Carroll post game presser

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Maybe this has been posted but Pete Carroll’s post game pressure was absurd:

“I’m really disappointed cause I pride myself on thinking we can scheme our way onto all kinds of good things. I gotta do better.”

Who? You? Clint Hurtt? Sean Desai?

Embarrassing.

Wtf! How long has this scheme been the scheme? All four NFC South teams not only beat Seattle, but, pretty much, handled Seattle rather easily. That’s embarrassing.

If posters here are angry, they have every right to be.

Carroll didn’t provide any excuses but I am definitely ready to see him “do better” whenever that happens.

God awful.

Yes, posters here have every right to be upset.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
i'm curious what your expectations were heading into the season. i'm guessing you didn't think we would be super competitive post-wilson and without stars on defense. but in fairness in no way could you have seen this defensive meltdown, either. you're like most on these forums, torn because with even a decent run defense and pass rush we would be fighting for the division. i get it. we started to exceed expectations, created new hopes and expectations, and now each subsequent loss stings.

the offense is fairly young, has overperformed, and is in good shape. geno will probably be extended.

but there's nothing to sugarcoat with the defense. pass coverage is ok. however there is no pass rush. qbs have all day to throw. we also have the worst run defense in the league. it's not just the scheme. barton, diggs, poona, mone, taylor, jefferson, etc have played extremely poorly against the run. their needs to be a massive overhaul on the defensive side of the ball this offseason, and that also includes replacing the coordinator(s) and getting a proven guy to come in before the draft and giving him the keys to the defense. no more clint hurtt/norton. no more promoting unknowns.

the defense has to change, or all our offensive improvements/investments will be for nothing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
their needs to be a massive overhaul on the defensive side of the ball this offseason, and that also includes replacing the coordinator(s) and getting a proven guy to come in before the draft and giving him the keys to the defense. no more clint hurtt/norton. no more promoting unknowns.

Sean Desai has 11 years of NFL experience, and Karl Scott has 33 years of experience and Hurtt has what 9 years?

This is not an inexperienced defensive coaching staff. It's one of the more veteran in the league and Desai and Scott were brought in for the very reason of adding experienced coaches with pedigrees with good defensive scheming and development.

So I totally get Pete's frustration. But he knows what most of us know, you can't scheme bad players into success.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sounds like Pete is ready to jump back into the defense,I certainly hope so.
I really think he has been waiting to see if the DC and coaches would pull it
off on doing better.
I think he has his answer and someones going to be fired after the season.

hinton

Reaction score
Yeah, it sucks to lose but there's no reason to exaggerate - all 4 losses to the NFC South were.1 score games.

We're 7-6 and in playoff contention in a year when most of us had a 5-win expectation going into the season.

Our d-line and LBers need major upgrades, other than that our rebuild seems a year or two ahead of schedule.

We nailed the last draft, we've got a lot of high picks, and a lot of cap space to use.

Enjoy this season for what it is, ramp up expectations next year.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm not necessarily "upset" per se, however I would describe my current mood as "concerned."

Because it seems like, from listening to Pete and seeing what's going on during the games, that he and the coaches dont have the ability to adjust defensively.

Now, whether that inability to adjust is because of lack of talent, or coaching ineptitude, or a little bit of both, that is the biggest debate and what I'm struggling with right now.

The defensive front 7 wasn't constructed to be a 3-4. Arguably the only player that's fit this scheme has been Nwosu. The other players all seem to really struggle with this scheme.

In conclusion, I would argue that the coaching staff is incompetent for putting our current defensive roster in a situation to fail.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sean Desai has 11 years of NFL experience, and Karl Scott has 33 years of experience and Hurtt has what 9 years?

This is not an inexperienced defensive coaching staff. It's one of the more veteran in the league and Desai and Scott were brought in for the very reason of adding experienced coaches with pedigrees with good defensive scheming and development.

So I totally get Pete's frustration. But he knows what most of us know, you can't scheme bad players into success.
Desei also has experience being a successful DC in the league as well.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
i'm curious what your expectations were heading into the season. i'm guessing you didn't think we would be super competitive post-wilson and without stars on defense. but in fairness in no way could you have seen this defensive meltdown, either. you're like most on these forums, torn because with even a decent run defense and pass rush we would be fighting for the division. i get it. we started to exceed expectations, created new hopes and expectations, and now each subsequent loss stings.

the offense is fairly young, has overperformed, and is in good shape. geno will probably be extended.

but there's nothing to sugarcoat with the defense. pass coverage is ok. however there is no pass rush. qbs have all day to throw. we also have the worst run defense in the league. it's not just the scheme. barton, diggs, poona, mone, taylor, jefferson, etc have played extremely poorly against the run. their needs to be a massive overhaul on the defensive side of the ball this offseason, and that also includes replacing the coordinator(s) and getting a proven guy to come in before the draft and giving him the keys to the defense. no more clint hurtt/norton. no more promoting unknowns.

the defense has to change, or all our offensive improvements/investments will be for nothing.
I think the biggest disappointment with the defense is the regression from the second half of last season to today. Even when we run 4-3, players such as Ford, Mone and Taylor look like they took massive steps back. I never expected them to be world beaters, but something has to give with the defense. We've been trying to rebuild it since 2018 at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score

The expectations are from the wins and losses. And the differences in between.

When Seattle this year was rolling, they were rolling.

Seattle losing in this manner, is total opposite of that.

How does it fall so far? Complete 180 at times.

You can lose and will lose games in this league but to the manner of how you lose is very telling.

How did Seattle look so good against, let’s say the Chargers, and god awful against the Raiders, Bucs, Saints, Falcons, now Panthers.

What exactly did the coaching staff get right in that Chargers game that they completely whiff on these games?

These are not necessarily one possession games that they are losing, it’s throughout the game, drives, not stopping offenses on third downs, allowing huge gashing runs, etc.

Were the wins more so, “fluke” wins? Cause the way Seattle is losing tells alot of how this coaching staff “gets the team ready” to play.

They don’t look ready at all and sometimes they look “ready.”

Why is it so night and day??!

Are there some issues with the coaching staff “working together?”

Clearly, when it doesn’t work, it REALLY doesn’t work!

That’s all.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I am sick and tired of hearing "expectations at the start of the season" as an excuse to suck or a reason its okay to suck.

Who had those expectations? The Media? HA! I don't care about some monkey suit prompter reader's thoughts on the Hawks.

My expectations is all that matters to me. I said playoffs at the start and I am saying playoffs now!

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I was able to catch the 4th quarter as FOX made the decision that was SF/TB game was uncompetitive from what I saw it seemed like defense didn’t want to be there the D line couldn’t get off blocks and tackle. Could the team have been looking past Carolina and thinking about the 9ers? Team didn’t look ready to play

cymatica

Reaction score
Yeah, it sucks to lose but there's no reason to exaggerate - all 4 losses to the NFC South were.1 score games.
That's sugar coating a turd. Carolina was in control the entire game. They gave up some explosive plays and then tightened up until the garbage time drive. That was realistically a 2 possession loss against a bad team. Tampa was the same deal, only at the very end did Seattle have a chance and then Tampa just ran the clock out. Atlanta and NO were closer but they both shredded the defense and they are both bad teams.

When the worst division in football destroys your defense and you lose every game, there is no positive spin that can be applied

cymatica

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but did he ever explain that punt in the 4th?

m0ng0

Reaction score
Who is to say if Hurtt had a few fresh faces on the dl next year we might improve by leaps and bounds? People want to knee jerk react that the coaches need to be fired when they are playing chess with 4 pawns and one rook.

Do you really think if we had a brilliant mind on defense our defense as currently constructed would be top 5? Check yourselves, everybody wants IMMEDIATE results and firing the DC is not necessarily the answer.

knownone

Reaction score
My interpretation of that quote is that Pete expects them to be able to compensate for their defensive deficiencies through the scheme. You can interpret the implications of that statement in several different ways: A) Players are executing correctly, but we lack physical talent such that it doesn't matter what the coaches scheme; teams still have no issue exploiting it. B) We have the physical talent, but players can't execute properly. This would likely be youth, mental mistakes, etc. Or C) The scheme is too simplistic, and in-game coaching/strategy is the issue.

From my vantage point, our issues are a combination of A and B. And I'm reasonably sure, as we enter the off-season, we'll hear Pete and John admit to that fact. The simple fact is that their projections this offseason were wrong. For example, they expected Darrell Taylor to be the starting OLB opposite of Nwosu. We're currently relying on Irvin to fill that void, and he probably wouldn't make another team's roster.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The defense hasn’t been good since we hit the jackpot with that legendary defense. We haven’t gotten better for 7-8 years now…..maybe the staff isn’t capable of producing a really good defense unless they hit with players drafted? I don’t think Pete taking over the defense is going to make a massive difference

cymatica

Reaction score
Do you really think if we had a brilliant mind on defense our defense as currently constructed would be top 5? Check yourselves, everybody wants IMMEDIATE results and firing the DC is not necessarily the answer.
No one is saying they would be top 5. They might be at least average or slightly below average. Right now they are one of the worst overall and probably one of the worst run defenses of all time.

Fade

Reaction score
The same guy who put this failed defensive staff together to help run the defense, also handpicked these players to build this defense with.

So pick your poison. The same guy is responsible for the schemes they implement and the players on this defense.

Based on interviews after the game. Pete is going to roll his sleeves up and get more involved, which I think will improve things a little bit. As Hurtt is not an NFL DC, he wouldn't be anywhere else.

My recommendation is Pete should basically become the DC and take full control for the rest of the year. Acknowledge he got it wrong with Hurtt.

Clean house in the off-season. And go get a real DC that is proven, and let him bring in his staff to fully refresh that side of the ball.

They currently have a 1 foot in and 1 foot out situation, creating a Generic Fangio-Pete abomination. And those defenses couldn't be more opposite. Like mixing Country and Rap, terrible.

Paul Allen would've fixed this years ago. God rest his soul.

Polk738

Reaction score
Like mixing Country and Rap, terrible.

lol I love that line

Clean house in the off-season. And go get a real DC that is proven, and let him bring in his staff to fully refresh that side of the ball.

I see very few players remaining on that D-line next year, Jefferson, Ford, Collier, Mone I'm pretty sure will all be gone-I'll really be surprised if Woods suits up again next year with how much his snap counts have been reduced over the season.