Bad coaching decisions.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
The one that comes to mind is the false start on a play where the Seahawks were going to punt. They showed their hand in that false start and continued with the play with the next play. It was atrociously obvious. Fake punt! Dickson stutter stepping on the hike lol poor guy. Horrible call, horrible execution.

Why didn't the coaching staff nix that play after the false start and just punt? Bad, so bad!

Last edited:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Clint Hurt might be the worst DC in the league right now. Wrong thread woops

sc85sis

Reaction score
It wasn't a planned fake punt. It was supposed to be a kick, per Pete's postgame presser. They were planning on moving the kick position - a la a rugby-style kick - and Dickson saw something he didn't like and decided to run with it. It was a bad decision on his part.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
The one that comes to mind is the false start on a play where the Seahawks were going to punt. They showed their hand in that false start and continued with the play with the next play. It was atrociously obvious. Fake punt! Dixon stutter stepping on the hike lol poor guy. Horrible call, horrible execution.

Why didn't the coaching staff nix that play after the false start and just punt? Bad, so bad!
Pete said it was not a fake punt. Error by the kicker. He was supposed to roll out and kick it. That didn't happen correctly.

rjdriver

Reaction score
A product of past success I'm sure. Dickson was one for one when he had the first down run from the end zone a few years ago. He got cocky.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Clint Hurt might be the worst DC in the league right now. Wrong thread woops

I don't disagree.

Honest question though. Objectively examining our personnel, how much better would be with an average to an above average DC?

We rooks in the backfield, a noon existent MLB, underachieving edge rushing...etc..

I'm not suggesting, I'm asking. Would this D be good with a different DC?

OP
OP
O

OLYhawks

Reaction score
It wasn't a planned fake punt. It was supposed to be a kick, per Pete's postgame presser. They were planning on moving the kick position - a la a rugby-style kick - and Dickson saw something he didn't like and decided to run with it. It was a bad decision on his part.
I didn't see the post game presser. Either way, after the false start, the play should have been nixed and just punted the ball with no cutesy play call.

getnasty

Reaction score
I didn't see the post game presser. Either way, after the false start, the play should have been nixed and just punted the ball with no cutesy play call.
Not really cutesy Dickson has probably done that 50 since being drafted. He messed it up today.

OP
OP
O

OLYhawks

Reaction score
Not really cutesy Dickson has probably done that 50 since being drafted. He messed it up today.
Which, again, the false start showed the Saints what they were doing. In which they should have just punted straight up. Bad coaching.

getnasty

Reaction score
Which, again, the false start showed the Saints what they were doing. In which they should have just punted straight up. Bad coaching.
You can't blame coaching on Dickson making a boneheaded play, maybe hold him accountable for the mistake, it was his fault. Plenty of things to complain about with the coaching this is not one of them.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
I agree that's how it looked. And it may have been a coaching mistake. But are you saying this to make a point about the coaching in general or about how this play was not executed effectively?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
There were some drives on offense that were stalled because the offense still has a 'run to setup the pass' mentality. Geno is good enough from the pocket and on anticipation throws that we have to transition to a 'pass to setup the run' mentality. Our OL blocks better for passing, our most explosive playmakers are receivers, our best offensive player is Geno, and our starting RB is now injured.

Pass-first.

Second, our defensive play calling was bad too. A lot was execution but on Taysom's backbreaking TD, we had EVERYONE up on the line. There was no second level for him to beat. Why? On a team that is having so much trouble containing the edge (and I believe that responsibility went to a CB who got blown up on that play), that seemed suspect.

The fake punt is apparently bad execution from our usually reliable punter. Can't hang this on the coaching staff.