there. They are less injured than the Eagles. It will be a difficult game. Rodgers plays pretty well against the Seahawks. It won't be easy at all IMO. The NFL is a match up game. The Seahawks can win of course. But Green Bay usually plays well vs the Seahawks and having the game at home with some rest and way less beat up than the Eagles or the Seahawks for that matter could tell it's tale.

3) Seahawks - I would normally rank the Seahawks really high in this playoffs but they are so beat up and yes they can get past the Eagles who were also beat up. But now it gets harder and the NFL has no mercy. So normally and if reasonably healthy yes I would probably rank them that high. This team with the injuries? I'm not sure. I don't entirely disagree that the 49ers and Seahawks are potentially the best. It's just that the Seahawks are so banged up. A 4th and 5th string RB is really bad. Although Beast Mode has played pretty well IMO. They are still so heavily dependent on the pass. Russell Wilson is really good and DK has played great. Still that puts a lot of pressure on your team to be so unbalanced. I like Clowney a lot. But he is injured and there is not a huge amount of other elite pass rush at the moment. So I think it's more so that your team is so banged up for Seahawks fans that read this. It's not that I don't think you are good. I know you are good. You are beat up which is the concern.

4) Vikings - OK somebody has be #4. So the Vikings are here. I understand that they beat New Orleans and the defense is playing well. But they are also a bit banged up now and have to travel on a short week. I know Cousins had a good game but IMO it wasn't great. It was more the defense. But give him credit. He was 0 - 100 in big games career. Now he is 1 - 101 career in big game match ups. Good for him. I don't necessarily expect it to continue given his history. As much as anything the NFL is a match ups game. I don't think the Vikings are terrible. They are good. But Green Bay pretty routinely beats them over the years with Rodgers. You guys in Seattle beat them. With more of our defensive guys back and healthy and at home I think the 49ers can beat them. This is not to say I don't think they are a good team or can't win. It's just they have some match ups which aren't that great for them and I don't see them continuing to win and getting out of the NFC on some long miracle playoff run.