Carson Is Done (Opinion)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This quote from Pete yesterday at the close of the 3 day minicamp regarding Carson says it all. IMO, he's played his final down. I loved watching him run for us but it's not worth his health or life to even attempt a comeback. He was in the building a couple weeks back and suggested he still wants to try to play but doesn't have a full range of motion in his neck.

“Our guys love this game that they grow up playing, and when they sense that there may be an end to it, it’s hard. It’s difficult, and it’s real,” Carroll said. “And we’re going to love him through it and help him as much as possible, if that’s the case, like we do with everybody when it comes to the end of it. It’s inevitable. It’s coming, but it’s always too soon, so we’re trying to fight that off.”

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, would not be surprised at all if he hangs them up. Such great fun to watch, but he deserves a good life after football that isn't in a wheelchair or worse.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I agree. I assumed it was likely when we drafted a running back in the 2nd round.

These front offices tell you more by the their actions than anything else.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sad but true unfortunately. I suspect any decision on this situation will be rolled down the road as long as there is still some hope he'll be able play again but I too think he's done. I will miss his hard running style.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kam, Cliff........guys just don't come back from these types of neck injuries.

They just don't. Pete and John already knew this, thus spending a high pick on Walker.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Carson always ran harder than we had a right to expect and frankly, than he needed to.

Really loved him as a player. Hated how much he fought for yardage that we didn't need compared to how much we needed him to stay on the field.

Really disappointing to hear he is hurt and hope he can recover enough to have a normal life (or normal enough) off the field.

This does suck though.

kidhawk

Reaction score
There have been little tidbits all off season that have made me wonder about Carson being available to us this year, but the moment we drafted Walker, I knew that spelled the end for Carson here. I am not surprised to be hearing that this could end his career, but it does make me sad. This guy was a pure joy to watch on the field. He worked hard and it showed every time he took the field. I wouldn't put him up there with Lynch in terms of how much fun I had watching him run the ball, but it was still fun to watch him work. He brought a lot to our offense and even though I believe his replacement (Walker) will do an amazing job, I will always remember what kind of player Carson was for us.

nanomoz

Reaction score
For the record, I'd have been stoked with Walker III's drafting even if Carson's injury hadn't been catastrophic.

But, yeah, it's sounding like it would be reckless for him to suit up again. Especially at the position he plays and how he plays it. I've got some spinal compression between C6 and C7 and it's pretty awful. There's bad days and horrendous days. Once you have an injury like that which has affected range of motion in your spine, the problems don't ever really go away. And you're at a much greater risk of catastrophic injury/re-injury.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Kam, Cliff........guys just don't come back from these types of neck injuries.

They just don't. Pete and John already knew this, thus spending a high pick on Walker.
Mack Strong, too. Though he was further in his career than those guys. Hurt his neck against Pittsburgh and iirc just retired a few weeks later.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Mack Strong, too. Though he was further in his career than those guys. Hurt his neck against Pittsburgh and iirc just retired a few weeks later.
+ Rocket Lockette.
Neck injuries like these are nothing to fool around with.
Losing Carson just makes me sick, hopefully he has other non-football passions that he can go after.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It just sucks, the guy is a perfect example of running TOO hard.

Aircrew

Reaction score
I had a strong feeling Carson's career was over last year when the team was tight lipped about him in the weeks leading up to being put on IR and ending his season. The silence was deafening then and spoke volumes. All this says now is he's done, just waiting for the last evaluation and then the announcement. Chris was fun to watch, hope his health is good for life after football.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
There was a lengthier write up than I've seen anywhere else in the Tacoma News Tribune yesterday. It said that Chris Carson has a second doctor appointment sceduled to determine if he can be cleared to play since his doctors didn't give the go ahead at his last evaluation. They said that he didn't have the neck/head rotating abiltiy needed.

Here's the full article:

I REALLY like Carson and it would be sad not to see him on the field, but even worse to see anything permanent to cause his life to be less than healthy.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
+ Rocket Lockette.
Neck injuries like these are nothing to fool around with.
Losing Carson just makes me sick, hopefully he has other non-football passions that he can go after.
Lockette's wasn't a "might be" kind of injury. It was way more catastrophic from the get go. Glad the man is doing well, last I read about him.

W

Welshers

Hopefully he is OK for the remainder of his life. he has taken a lot of amage

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruminator

Reaction score
Shoot, football can be brutal, and I hate that. What this does is make me hope K-Walk can have at least a half dozen relatively healthy years as a professional football player, and NOT ever have to hang it up because of something concerning.

Spohawks

Reaction score
His job was to run hard and fight for yards...and he did exactly that. He went out like a champion for the Seahawks and he should be remembered for that.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Not sure how much money Carson saved during his career but I hope he saved enough. Loved the guy as a Seahawks player but Carson as a human is more important and I hope he recovers and walks away intact. Great guy.