Confidence in Waldron is teetering

LTH

Reaction score
Sounds like a dumb strategy: don't use something that is most likely to work so you can get your rookie some catches.

I doubt they open it up. They'll be the same Jekyll and Hyde team they've been until the coaches stop screwing around and stick to what this team is good at, no matter how butthurt players get for selfish reasons.
Tell me why else they would not use the strongest part of their game against the best D in the league? They are not stupid.
They are using about half their playbook why?

I'll tell you why I think...it's because they need to develope certain concepts, schemes, and players to be successful and JSN is one of those players that needs to be at the top of his game for them to make a deep play off run.

What happened is this game just slipped away because they didn't execute... like at the end of the first half. They should have been right back in that game. But now they know what they need to fix against elite competition.

It's just my take.... but why else would they NOT USE the strongest part of their game? It make absolutely no sense!

Edit: don't get me wrong I'm not saying they sacrificed the game. I think they thought they could win using those personal groupings and the game just got away from them. Why they didn't use the TE sets in the second half I don't know but I'm sure their was a reason we just don't know it. You watch when Pete opens it up this O is going to roll!

LTH

Last edited:

cymatica

Reaction score
Tell me why else they would not use the strongest part of their game against the best D in the league? They are not stupid.
They are using about half their playbook why?

I'll tell you why I think...it's because they need to develope certain concepts, schemes, and players to be successful and JSN is one of those players that needs to be at the top of his game for them to make a deep play off run.

What happened is this game just slipped away because they didn't execute... like at the end of the first half. They should have been right back in that game. But now they know what they need to fix against elite competition.

It's just my take.... but why else would they NOT USE the strongest part of their game? It make absolutely no sense!

Edit: don't get me wrong I'm not saying they sacrificed the game. I think they thought they could win using those personal groupings and the game just got away from them. Why they didn't use the TE sets in the second half I don't know but I'm sure their was a reason we just don't know it. You watch when Pete opens it up this O is going to roll!

LTH
It's not just the personal groupings. Geno was getting pressured every other snap and Waldron made it worse by calling long developing routes, not moving the pocket, and abandoning the run.

I don't buy the fact they refused to use the tight end groupings because they think they need a rookie wr for a deep playoff run. That sounds like something no coaches would do ever.

Explain how players are supposed to execute when the coach is calling a game that plays right into the opponents hand? Geno was pressured every other snap, how can he execute when the play sends the receivers out on long routes without giving him an outlet? How is K9 and the online supposed to execute when your coach calls run plays straight up the gut against a team that has been stuffing middle runs all year?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Lighten up, Francis. You're blasting that guy on the regular. Do you. Go DK!
Haters gonna' hate, indeed.

keasley45

Reaction score
Of course the rebuttal is that if you can't drive the ball downfield then they sit on the short stuff and you can't do that either. Here are some examples that I was just looking at earlier. At least for these plays I think personnel execution was the glaring issue over the play call.

4:04 1st - 2nd & 11 at SEA 46
Parkinson does run a quick out and appears open. Geno bounces a pass to Lockett instead and Romo thinks it was miscommunication. It could also have to do with Peters getting bull rushed back into Geno, and Geno not being able to step into the throw and deliver it with power. That leads to the difficult third down on the following play...

4:01 1st - 3rd & 11 at SEA 46
The play where their five rushers demolished our seven protectors. With the benefit of hindsight, I would rather see Charb chip and release into the flat here rather than counting on the protection holding up. Hard not to ultimately blame the OL here though.

12:11 2nd - 3rd & 4 at SEA 32
Protection holds up here and I have zero idea what Lockett and Geno were doing on this one. Throw is way over Lockett's head right to the DB and intercepted. Probably just a terrible throw from Geno but Lockett looked a bit confused pre-snap.

9:55 2nd - 2nd & 8 at SEA 39
Really ugly sack with them rushing four and us protecting six (Walker kept in to protect). Walker seems like the issue here, as he tries to chip inside?! but really just sets a pick on our own LG and then releases out to the left after Geno is sacked. My reaction is this may be the worst pass blocking rep I've seen this season from any player. Geno probably could have thrown it away before getting sacked?

I'm not sure the second half had any examples worth looking at given the game situation and the blow out score. There was a third & 15 one drive, third & 16 the next drive, really nothing that you would expect to convert a reasonable amount of the time against a strong defense.
Agree. There was another video where the host showed that the skipped pass to Tyler might have been deflected.

But yeah, I've watched the first half again a few times and it wasn't THAT bad. It was mostly execution.

But still, the plan wasn't fast enough in realizing how ineffective our protections was. That kind if adjustment shoukd be automatic. They were just off. Shane could have realized it and done something to help.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I don't think Waldron's the problem. Just my take.

Reactions: LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

I think he's definitely part of the problem. How much a part? That's a good question.

I do see some good creativity with his formations and layered playcalling. But the Rams style of deceptive playcalling with different plays disguised with the same formation needs success early on in games in order to open up those formation plays later on.

So when our offense struggles early in games, which is happening a LOT this year? Waldron is not doing a good enough job of in-game adjustments.

So B to B+ for creative playcalling out of Waldron. But D or D- for his adjustment game. Week to week, and in game.

WarHawks

Reaction score
A good qb processes and can get rid of the ball in under two seconds. Since quick processing of multiple reads apparently isn't Geno's game, maybe Waldron should just stick with planned short to intermediate crossing and out routes.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Utilizing our TE's, JSN, Bobo, screen, draw game while pounding the run game in the right mix would go a long ways.
We can't continue to rely on converting 3rd & 3+ on 15 yard completions to Lockett & DK.

LTH

Reaction score
It's not just the personal groupings. Geno was getting pressured every other snap and Waldron made it worse by calling long developing routes, not moving the pocket, and abandoning the run.

I don't buy the fact they refused to use the tight end groupings because they think they need a rookie wr for a deep playoff run. That sounds like something no coaches would do ever.

Explain how players are supposed to execute when the coach is calling a game that plays right into the opponents hand? Geno was pressured every other snap, how can he execute when the play sends the receivers out on long routes without giving him an outlet? How is K9 and the online supposed to execute when your coach calls run plays straight up the gut against a team that has been stuffing middle runs all year?
I mean I could answer those questions but it would be just speculation on my part. I just know that when they open it up they are going to ROll. I don't understand why Carroll and Waldron do what they do. I would love to hear the conversation between the two of them..... it would clear up a lot of things.. the only thing I know to be true is they did not use the 2 and 3 tight end sets vs the Ravens because they wanted to get JSN going.

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A good qb processes and can get rid of the ball in under two seconds. Since quick processing of multiple reads apparently isn't Geno's game, maybe Waldron should just stick with planned short to intermediate crossing and out routes.

He did this after Geno got hammered too much in the Bengals game, and it worked for most of the Cardinals game against a really bad defense, but the result against a good defense in the Ravens who now had a week of film to watch?..........lots of jumping short routes and knocking down balls.

Adjustments IMO is the most important part of a O-coordinators skill set. Like I said above, this is what he's doing a poor job of. The NFL is an adjustment league. The teams and coordinators who adjust the best usually win. Cat and Mouse. Right now our offense is too much mouse and not enough cat.

Last edited:

LTH

Reaction score
I think your right about this . I think that fans are looking at it in a different context than what's really happening with the development of this offense.

LTH