Are the 49ers Better than the Seahawks?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":r186j8qa said:
You would think these guys are already Super Bowl Champs :roll:

TBF I doubt that anybody beyond some Seahawks fans on a Seahawks board believes that.

The 9ers have been getting some side-servings of national shine for the past few days because they've been playing very well, and y'all love, love, love your resentments. :lol:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm gonna say no.

I define "better" as what kind of people are playing for each team. I have done psych evaluations on every player for each team, and have implemented a scoring system which takes data from the psych evaluation and factors in times when they've performed an act or exhibit a behavior that deserves merit or shame.

As a result, the Seahawks scored twice as many points as San Francisco. Our team is so much better.

Seymour

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3k437beq said:
SoulfishHawk":3k437beq said:
You would think these guys are already Super Bowl Champs :roll:

TBF I doubt that anybody beyond some Seahawks fans on a Seahawks board believes that.

The 9ers have been getting some side-servings of national shine for the past few days because they've been playing very well, and y'all love, love, love your resentments. :lol:

Truth.

I miss Hairbag and Krap.

:snack:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, that rivalry was a blast. Hating those two was fun, and they were the two best teams in football when they faced each other in the NFC Championship imo.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Agreed it was fun.

In all honesty though, I think the rivalry creates the hatred much more than the people who end up getting hated do.

With the benefit of hindsight, the reasons for why 9ers fans and Hawks fans convinced themselves their rivals were also despicable people are insane.

9ers fans convinced themselves that Carroll was a despicable person because of the way he chewed gum and Wilson was despicable because he believed some crazy stuff. Hawks fans convinced themselves Kaepernick was despicable person because he had a shoe collection and Harbaugh was a despicable person because he flailed around like a toddler on the sideline.

All to say that if we're fortunate enough to really get a true rivalry over a few years again, I have no doubt we'll all come up with wildly creative reasons to convince ourselves that we don't just hate our rival because their our rival, but also because of their "major character flaws" and "immorality." :lol: :2thumbs:

John63

Reaction score
blazen2392":1ocn94dh said:
John63":1ocn94dh said:
blazen2392":1ocn94dh said:
John63":1ocn94dh said:
You should reread it then. For me it was not better or not. It was better and it's not even close.

They are playing better on defense. They are not on offense or ST. The rankings shows us better in both. Anyone with eyes can see the difference in style in the way the teams play. We have a HC who wants close games. So we will not look like other teams. They have a better defense no doubt. But we have a better offense and ST. If all you care about is who has the better defense yeah okay. But it takes all 3 to win and we are better in 2 of the 3.

Lol you brush thier defense off like its nothing. They have the 2nd best defense in the NFL. The disparity between our defenses is a whole lot bigger than the disparity between our offense. They also have a more efficient run game and offensive line than we do. They DOMINATE time of possession. They are playing Pete ball at its finest. This is how our HC wants to win games. Pete wants ball control, TOP and defense. Our HC does not come into games intending to play ugly tight games. If anything our new style of football is uncomfortable for Pete. He has never wanted the QB to have this much reign in his offense.

What rankings are you looking at that has our team ranked higher than the 49ers? DVOA has the 49ers as the #2 team in team efficiency.

And you brush off our offense like it is nothing. They have faced only 1 offense ranked higher than ours and did so when they were without their pro bowl RB. As to what ranking ESPN. FYI Pete has said he wants to keep it close and win in the 4th. He has said it many times. FYI SF is ranked 12th in DVOA, we are 3rd. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

That on offense which has been my point. SF wins defense, we fi. Offense and ST by ESPN. By footballoutsiders SF wins Defense, we win Offense, and ST is a wash within 2 spots. So again this not notbequal to SF being better and it's not close.

why are we talking about offensive rankings? the question was which TEAM is better. I'm not talking about offense I'm talking about teams as a whole. I know our offense is better I never argued this at all. DVOA has SF ranked as the #2 team in efficiency right now. No one has us ranked higher than the 49ers. But then again this is why we are fans lol. We will just have to disagree to agree. They are playing defense and ball control. This is how you keep offenses like mahomes and Wilson off the field. You've seen this for years because we did this. Its a winning strategy.

They are going to be a tough opponent and I have a hunch our division is going to be decided on the very last game of the season. regardless this is one of the most exciting seasons we've had in a while.

Simple because SF has a better defense, we have a better offense, and ST is about the same. That help you. As to rankings great but once again, that only tells you part of the story. Those are based on whom they have played which means based on matchups. What if everyone SF played to date were great match ups for them, while everyone we played were bad for us? Then those DVOA would show them better when the reality is it was about match ups. not who is really better. Also, again, my issue is not about who is better or not, it is about the statement, and I am paraphrasing, "SF is better and its not close".

Also let me make another point clear, lets say we are ranked 2nd on offense and SF is 5th. But Sf is ranked 2nd on defense, and we are ranked say 6th. Well cumulative Sf would be ranked higher with a 7 compared to our 8th. However, the gap between their offense and ours may be wider than just 1 spot. There are reasons to believe they are better, there are reason to question that too. But we will soon see.

John63

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3cnjs393 said:
Niners look an awful lot like we did in 2012. That defense is just dominant right now. IMO, the best in the league and by a pretty good margin. Basically they and NE are in a class entirely by themselves and NE is the beneficiary of just playing grossly incompetent opposition almost every week (save Buffalo). SFs rushing attack is just filthy, physical and punishing.

They look to be in a class where we are not. And it appears that they are not done peaking. Looks like they are cultivating a swagger and expectation we developed in 2012/13.

Funny, that both sides seem to think 1-1 is an outcome we'd accept. But honestly, I suspect that on the niners' side, that's a byproduct of what Wilson has done against them for years. This niner team doesn't look like the same team they've rolled out in 2017/18. They look a lot hungrier and dominant.

The problem is who has the niners player also? The rams minus Gurley? I mean neither NE or the niners have a tough schedule. So we will see.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
That defense reminds me of ours 2012; we HAVE to find a way to develop a pass rush. Maybe Reed's return and the continued jelling of Ansah and Clowney will pay dividends. I'll be at the game in Levi Stadium on my birthday so we'd better win!

blazen2392

Reaction score
John63":igdfe1tr said:
blazen2392":igdfe1tr said:
John63":igdfe1tr said:
blazen2392":igdfe1tr said:
Lol you brush thier defense off like its nothing. They have the 2nd best defense in the NFL. The disparity between our defenses is a whole lot bigger than the disparity between our offense. They also have a more efficient run game and offensive line than we do. They DOMINATE time of possession. They are playing Pete ball at its finest. This is how our HC wants to win games. Pete wants ball control, TOP and defense. Our HC does not come into games intending to play ugly tight games. If anything our new style of football is uncomfortable for Pete. He has never wanted the QB to have this much reign in his offense.

What rankings are you looking at that has our team ranked higher than the 49ers? DVOA has the 49ers as the #2 team in team efficiency.

And you brush off our offense like it is nothing. They have faced only 1 offense ranked higher than ours and did so when they were without their pro bowl RB. As to what ranking ESPN. FYI Pete has said he wants to keep it close and win in the 4th. He has said it many times. FYI SF is ranked 12th in DVOA, we are 3rd. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff/2019

That on offense which has been my point. SF wins defense, we fi. Offense and ST by ESPN. By footballoutsiders SF wins Defense, we win Offense, and ST is a wash within 2 spots. So again this not notbequal to SF being better and it's not close.

why are we talking about offensive rankings? the question was which TEAM is better. I'm not talking about offense I'm talking about teams as a whole. I know our offense is better I never argued this at all. DVOA has SF ranked as the #2 team in efficiency right now. No one has us ranked higher than the 49ers. But then again this is why we are fans lol. We will just have to disagree to agree. They are playing defense and ball control. This is how you keep offenses like mahomes and Wilson off the field. You've seen this for years because we did this. Its a winning strategy.

They are going to be a tough opponent and I have a hunch our division is going to be decided on the very last game of the season. regardless this is one of the most exciting seasons we've had in a while.

Simple because SF has a better defense, we have a better offense, and ST is about the same. That help you. As to rankings great but once again, that only tells you part of the story. Those are based on whom they have played which means based on matchups. What if everyone SF played to date were great match ups for them, while everyone we played were bad for us? Then those DVOA would show them better when the reality is it was about match ups. not who is really better. Also, again, my issue is not about who is better or not, it is about the statement, and I am paraphrasing, "SF is better and its not close".

Also let me make another point clear, lets say we are ranked 2nd on offense and SF is 5th. But Sf is ranked 2nd on defense, and we are ranked say 6th. Well cumulative Sf would be ranked higher with a 7 compared to our 8th. However, the gap between their offense and ours may be wider than just 1 spot. There are reasons to believe they are better, there are reason to question that too. But we will soon see.

I was never arguing that its not even close. I agree the 49ers are better at damn near every other position besides QB and RB this season but things like coaching experience, QB play and them being a division rival are factors that can equalize it. I personally believe we split with the Niners 1-1.

But by your logic no one is better than us because "what if" every other team that has been ranked higher than us just played a team that was a better matchup for them. If this team was doing the exact same thing with the exact same stats and not named the 49ers you would probably change your tune lol. You're just not being objective. the 49ers are a legit team and probably top 3 in the NFL

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, that's your opinion. Their schedule would say differently. They certainly LOOK like a really good team. Top 3 in football? I doubt it. But we are 6 weeks in and they have beaten ONE team with a winning record, and the Rams are at .500. But they def. are a solid team overall.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":37rf8dro said:
Well, that's your opinion. Their schedule would say differently. They certainly LOOK like a really good team. Top 3 in football? I doubt it. But we are 6 weeks in and they have beaten ONE team with a winning record, and the Rams are at .500. But they def. are a solid team overall.

Exactly what most of us think as well.

John63

Reaction score
blazen2392":hwsffwe2 said:
John63":hwsffwe2 said:
blazen2392":hwsffwe2 said:
John63":hwsffwe2 said:

I was never arguing that its not even close. I agree the 49ers are better at damn near every other position besides QB and RB this season but things like coaching experience, QB play and them being a division rival are factors that can equalize it. I personally believe we split with the Niners 1-1.

But by your logic no one is better than us because "what if" every other team that has been ranked higher than us just played a team that was a better matchup for them. If this team was doing the exact same thing with the exact same stats and not named the 49ers you would probably change your tune lol. You're just not being objective. the 49ers are a legit team and probably top 3 in the NFL

This is were you should read the whole thread and look at what has been said so you understand, my comment. My comment was not made in isolation but with regards to things said on this thread.

chris98251

Reaction score
As I stated earlier it's early a lot can change fast, just look in L.A to see that, high flying defending Division Champs coming into the year and then boom they are hitting a panic button.

We seen Kam, Sherman, Avril, Bennett and Earl gone almost over night and are trying to reconstruct.

San Francisco may have a Leprechaun on their shoulder this season or it could come crashing down if they don't have a bit of luck and get the wrong player hurt at the wrong time.

We thought our Line was going to be fixed and now we have two starters and a key back up out along with our starting TE. We are shuffling also and trying to keep our heads above water, so far so good but that line were walking gets harder and harder to stay on the more blows we take.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Football is more interesting when San Francisco and Seattle are both good.

D

DomeHawk

They clearly are better than what we thought coming into the season. it's really too early to tell but given the fact that they are beating good teams, it certainly is a valid question.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Popeyejones":awkpnrn3 said:
SoulfishHawk":awkpnrn3 said:
I see a split, home team winning both.

Yeah.

If there was even money on EITHER team going 2-0 or a 1-1 split, I'd still probably take the split at this point.

Lots of reasons for that, but probably the topic for another thread.
Let's be real. There's one primary reason you'd take the split, and his name is Russell Wilson. We're giving your defense the credit it deserves right now, so return the favor with some honesty. :)

evergreen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":38q70f78 said:
If were going down the list of who has the advantage at each position, the ONLY two spots where we have the advantage over the Niners that I see are at QB and RB, and maybe WR.

That's it, the Niners have more talent and are playing better at every other position.........especially on the defensive side of the ball. If they don't have the best front seven in the NFL, idk who does.

The good news is QB IS the most important position to hold the advantage over your opponents, as we've seen all year with Russell winning games.
We may have a better kicker. Plus our middle linebacker not bad...

Washington49er

Reaction score
chris98251":1pkqncnx said:
As I stated earlier it's early a lot can change fast, just look in L.A to see that, high flying defending Division Champs coming into the year and then boom they are hitting a panic button.

We seen Kam, Sherman, Avril, Bennett and Earl gone almost over night and are trying to reconstruct.

San Francisco may have a Leprechaun on their shoulder this season or it could come crashing down if they don't have a bit of luck and get the wrong player hurt at the wrong time.

We thought our Line was going to be fixed and now we have two starters and a key back up out along with our starting TE. We are shuffling also and trying to keep our heads above water, so far so good but that line were walking gets harder and harder to stay on the more blows we take.

49ers down 2 starting tackles, FB, CB and a couple of receivers. If we lose anyone else before they are set to return things could change in a hurry.

Redskin game to me is the scariest game this year, not because of the team but that field, its an accident waiting to happen. We lost a couple of guys against the Browns already the last thing the 9ers need is to lose more because of that field.

Latest posts