Best draft in years

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Then who was the qb if the future after the top 12 picks? If there was a potential one, he would have been gone in tge first 2 rounds. Not in the 4. If Howell had stayed in school and been part of this draft, he would have been up there with the top 6 QBs.

And if these top 6 QBs had been in the nfl for 2 years. Half of them would be 3rd string or out of the nfl now. Just the way it always works out.

Then he would have been a bust. Again, i've said Seattle wasn't in any position to search for their QBotF this draft, but it sure isn't going to be Howell. The guy has played in the league already and has thrown as many int's as td's. Great QB's don't do that. He's not the QB that's going to take Seattle to the next level.

Seattle is going to have to figure out how to get in position to draft their QB and I don't know how that's going to work out, but it needs to be in the next couple years.

xray

Reaction score
Howell was traded for a 3rd so until he proves otherwise he is the future or life after Geno IMO.
If true ; then the Hawks will have the weakest QB in the NFCW . Even Murray at his worst is better then Howell at his best .

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
But I never want to hear again about how JS is committed to reloading at the QB position, like they did with his former organization in Green Bay. All I've heard for years is how he liked this QB and that QB in the draft but it always comes to nothing. I've got to see it to believe it now.
Although the trade for Howell was made before the draft, we used some of our draft capital to make that trade... so the way that I look at it, JS absolutely reloaded the QB position this draft.

The only downside is we don't have Howell for four years on a rookie contract... rather just two.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Best draft in years? Not sure about that. This might however be the best three year stretch of drafts ever for the Seahawks franchise.
Really looking forward to continued success and development from the ‘22 class as they begin to establish themselves more into leadership roles.
Looking forward to more solid play and breakout years from the ‘23 class.
Looking forward to how this blue collar leaning draft fits with the current team and culture.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
If they are laying all their cards on Howell being the QBotF then Macdonald was a bad hire. Howell is not the answer at QB.
We can't know whether Howell is or isn't the answer at QB after one season with a different team and a different coaching staff. We don't know what he'll look like under coach Grubb's & coach London's tutelage. Maybe they can get through to him and teach him to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack, maybe they don't force him to throw the ball 600+ times a season. And maybe Macdonald can fix the defense enough to where the offense won't have to play from behind game in and game out. There's quite a few facets to this. We should give him a chance, if indeed they view him as the starter for 2025.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
If true ; then the Hawks will have the weakest QB in the NFCW . Even Murray at his worst is better then Howell at his best .
The brought in Mariota to replace Howell as their backup QB. A few weeks ago people were telling me that’s not because Mariota is a better backup QB than Howell. They said Commanders were drafting Maye instead of Daniels. That didn’t happen. The Commanders plan is now clear, and it never included Howell.

jeremiah

Reaction score
So, what was your solution?
Should we have taken the 7th rated QB in the draft & just hope he's a franchise QB or use our limited assets to trade up to get 1 of those 6 guys drafted before we even had the chance to draft them & hope they were a franchise QB while ignoring the interior DL that made every team we played look like they had an elite OL & a HOF RB in his prime.
FTR, I truly believe they would have taken Penix if he was there but he wasn't.
From the News Conference, Schneider addressed the QB room, and he is pleased and settled until proven wrong. If you build the interior line and the D, and he QB stinks it up, the team will be in a place to draft a QB next year or the year after. As for myself, I think Bo Nix is gonna be a star in Denver. Just a hunch

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
We can't know whether Howell is or isn't the answer at QB after one season with a different team and a different coaching staff. We don't know what he'll look like under coach Grubb's & coach London's tutelage. Maybe they can get through to him and teach him to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack, maybe they don't force him to throw the ball 600+ times a season. And maybe Macdonald can fix the defense enough to where the offense won't have to play from behind game in and game out. There's quite a few facets to this. We should give him a chance, if indeed they view him as the starter for 2025.

You see enough to form a pretty good opinion. Great QB's get things done and win. Howell isnt that. Even if you fix some areas of his game, he'll be nothing more than a game manager like Geno. A super bowl hopeful team needs more than that.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
From the News Conference, Schneider addressed the QB room, and he is pleased and settled until proven wrong. If you build the interior line and the D, and he QB stinks it up, the team will be in a place to draft a QB next year or the year after. As for myself, I think Bo Nix is gonna be a star in Denver. Just a hunch
They should have tried to trade up for Nix this year. Now the Seahawks are on the Howell train for a couple years. We probably won’t be in any better draft position next year.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I see we also signed center Novitski from Kansas. That guy is a winner and can play at any level. Good get! This draft just keeps on getting better.
We're waiting for QB J Daniels from Kansas to jump into the draft. Then we'll have our QBOTF.

NoGain

Reaction score
Although the trade for Howell was made before the draft, we used some of our draft capital to make that trade... so the way that I look at it, JS absolutely reloaded the QB position this draft.

The only downside is we don't have Howell for four years on a rookie contract... rather just two.
Yes, I'm talking about actually drafting QB's and having them for significant developmental time on their rookie contracts. JS got Howell as a cheaper quality backup QB to replace Drew Lock, and, I believe, actually traded a higher draft pick for him than where he went in the draft.

I know this might sound like splitting hairs, but when I have to go back like twenty years and only can come up with one QB drafted in the first 4-5 rounds, I think it's fair to say that they haven't been good forward looking custodians of the position in the draft.

Anyway, I'm just very concerned about by far the most important position in all team sports.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Yes, I'm talking about actually drafting QB's and having them for significant developmental time on their rookie contracts. JS got Howell as a cheaper quality backup QB to replace Drew Lock, and, I believe, actually traded a higher draft pick for him than where he went in the draft.

I know this might sound like splitting hairs, but when I have to go back like twenty years and only can come up with one QB drafted in the first 4-5 rounds, I think it's fair to say that they haven't been good forward looking custodians of the position in the draft.

Anyway, I'm just very concerned about by far the most important position in all team sports.
I totally understand... and your concern is valid and shared by many here.

I believe that the answer lies in how many of today's starting top 10 to 12 QBs were in a realistic range for JS/PC to draft? It would make for an interesting project. I just might study that.

The Breh

Reaction score
Then he would have been a bust. Again, i've said Seattle wasn't in any position to search for their QBotF this draft, but it sure isn't going to be Howell. The guy has played in the league already and has thrown as many int's as td's. Great QB's don't do that. He's not the QB that's going to take Seattle to the next level.

Seattle is going to have to figure out how to get in position to draft their QB and I don't know how that's going to work out, but it needs to be in the next couple years.
Howell was on a piece of shit team.
He's not him, but just look back at Peyton's first year numbers.
Change of scenery can do wonders.
As we were positioned this year, we're better off with Howell's experience and potential upside vs. whichever QB we could have drafted with his pick.

NoGain

Reaction score
I totally understand... and your concern is valid and shared by many here.

I believe that the answer lies in how many of today's starting top 10 to 12 QBs were in a realistic range for JS/PC to draft? It would make for an interesting project. I just might study that.
Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson, Brock Purdy, and Jordan Love immediately come to mind. I also think they could have been real aggressive in trading up and going for QB's like Mahomes and Josh Allen and others, all QB's JS was supposedly enamored with. Instead we watch them trade high draft picks away for players like Jamal Adams playing a non premium position.

And when you stop and think about it, Howell was picked in the 5th round. We could easily have had him in the draft for ourselves.

xray

Reaction score
Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson, Brock Purdy, and Jordan Love immediately come to mind. I also think they could have been real aggressive in trading up and going for QB's like Mahomes and Josh Allen and others, all QB's JS was supposedly enamored with. Instead we watch them trade high draft picks away for players like Jamal Adams playing a non premium position.

And when you stop and think about it, Howell was picked in the 5th round. We could easily have had him in the draft for ourselves.
You're trying to explain some obvious shit to folks that think JS is a draft/trade guru .

Scout

Reaction score
Jeezus...if he's so good ; why did WA unload him on JS ?
That is a fair question but that happens often with constant changes to coaching staffs where players are lost in the shuffle.

Were the Broncos better off unloading Lock because the Hackett coaching staff wanted to move on and traded him to Seattle with other players and picks for Wilson? They might still end up drafting Penix this year, but Lock is a better bridge QB than Stidham IMO.

Howell was not part of the new regime so he was cast aside. Sometimes one man's trash is another man's treasure. Mayfield was considered trash by the Panthers new coaching staff and the Bucs turn around and sign him the following off season. Ironically Reich coaching staff was canned with only one season to show for it.