Can the Vikings upset the 49ers?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wow, good Crow this morning. Did NOT see that coming. They clearly needed to mention Deebo and and Williams being out about 98 times last night.
Um, Justin Jefferson was out too. Nicely done, Vikes. Just goes to show....you still gotta' play the games.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Just goes to show any given Sunday (or Monday). Love the parity this season. Everything is wide open. Go Hawks! Thanks Vikes!

I'll admit...

Love him or hate him Roger got it done. He's lobbied and demanded parity for a long time. Anyone can truly be beat by anyone in todays NFL. It wasn't like that in the NFL of my youth, the Stealers or Cowboys just didn't drop games to Arizona or creamsicle TB.

I swear though, with the some of the officiating I've seen lately, it still seems like there is a vested interest to keep the best revenue producers and fan favorites in the most advantageous positions.

With regard to the Niners...

I can't help but think of Pete's tilt the field maxim. Deebo is just a superlatively special football player. He has the intangibles that just make up for others' deficiencies. When he plays and he's healthy, I'm still not convinced there is a better team in the league. When he's out or below 90%, the Niners are vulnerable.

I'll tell you though, I've gone from "We will drop our two against SF, to, I think we might be able to steal one, to, we are going to split".

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Same, I recall growing up there was not much parity. You knew before the season who the dominant teams were going to be and they just didn't get beat by the inferior teams. Now, you kind of have to throw your hands up week-to-week. Anything can happen!

Oh, I have no doubt, zilch, nada....That the refs steer the game at times. That is a whole new thread for another day.

9ers are definitely vulnerable if any of their top players are out (Deebo, CMC, Trent, Warner, etc), seemingly more so than other teams at times. We lose DK? Bam. Rooks light it up. We seem to be better than them in that area, IMO.

This should be a fun season that goes down to the wire. I hope our O gets rolling and we can stay mostly healthy through the season.

rjdriver

Reaction score
9ers are definitely vulnerable if any of their top players are out (Deebo, CMC, Trent, Warner, etc), seemingly more so than other teams at times. We lose DK? Bam. Rooks light it up. We seem to be better than them in that area, IMO.
Great point...

I think it's a culture thing, something Pete excels at. Hell, how many teams could lose both their starting tackles and go in and beat Detroit like we did.

Hopefully, Hall can hold the "next man up, always compete" mantle as Nwosu, a very integral piece of our D, is done for the year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Totes ^
I was just surprised the 39ers players didn't float in mid-air to the stadium. The way the media worships them, why even play the games? They are the greatest team of all time, and Purdy is HOF bound.

Weadoption

Reaction score
ya you all won’t be laughing when the flaming sword of Gabriel is called down upon thy devilish grins
blasphemers of Purdy, i cast you out

rjdriver

Reaction score
ya you all won’t be laughing when the flaming sword of Gabriel is called down upon thy devilish grins
blasphemers of Purdy, i cast you out
It’s way too late bro …

The way we rip on Russell?? Jesus hates us for sure. We are all sons of perdition.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It’s way too late bro …

The way we rip on Russell?? Jesus hates us for sure. We are all sons of perdition.
Is that the infant baby Jesus or teenage Jesus or bearded Jesus? Ricky Bobby favors baby Jesus. Maybe if we disregard Ricky and aim a few prayers to bearded Jesus it would help the Hawks win the Ravens game? Pray like this... Aw Jesus, will somebody please break through and hit Lamar Jackson where he has a mild, mild concussion that knocks him out of the game?

olyfan63

Reaction score
I’m not disappointed in Purdy. Overall still had an ok game. That last pass was terrible though. I am more disappointed in wilks calling the blitz with no safety help at the last play of the half and the lack of sacks in this game. Could not get off the field. That was a hard fought L . Give credit to Cousins who played great and Minnesota
Realistically, the Niners have lost 2 games on fluke single plays. Vs. the Browns, the 49ers kicker shanked a chip shot FG, 28 yards or so, to let the Browns escape with a W. Against the Vikes, that half-time fluke TD pass vs. Zero blitz was the difference. Niners easily could be 7-1. Two fluke plays, two losses, and everything looks different. Yeah, they let teams hang around instead of putting them away, like the 49ers of the last two years would have, so there's that.

toffee

Reaction score
Realistically, the Niners have lost 2 games on fluke single plays. Vs. the Browns, the 49ers kicker shanked a chip shot FG, 28 yards or so, to let the Browns escape with a W. Against the Vikes, that half-time fluke TD pass vs. Zero blitz was the difference. Niners easily could be 7-1. Two fluke plays, two losses, and everything looks different. Yeah, they let teams hang around instead of putting them away, like the 49ers of the last two years would have, so there's that.
On the same note, Jamal's header was also somewhat of a fluke play too. Football God likes to move in mysterious ways.

olyfan63

Reaction score
On the same note, Jamal's header was also somewhat of a fluke play too. Football God likes to move in mysterious ways.
Massively fluke! The football gods giveth, and the football gods taketh away. And yet... the flawed puny humans involved *almost* always seem to play a role in attracting either the mercy... or the wrath... of those football gods.

* The Niners missed FG loss vs Cle... that's on the Niners Front Office for drafting a kicker in the 3rd round
* Niners loss to Vikings... that TD just before half... SF DC dials up a zero blitz, skinny puny human Vikings WR snatches ball away from beefier DB and runs for TD
* Jamal's header fluke Love INT... that's on Clint Hurtt for the defensive play call and Jamal for getting close enough to impact the play and Love for catching, not dropping, the popup.
* Recall Geno and the Hawks still had to go 57 yards for the game-winning score. Proving the football gods have a sense of humor, the Hawks winning TD was scored on a SCREEN play!!

"The Pick" in SB49 was my awakening to the non-trivial role the puny humans play in the seemingly arbitrary wickedness of the football gods. I mean, after that Kearse circus catch, how could the football gods turn on us so quickly and totally? The Hawks cut Browner, the Evil Hoodie snags him, and Browner plays a leading role in "The Pick", in the process eventually exposing every chink, flaw, and crack in the Seattle armor.

toffee

Reaction score
Massively fluke! The football gods giveth, and the football gods taketh away. And yet... the flawed puny humans involved *almost* always seem to play a role in attracting either the mercy... or the wrath... of those football gods.

* The Niners missed FG loss vs Cle... that's on the Niners Front Office for drafting a kicker in the 3rd round
* Niners loss to Vikings... that TD just before half... SF DC dials up a zero blitz, skinny puny human Vikings WR snatches ball away from beefier DB and runs for TD
* Jamal's header fluke Love INT... that's on Clint Hurtt for the defensive play call and Jamal for getting close enough to impact the play and Love for catching, not dropping, the popup.
* Recall Geno and the Hawks still had to go 57 yards for the game-winning score. Proving the football gods have a sense of humor, the Hawks winning TD was scored on a SCREEN play!!

"The Pick" in SB49 was my awakening to the non-trivial role the puny humans play in the seemingly arbitrary wickedness of the football gods. I mean, after that Kearse circus catch, how could the football gods turn on us so quickly and totally? The Hawks cut Browner, the Evil Hoodie snags him, and Browner plays a leading role in "The Pick", in the process eventually exposing every chink, flaw, and crack in the Seattle armor.
Very well said!!!

On Love's INT, it was not ike the ball was in Brown 5yards line, Geno and boys matched down the field for they TD, after they had been stopped multiple times before.