Cap space/contract gurus !!!!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":2qk06t97 said:
If we sign Clowney and Reed...we will have spent more money on our top-4 players than any team besides the Rams has spent on their top 5. We might actually spend more on our top-3 than anyone else has spent on their top 4. Then our secondary contracts of Brown, Lockett, KJ (who we obviously can't let go of after his stellar performance this season), Britt (IDK) and the safeties. LOL at thinking we're going to be cap rich. You simply haven't done the math. We're going to end up with somewhere around 10-15 million to fill a dozen slots.

Iupati: 3M
Britt: 12M
Fluker: 3.5M
Wright: 8.5M

There's another 27-28M you just freed up with players we probably will cut or not resign next year.....and there are a bunch more 2nd and 3rd stringers like Moore, Brown, Prosise, etc that we're not bringing back that'll free up more cap.

So yes, we've done the math, plenty of room to do whatever we want to do to try to snag Clowney and probably Reed, who REALLY screwed himself in his contract year by getting suspended, and we can probably get for a much lower extension then we would have had to pay him if he played in the first six games and balled out.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":q5f6u2p2 said:
If we sign Clowney and Reed...we will have spent more money on our top-4 players than any team besides the Rams has spent on their top 5. We might actually spend more on our top-3 than anyone else has spent on their top 4. Then our secondary contracts of Brown, Lockett, KJ (who we obviously can't let go of after his stellar performance this season), Britt (IDK) and the safeties. LOL at thinking we're going to be cap rich. You simply haven't done the math. We're going to end up with somewhere around 10-15 million to fill a dozen slots.

Ok, just top 5 contracts on books for NFC teams in 2020:

Sea 76m:

31m Wilson
14.7m Wagner
12.5m Brown
11.6m Britt (likely relieved)
10.2m Lockett

ATL 100m:

33.5m Ryan
20.4m Jones
16m Matthews
16m Jarrett
15m Trufant

Ari 67m (rookie deal QB):

21.3m Jones
14.2m Johnson
13.1m Peterson
10.5m Pugh
10m Hicks

Carolina 78m:

21.1m Newton
20.9m Short
13.7m Kuechly
13.3m Poe
12.8m Turner

Chicago 82m (rookie deal QB):

26.6m Mack
17.5m Fuller
15m Robinson
13.2m Floyd
11.8m Hicks

Dallas 62m (no QB under contract yet):

21.9m Lawrence
15m Martin
13.5m Smith
11.9m Frederick
10.9m Elliott

Detroit 84m:

31.5m Stafford
16.7m Flowers
13.4m Slay
11.9m Wagner
11.7m Harrison

GB 84m:

32.6m Rodgers
17.2m Smith
16.6m Adams
14.2m Bakhtiari
13.5m Smith

I could go on. But quite obviously we are NOT paying the top dollar for top 5 contracts. In fact in this cursory list, we're the lowest of the teams that have a QB on the second/third deal. And even then, we're right in line.

One can easily have a 30m + 20m contract at the top 2 and still manage your cap quite easily. Seattle doesn't have a slew of pro bowl talent at ancillary positions that they have to pay 12m+ to retain. Obviously not all of these top 5 deals will still be on the book in 2020 (some will become cap casualties as we expect Britt to do). But it's pretty easy to see that other teams have top heavy composition just as we would with a Clowney deal.

What would be worse, is if we're paying non LT/DE/QB contracts in the top 5 overall. Or more to the point, not having LT/DE/QB players WORTH top 5 overall contracts. Seattle is kind of blessed to have the option to pay for quality at those three premium positions. Most teams don't have that option if they wanted it.

Doing the rough math (or looking at how other teams are doing it), and it's pretty clear that we can pay him without a second thought.

Tical21

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":15w0uvls said:
Tical21":15w0uvls said:

Sea 76m:

31m Wilson
14.7m Wagner
12.5m Brown
10.2m Lockett

ATL 100m:

33.5m Ryan
20.4m Jones
16m Matthews
16m Jarrett
15m Trufant

21.3m Jones
14.2m Johnson
13.1m Peterson
10.5m Pugh
10m Hicks

Carolina 78m:

21.1m Newton
20.9m Short
13.7m Kuechly
13.3m Poe
12.8m Turner

26.6m Mack
17.5m Fuller
15m Robinson
13.2m Floyd
11.8m Hicks

21.9m Lawrence
15m Martin
13.5m Smith
11.9m Frederick
10.9m Elliott

Detroit 84m:

31.5m Stafford
16.7m Flowers
13.4m Slay
11.9m Wagner
11.7m Harrison

GB 84m:

32.6m Rodgers
17.2m Smith
16.6m Adams
14.2m Bakhtiari
13.5m Smith

I could go on. But quite obviously we are NOT paying the top dollar for top 5 contracts. In fact in this cursory list, we're the lowest of the teams that have a QB on the second/third deal. And even then, we're right in line.

One can easily have a 30m + 20m contract at the top 2 and still manage your cap quite easily. Seattle doesn't have a slew of pro bowl talent at ancillary positions that they have to pay 12m+ to retain. Obviously not all of these top 5 deals will still be on the book in 2020 (some will become cap casualties as we expect Britt to do). But it's pretty easy to see that other teams have top heavy composition just as we would with a Clowney deal.

What would be worse, is if we're paying non LT/DE/QB contracts in the top 5 overall. Or more to the point, not having LT/DE/QB players WORTH top 5 overall contracts. Seattle is kind of blessed to have the option to pay for quality at those three premium positions. Most teams don't have that option if they wanted it.

Doing the rough math (or looking at how other teams are doing it), and it's pretty clear that we can pay him without a second thought.
Wow, I hadn't even thought to look at Atlanta. So I guess we'll be second after Reed/Clowney? Probably 10million more than in third, and second only to an awful, old, overpriced team. A lot of those teams that will be somewhat close are dumpster fires that have committed suicide.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":3lweeio7 said:
Attyla the Hawk":3lweeio7 said:
Tical21":3lweeio7 said:

Sea 76m:

31m Wilson
14.7m Wagner
12.5m Brown
10.2m Lockett

ATL 100m:

33.5m Ryan
20.4m Jones
16m Matthews
16m Jarrett
15m Trufant

21.3m Jones
14.2m Johnson
13.1m Peterson
10.5m Pugh
10m Hicks

Carolina 78m:

21.1m Newton
20.9m Short
13.7m Kuechly
13.3m Poe
12.8m Turner

26.6m Mack
17.5m Fuller
15m Robinson
13.2m Floyd
11.8m Hicks

21.9m Lawrence
15m Martin
13.5m Smith
11.9m Frederick
10.9m Elliott

Detroit 84m:

31.5m Stafford
16.7m Flowers
13.4m Slay
11.9m Wagner
11.7m Harrison

GB 84m:

32.6m Rodgers
17.2m Smith
16.6m Adams
14.2m Bakhtiari
13.5m Smith

Wow, I hadn't even thought to look at Atlanta. So I guess we'll be second after Reed/Clowney? Probably 10million more than in third, and second only to an awful, old, overpriced team. A lot of those teams that will be somewhat close are dumpster fires that have committed suicide.

Are you talking about the awful, old Falcons team that just beat the superbowl-contending saints? Or someone else?

mikeak

Reaction score
:vodka:
John63":2mrjz7t2 said:
HawkStrong":2mrjz7t2 said:
Tical21":2mrjz7t2 said:
We don't "really" have a ton of cap space, as we don't have a high number of players signed through next season. If we sign Clowney AND Reed, we'll be pretty strapped afterwards, but we can quite easily sign one of the two.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/9/14/20 ... owney-fant

How dare you show facts. Sarcasm off.

Everyone knows we will have planty of cap space.

Did you read the highlights or all the way to the end? Let me know when you read the list of players hitting FA. Hint it is towards the end. We are ok. Not in plenty of cap space land after we are done resigning our own players

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
One thing mentioned earlier is the smaller hit of dead cap $ for the 2020 cap.
Falling off this year is Kam $10.2M, ADB $6.3M, Malik McDowell $1.6M and Mingo $1.1M as the biggest hits totaling about $19M
Before draft picks, FA's ect we have roughly $70M plus.
The Q will be which of our UFA's we want to keep.

Fade

Reaction score
Big players doesn't necessarily mean bid spenders.

See 2013 when they were big players and got Avril and Bennett.

Best believe if they lose Clowney in FA they will be very aggressive in signing a DE.

I think they will be aggressive anyway if then can re-sign Clowney to get another pass rusher to pair with Clowney.

Seafan

Reaction score
The team will let Ansah walk and sign Clowney. He'll be in demand but the Hawks will consider him a priority unlike Clark. Reed won't command the money that Clowney does. He's not in Aaron Donald's league.

sutz

Reaction score
From the quotes we've been seeing and just for common sense, I have to believe we have the inside track to re-sign Clowney even without the leverage of the Tag.

At least I hope so. Doesn't mean I'm counting on a "home town discount" or anything, but all other things being equal, I think we have an advantage.

hawks85

Reaction score
pmedic920":ygh8ehdl said:
How do we keep Clowney ?

My hope is that his comments about wanting to play in Seattle were from his heart, and he’ll be willing to negotiate a reasonable deal for both sides.

I was stoked to get him, I’m fearful that we won’t be able to keep him.

Hopefully last night (vs 9ers) showed everyone just what an impact player he can be.

So, can we afford him?
IMHO JC should be pretty high on the priority list.
Clowney isn't going anywhere. Next year I'll say 16-20 mil a year. Ansah on the other hand, I don't know if he was signed on a one year deal or multi year. If anyone goes its probably him.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Give it up, everyone. Tical is still butt hurt over us re-signing RW *at all*, let alone for close to what he is worth. This has turned into his temper tantrum thread. :roll: :roll:

Subzero717

Reaction score
I know Im in the minority but I just cant reconcile paying Clowney 20 mill. Not with his injury history. Not with his lack of sack production. He had a fantastic game against SF but wgere was that weeks 3-9?

Jville

Reaction score
HawkStrong":2gvd0t1h said:
Subzero717":2gvd0t1h said:
I know Im in the minority but I just cant reconcile paying Clowney 20 mill. Not with his injury history. Not with his lack of sack production. He had a fantastic game against SF but wgere was that weeks 3-9?

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/723334/s ... n-clowney/

Thanks for the link :biggthumpup:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1197276074838654977[/tweet]

I'm reminded of a previous defensive end who, to this day, probably isn't fully appreciated for all that he did. He was a part time role player with limited sacks that was signed to a contract that surprised a lot of fans. Chris Clemons was a truly well rounded defensive end. Every fan's eye fully sees and acknowledges the sack. But, not so much the pressures and hurries and fumbles caused that present opportunities for turnovers. The football staff on the other hand looks at all of it.

I also recall a famous response failure to the question ...... which would you rather have a sack or an interception return for a score. Bruce Irvin moved to Oakland the very next year. Not every player or fan gets it.

I'm confident our staff understands it and can present appropriate contract terms.

Subzero717

Reaction score

Subzero717

Reaction score
Jville":k78mnk8f said:
HawkStrong":k78mnk8f said:
Subzero717":k78mnk8f said:

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/723334/s ... n-clowney/

Thanks for the link :biggthumpup:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1197276074838654977[/tweet]

I'm reminded of a previous defensive end who, to this day, probably isn't fully appreciated for all that he did. He was a part time role player with limited sacks that was signed to a contract that surprised a lot of fans. Chris Clemons was a truly well rounded defensive end. Every fan's eye fully sees and acknowledges the sack. But, not so much the pressures and hurries and fumbles caused that present opportunities for turnovers. The football staff on the other hand looks at all of it.

I also recall a famous response failure to the question ...... which would you rather have a sack or an interception return for a score. Bruce Irvin moved to Oakland the very next year. Not every player or fan gets it.

I'm confident our staff understands it and can present appropriate contract terms.

Im not really sure how youre comparing Clemons to Clowney. Not in the sense of financial commitment thats being thrown around.

On the other hand those things arent happening. Ints, sacks etc. We had a multiple game stretch with no sacks.

Seafan

Reaction score
Offer Clowney 10 year/$200 million, $50 mil SB, $75 mil guaranteed. It could be structured to include game bonuses, sack bonuses, win bonuses, etc and be relatively cap friendly.

kf3339

Reaction score
When we get to the off-season we will have plenty of cap room either by what we have now, or what cuts we make at that time by JS and PC. I don't know why people are worried about this round now.

Personally , I don't give a damn about anything to do with cap space or FA signings right now, but do care a lot about this season. We are in a race to not only get the division crown, but possibly a first round bye and even HFA for the playoffs. Why is this subject even being discussed right now?

Forget about this nonsense and focus on the season right now. That is where all your attention should be. Please!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kf3339":2gzyym82 said:
When we get to the off-season we will have plenty of cap room either by what we have now, or what cuts we make at that time by JS and PC. I don't know why people are worried about this round now.

Personally , I don't give a damn about anything to do with cap space or FA signings right now, but do care a lot about this season. We are in a race to not only get the division crown, but possibly a first round bye and even HFA for the playoffs. Why is this subject even being discussed right now?

Forget about this nonsense and focus on the season right now. That is where all your attention should be. Please!
I totally agree but you know this place..There are some who worry about next season
even if were playing in the SB lol.
There are others who can't stop harping on the past no matter what.
You should know you are not going to convert any of them just saying.