Bear's Den -- Week #2

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
WEEK 2: Packers

A quote from Adam Jahns…

“Offensive coordinator Luke Getsy's decision to go shotgun on fourth-and-goal from the 1 will be thoroughly debated in Chicago on Monday. Justin Fields was close to scoring, but the officials ruled that he never crossed the plane. A handoff to running back David Montgomery might have been the better call. He's been the Bears' best player tonight.”

Even Chris Collinsworth was questioning the call during the broadcast. Why do a QB sneak from the shotgun? Only needed 6 inches. Take the ball from under center and put a TE behind Fields to help push. Or give the ball to Monty who was running great in the second half. Bears fans, including me, are angry with Getsy’s play-calling. There is no way the referee could have known one way or the other whether Fields broke the plane. The guy in NY who comments on replays said he thought Fields broke the plane, but there was not enough evidence to prove anything, so the play stands. For all intents and purposes, that was the ballgame.

That TD would have made the score 24-17 with about 7 minutes to go and the Bears had the momentum.

Bottom line, though, Aaron Rodgers still owns the Bears. We get one more shot at them in Chicago. Bears are an inexperienced group, so hopefully there will be progress by then.
Go Bears!

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
Bears look a lot of more competitive this year. Just wish they would give Fields more help on offense IMO.

The WRs are shifty but they are not physical enough like other larger WRs in the NFL. I like the RB and TE rooms respectively but a veteran WR with size would have been a big help for Fields IMO. Having a WR that is tall enough for red zone targets is a big piece to be missing IMO.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
For sure, Bears will upgrade the WR position in 2023. One reason Fields gets sacked too much is that he’s got nobody open. Most of these guys will be gone — I hope. It’s damn hard to find a WR like DK who his both size and speed. Poles is addicted to drafting speed. This year he drafted Velus Jones who runs a 4.3 in the 40 but not a good route runner. I agree we need a bigger WR who can run good routes and get separation, even if not blazing speed.

I wish the Bears had a big dude like Woods to help against the run. Seahawks need more there, too. Both my teams got steam-rolled on the ground yesterday by the west coast offense.

Last edited: